Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Richards

Legend
I liked the movie, but I liked the first two better. And I absolutely hated this interpretation of Adam Warlock, who was one of my favorite "cosmic" characters when I was growing up reading Marvel Comics.

Johnathan

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

An excellent send off for our favourite characters. Everyone got a very satisfying character arc but there were no pat endings.

The plot plotted along plottily. No holes or "where did that come from?" moments and the pacing was the usual, seat of the pants stuff we expect from Gunn's Guardians.

There were plenty of brief cameos with characters from the earlier movies which is a cute Easter egg for the fans. But none of them got given too much time. Both my wife and I were very satisfied to hear Craglan admit that Cosmo* is a good dog. The bits were cute asides, not whole unwanted character arcs getting shoe-horned in because they were GM PCs. (Taika, I'm looking at you. Love your work dude but Thor 4 got a bit self indulgent.)

High Evolutionary was a really hateable villain; the best villain we've had, probably since Loki was a bad guy. I mean, the guy tortured cute fuzzy animals and casually committed genocide. I like how Gunn puts father figures through the wringer. First Yondu, then Ego, now this guy.

Best Marvel movie in a while.

*Can we just call her Laika?

Edit: accidentally posted too early.

Last edited:

The plot plotted along plottily. No holes or "where did that come from?" moments and the pacing was the usual, seat of the pants stuff we expect from Gunn's Guardians.

I noticed several plot holes, including the inexplicable absence of both Rocket's aero-rigs from Guardians 2 and Quill's space helmet from Guardians 1, timeline issues with Knowhere conveniently traveling vast distances that took most of 48 hours for the others to travel earlier in the movie, and the way thousands of sharkbot whatevers swarming Knowhere conveniently disappeared right after Kraglin and the dog killed a dozen or so of them.

The way the dozens of bad guys failed to land a single shot on any of the protagonists during a 3 minute long fighting sequence probably counts as Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu but it was taken to such an extreme that it practically became a plot hole for me. Like, seriously, nobody took a hit?!? What kind of guards are these?

Rocket's personal timeline is also kind of wonky. He first sees a rocket on the same day he figures out what's wrong with the evolutionary acceleration, and on that day he's still talking in baby voice. Apparently a day or three later, they've tried out his suggestion, are ready to kill batch 89, except that he kills them first and escapes, and that day he's talking in full adult Bradley Cooper voice. I don't know whether that sequence is supposed to be a few days long or a few months long--neither one makes sense.

I enjoyed the movie but I wouldn't say it has no plot holes. (Yes, yes, other Marvel movies are worse but still.)

Clint_L

Hero
I thought it was forgettable popcorn entertainment.

I loved the first one. I saw it five times in the theatre.

I saw the second one once. It was fine. Starting to get too sentimental and predictable.

SPOILERS!!!!

This one was weirdly sentimental and callous at different times. The animal buddies were a cheap pop and basically existed to show that the High Evolutionary is really EEEEEEVUL. He's the least developed villain Marvel has ever had - why did he do what he did, anyway? Obsessed with perfection or something? Why? And every line was delivered as a kind of hysterical shout. Also, with all the technological prowess he was shown possessing, specifically around biology, that was the best he could do for a new face? Okay.

And then a whole planet full of sentient animals was wiped out with really zero emotional consequences (it was entirely wiped out, right? It's kind of unclear in the film). Also, that planet's entire sentient population could only have been at most, what, a few decades old given the timeline of the film, yet their world was completely lived in, with beater cars, slums, etc. That just didn't make any sense.

Peter was a drunk at the beginning and then he wasn't. Okay. Gamora has a new family in the Ravagers now? Okay. Adam Warlock had a pro wrestling character turn, from heel to babyface over the course of a few minutes.

I dunno - not for me. On the other hand, Gunn's Peacemaker series was fantastic, so it's not like the guy lost it. More like after getting burned by Disney he decided to make the most Disney-fied version of Guardians imaginable. "You don't want anything remotely edgy, huh? Okay, I'll give you family friendly. Have some baby raccoons."

Not for me.

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I noticed several plot holes, including the inexplicable absence of both Rocket's aero-rigs from Guardians 2 and Quill's space helmet from Guardians 1,

Not carrying equipment they carried in previous movies is not a plot hole. I will grant you that, in Quill's case, there's no reason for him to not have his space helmet. But we don't see it at all in this movie. We in fact see him using another space suit. You know, the one that Mantis threw out the garbage shute. So although a bit odd, not a plot hole.

I don't actually remember Rocket's rockets...

