• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott thanks for posting and expanding on the original commentary.

You mentioned the celebrity buzz that gets generated by engaging Penny Arcade and Wil Weaton. Could you tell us if there are any plans to engage other celebrities as part of the marketing campaign?

Also, has there been any serious discussionof hosting a webcomic or guest webcomics on the WotC website to bring in new traffic?

Thanks

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Scott, can you elaborate on what "retool delve night" means?

I have been running the delves for a few months at the FLGS but it's not a huge success yet and would be curious what to look forward to in terms of support from WoTC.

I don't want to give out specifics right now as we are embarking on a small store test of new kits/program and I don't want to lead the jury and/or say something that doesn't happen in the final re-tooling.

I can say that broadly speaking we want to create a program that is conducive to public play has a certain level of repeat play value (stickiness) that keeps people coming back to play on a regular basis.

Thanks for supporting the program up to this point.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Scott thanks for posting and expanding on the original commentary.

You mentioned the celebrity buzz that gets generated by engaging Penny Arcade and Wil Weaton. Could you tell us if there are any plans to engage other celebrities as part of the marketing campaign?

Also, has there been any serious discussionof hosting a webcomic or guest webcomics on the WotC website to bring in new traffic?

Thanks

Yes we have a list of celebrities that we regularly send product too. We laso use a product placement agency that works to get D&D into TV shows and movies.

Do you mean like OoTS? If so, then yes we have had conversations about web comics and web cartoons for the site. Currently we are working on more web cartoons with Adam@ Bitey Castle but I don't think we have any plans for a comic strip at this time

Greg K

Legend
Many of the gamers I am friends with left D&D at 2nd edition for HERO system. They did not come back to 4e because well, HERO already has the power structure built in, and they feel HERO does it better than 4e. I can't comment as I am more familiar with 4e than HERO at this point.

One of the systems I tried for fantasy when I left 2e and , before returning with 3e, was Hero. Upon seeing 4e, one of my thoughts was that I would rather use Hero (and, now, Mutants and Masterminds with the release of Warriors and Warlocks). With Hero or M&M I don't need to buy tons of supplements as both games give me the system to build what I want. Both also, imo, do a better job handling familiars, animal companions etc with 4e feeling more like early Hero System for such things.

Many older gamers (like myself) do not like the gameplay of the powerstructure. Many of us feel very little difference between playing a wizard or a rogue or a paladin. It is almost like every character was reduced to a class with its own specialized 'spell list'.

It feels as if the change to 4e threw out the baby with the bathwater.
This is my opinion as well. There are some 4e things that I think would have been good changes if ithe designers had remained closer to the 3e.

Corinth

First Post
The results of the brand recognition survey bear out what I suspected for some time, which is that WOW is to MMORPGs what D&D is to TRPGs, and that these two properties have no internal competition- but instead are in competition with each other because nothing else can challenge them.

Herschel

Adventurer
mong the people in my gaming group, we do perceive this edition to be a very good miniatures game and a fairly average RPG. If this rules set where placed in a product similar to Descent I would be very interested in buying. However, as an RPG it does not really interest me.

I think it's more trying to get information for different learning styles than an actual set of rules.

One of the main things that brought me back to the current edition of D&D is that the RPG portion is more free form and back in the hands of the DM to do with and adjudicate as wanted/needed. I'm looking forward to the new chapter in DMG2.

I really like the way there are very few listed "skills" for non-combat situations but I know my son, for example, who has never been a DM wants/needs some things written out for him as a guide. I felt fairly natural just "jumping in", but I'm very outgoing and have a lot of experience being highly visible and interacting with people. Public speaking has never bothered me. I'm more of a "show me and let me jump in and learn while doing". I'm probably not in the majority though.

Others I know like to learn by reading all the material and having scenarios presented as examples before they actually run a game. They also may not feel confident being in front of a group without most everything lined up.

Different strokes for different folks. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think there's any need for more rules around role playing, just more guides and hints as to how to do it.

RefinedBean

First Post
You know what'd be awesome? Have the guy from Dead Fantasy and Dead Fantasy 2 do a wicked-awesome animation of a 4E party kicking butt.

Thinkin' outside the box, one lame idea at a time.

But seriously, get on that. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
How's the 'D&D' lifestyle thing going?

For example, could I order a 4x shirt with the cover image of Blackmoor 1 (I think it was DA1) in honor of Dave's passing?

Coffee cups with different iconics on them?

Key Rings?

Things that you can get with 'swag' points and a minimum purchase from Reaper for example?

(Might be there but I'm pretty unaware of it.)

Hereticus

First Post
I would like to thank Scott for appearing here on this thread, he has been very clear and forthcoming.

Can you clarify, in a general sense, how you plan to go after prior edition hold-outs?

Do you plan in any way to bring the game to us? Or do you plan to convince us that we should switch to the game pretty much as it is now?

No edition war here, but for my own personal enjoyment, 3E provides a significantly more rewarding gaming experience. Are you going to try to market to me? I don't mean that as confrontational or to imply you owe me anything. But do you mean people like me when you say you will target older edition players? If no, that is cool. I'll go on having fun just as I am now. If yes, then I'll pay attention. I'll be open minded and see what you offer. It is going to take a lot. But I'd love to see you pull it off. I'd be thrilled.

But I'm not clear that you even intend to try what I'm asking. Do you?

I agree with you, and there has been only silence when fans of earlier editions ask for something. That means for all practical purposes it is a dead issue.

I will be hosting Delve Nights at the local RPG store on May 7th, and from what I heard upthread that it will be run with fifth level characters. However I am concerned that the next one will be 18th level, that may be over my head to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads