• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grossman really sucks

kenobi65

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
The Bears oughta hire Norv Turner as QB coach. Lousy head coach, but he's pretty damn good with young(ish) QBs.

Ironically enough, Norv's brother Ron is the Bears' offensive co-ordinator.

And the Bears' current QB coach is Wade Wilson, who has a reasonably good rep, AFIAK.

With Favre coming back for one more season, I'm just fine with the Bears sticking with Rexy. :D

Just parenthetically, as I'm not a Bears fan, nor a Rex Grossman fan...but decision-making *can* improve with age and experience. He does have the tools...he had some absolutely awesome games earlier in the season. The frustrating inconsistency reminds me a lot of a young Favre...remember that the Packers very nearly benched him in '94 for Mark Brunell, due to the bad decision-making. They didn't, and he finally figured it out.

Now, I'm not saying that Grossman is the next Brett Favre, but he's not Kyle Orton or Craig Krenzel (to name two Bears starters from recent years who were *consistently* lousy).

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
DaveyJones said:
somewhere in there though he was still one of only two starting quarterbacks for a super bowl team this year.

A lot of bad to mediocre quarterbacks have started for teams that relied on defense and the running game and made it to the Super Bowl. Some of them even won (Trent Dilfer being the canonical recent example). That doesn't mean that Trent Dilfer is even close to being as good as Dan Fouts, or that Super Bowl XLI definitively proves Peyton Manning is better than Dan Marino.

Gunslinger

First Post
I thought that Sanders should have definitely been considered for MVP. With him in the lineup the Colts were 8-1 this season, and he had a pick and a FF in the Super Bowl.

kenobi65

First Post
Gunslinger said:
I thought that Sanders should have definitely been considered for MVP. With him in the lineup the Colts were 8-1 this season, and he had a pick and a FF in the Super Bowl.

Important, no doubt, but the award is only for the Super Bowl proper, and defensive players have only won the MVP in 7 Super Bowls (in other words, in most years, a defensive player has to totally stand out in their play in order to get the award).

As for Rhodes and Addai...the fact that *both* contributed so much might have wound up splitting the vote some between the two.

Vigilance

Explorer
I think Manning deserved to be the MVP for two reasons: first, he was the one making most of the decisions to run or pass because of the play calling scheme where he picks run or pass at the line.

In other words, the Colts running backs saw the ball as much as they did because Manning correctly assessed that they needed to control the ball.

Secondly, since he always got the blame when they lost (how many times did we hear "Manning can't win the big one" after his TEAM lost) I thought it was fair that he get the highest individual honor for their win.

cattoy

First Post
I think it is far too early to judge Rex Grossman fairly.

He is very inexperienced. Elway sucked his first year and a half IIRC. He ended up pretty well, don'chathink?

As for his performance in SB XLI, yeah, it wasn't all that good. In his defense, he wasn't on the field all that much. The Bears defense couldn't get Manning off the field. The Colts held the ball for 38 minutes.

One of his running backs got injured, reducing the effectiveness of the Bears running game. Also, their coaches gave up on the run far too early.

That being said. I don't think he's going to be a great QB. But he might end up being a good one in time. With a team structured like the Bears, that might be all they need.

John Crichton

First Post
cattoy said:
I think it is far too early to judge Rex Grossman fairly.
Agreed.

cattoy said:
He is very inexperienced. Elway sucked his first year and a half IIRC. He ended up pretty well, don'chathink?
Yeah, but Elway was touted as a budding superstar right out of the gate. Not a great comparison at the moment.

cattoy said:
As for his performance in SB XLI, yeah, it wasn't all that good. In his defense, he wasn't on the field all that much. The Bears defense couldn't get Manning off the field. The Colts held the ball for 38 minutes.
Personally, I think he performance was even worse than what we saw. The Bears were lucky to have the lead for the majority of the first half so they effectively were able to hide Grossman. The second they needed him to come through he threw a pick. Then another.

cattoy said:
One of his running backs got injured, reducing the effectiveness of the Bears running game. Also, their coaches gave up on the run far too early.
I credit the Colts Defense, myself. With the exception of the long Jones run they stuffed the Bears' running attack just like they did to KC, Baltimore and NE. As expected, the Colts were going to make Grossman beat them. Good game planning as he clearly wasn't up to the task.

cattoy said:
That being said. I don't think he's going to be a great QB. But he might end up being a good one in time.
Totally agree. ~25 starts is not a good measuring stick for a QB.

cattoy said:
With a team structured like the Bears, that might be all they need.
He'll have to really step up against blitzes and get better on his short throws. He doesn't have very good pocket presence which is hard to learn. He does throw a very good deep ball but needs to make better decisions on to when to let it rip. To quote a local radio host, he's god a little Brett Favre in him, just not the good part.

But yeah, we'll see how he progresses as a QB. 2-3 more years down the road is a better barometer for him.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see where the current crop of younger QBs goes. Carson Palmer is the best bet to lead the pack. Big Ben already has a ring. Leinart looked good as did Rivers. Eli Manning should make big steps next season. We'll see how Romo bounces back. Vince Young already looks like he could take a team to a Super Bowl. Am I missing any big names?

Last edited:

Remove ads