I will say that bit with Quill nearly dying trying to jump across the gap was unnecessary. It was only included so Warlock could do something good to show he was redeemable and that cheesy shot of of their hands reaching out to one another. Could have done without it.

timeline issues with Knowhere conveniently traveling vast distances that took most of 48 hours for the others to travel earlier in the movie, and the way thousands of sharkbot whatevers swarming Knowhere conveniently disappeared right after Kraglin and the dog killed a dozen or so of them.

Also not a plot hole. Its a short hand. Knowhere (is it really spelled with a K?) is home to many people. Most of whom have been shown to be capable in a fight. It's a real hive of scum and villainy. We get the short hand version of the battle for Knowhere because these aren't the protagonists.

The way the dozens of bad guys failed to land a single shot on any of the protagonists during a 3 minute long fighting sequence probably counts as Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu but it was taken to such an extreme that it practically became a plot hole for me. Like, seriously, nobody took a hit?!? What kind of guards are these?

Again, not a plot hole. Let me put this in gamer terms for ya. It's the scene where the high level PCs get to look and feel awesome by wading through mooks.

Rocket's personal timeline is also kind of wonky. He first sees a rocket on the same day he figures out what's wrong with the evolutionary acceleration, and on that day he's still talking in baby voice. Apparently a day or three later, they've tried out his suggestion, are ready to kill batch 89, except that he kills them first and escapes, and that day he's talking in full adult Bradley Cooper voice. I don't know whether that sequence is supposed to be a few days long or a few months long--neither one makes sense.

Actually, you know what, this might be a bit of a plot hole. Rocket does seem to mature pretty quickly there. But a very minor quibble, and doesn't actually effect anything going forward.

I enjoyed the movie but I wouldn't say it has no plot holes. (Yes, yes, other Marvel movies are worse but still.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I thought it was forgettable popcorn entertainment.

I loved the first one. I saw it five times in the theatre.

I saw the second one once. It was fine. Starting to get too sentimental and predictable.

SPOILERS!!!!

This one was weirdly sentimental and callous at different times. The animal buddies were a cheap pop and basically existed to show that the High Evolutionary is really EEEEEEVUL. He's the least developed villain Marvel has ever had - why did he do what he did, anyway? Obsessed with perfection or something? Why? And every line was delivered as a kind of hysterical shout. Also, with all the technological prowess he was shown possessing, specifically around biology, that was the best he could do for a new face? Okay.

And then a whole planet full of sentient animals was wiped out with really zero emotional consequences (it was entirely wiped out, right? It's kind of unclear in the film). Also, that planet's entire sentient population could only have been at most, what, a few decades old given the timeline of the film, yet their world was completely lived in, with beater cars, slums, etc. That just didn't make any sense.

Peter was a drunk at the beginning and then he wasn't. Okay. Gamora has a new family in the Ravagers now? Okay. Adam Warlock had a pro wrestling character turn, from heel to babyface over the course of a few minutes.

I dunno - not for me. On the other hand, Gunn's Peacemaker series was fantastic, so it's not like the guy lost it. More like after getting burned by Disney he decided to make the most Disney-fied version of Guardians imaginable. "You don't want anything remotely edgy, huh? Okay, I'll give you family friendly. Have some baby raccoons."

Not for me.
I agree with a lot of this. G3 was much weaker. I dont think Ronan was a more developed villain though.

Not carrying equipment they carried in previous movies is not a plot hole. I will grant you that, in Quill's case, there's no reason for him to not have his space helmet. But we don't see it at all in this movie. We in fact see him using another space suit. You know, the one that Mantis threw out the garbage shute. So although a bit odd, not a plot hole.

Every single Guardians movie has someone almost die or actually die due to vacuum exposure. Both Peter and Rocket have specialized, lightweight equipment to help them deal with this hazard. After Yondu's death in Guardians 2 due to the Guardians having one too few of Rocket's aero-rigs (nano-spacesuits with built-in propulsion) you'd think they'd go crazy making extras, but instead they... abandoned them completely and decided to rely on inferior spacesuits borrowed from the Ravagers?

"Plot holes are those gaps in a story where things happen without a logical reason." Plot Hole - TV Tropes

This is a plot hole.

Stalker0

Legend
Every single Guardians movie has someone almost die or actually die due to vacuum exposure. Both Peter and Rocket have specialized, lightweight equipment to help them deal with this hazard. After Yondu's death in Guardians 2 due to the Guardians having one too few of Rocket's aero-rigs (nano-spacesuits with built-in propulsion) you'd think they'd go crazy making extras, but instead they... abandoned them completely and decided to rely on inferior spacesuits borrowed from the Ravagers?

"Plot holes are those gaps in a story where things happen without a logical reason." Plot Hole - TV Tropes

This is a plot hole.
Yeah I did enjoy the movie but this is absolutely a plot hole.

Remove ads