Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Clint_L

Hero
That’s a bold claim.

I mean we have such an honored list: like whiplash, or the dark elf king that I can’t think of his name. Or the first antman villain, whose name also escapes me
Whiplash had beef with Tony because he felt Tony stole his father's idea and wanted revenge. Malekith wanted to return the universe to a simpler state where his people thrived. Yellowjacket basically just wanted money and power; standard corporate jerk. Ronan was a Kree supremacist who therefore vehemently opposed the peace treaty that his people signed and wished to carry on the war.

High Evolutionary was obsessed with perfection because...?

Like, it's a low bar. Most Marvel villains are paper thin; I just personally found this one to be entirely inexplicable. I can wrap my head around a Yellowjacket - he's basically the same villain as Iron Monger.

In the comics, High Evolutionary is a much more complicated and interesting character. This was like a paper cutout of him.

Clint_L

Hero
Marvel does have some good villains, though. Loki, obviously, and Hela. Thanos is pretty compelling even if his plan is DUMB AS ROCKS. I love Baron Zemo; his motivation makes total sense (and his plan WORKS). Killmonger absolutely has an argument. Vulture was a great low stakes villain. Doc Oc is fantastic. Ultron was fun, though their film was overstuffed. Mandarin was brilliantly performed and somewhat complex.

That’s a bold claim.

I mean we have such an honored list: like whiplash, or the dark elf king that I can’t think of his name. Or the first antman villain, whose name also escapes me
The first Thor movie has a villain so underdeveloped that I literally cannot even remember if there is one. It might be Thor's own vanity, except... if so, I don't remember it being vanquished or anything. AFAIR there's nothing specific that leads to Thor becoming "worthy" to go home. It just happens after enough movie has happened.

Clint_L

Hero
The first Thor movie has a villain so underdeveloped that I literally cannot even remember if there is one. It might be Thor's own vanity, except... if so, I don't remember it being vanquished or anything. AFAIR there's nothing specific that leads to Thor becoming "worthy" to go home. It just happens after enough movie has happened.
He offers his own life in exchange for the people of the town being spared.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Every single Guardians movie has someone almost die or actually die due to vacuum exposure. Both Peter and Rocket have specialized, lightweight equipment to help them deal with this hazard. After Yondu's death in Guardians 2 due to the Guardians having one too few of Rocket's aero-rigs (nano-spacesuits with built-in propulsion) you'd think they'd go crazy making extras, but instead they... abandoned them completely and decided to rely on inferior spacesuits borrowed from the Ravagers?

"Plot holes are those gaps in a story where things happen without a logical reason." Plot Hole - TV Tropes

This is a plot hole.

Yeah, okay. Technically correct. Have a meme.

But we see in the movie that Quill (and the rest) need to rely on the brightly coloured Ravager suits. One could say that the lack of the other space suits was Chekov-gunned and thus not a plot hole, but a plot point. Yes, it could have been clearer. But not everything needs to be spelled out in big letters for the audience. It's not a major point and time is limited.

I mean, upthread some people were complaining that the music player was set to a playlist of one decade and then we heard a song from a different playlist. IIRC this shot took place during a conversation about choosing a song. You can choose a different playlist. And we, the audience, don't need to see that happen. It suffices that we know it is something that can happen.

The real problem with the "Yay it's over, oh wait Quill doesn't have a suit he's gonna die, oh wait Warlock saved him" thing was that it was unnecessary. It added 2-3 minutes of boring running through explosions stuff that we did not need. I strongly suspect executive interference forcing this particular piece of ho-hum.

Whiplash had beef with Tony because he felt Tony stole his father's idea and wanted revenge. Malekith wanted to return the universe to a simpler state where his people thrived. Yellowjacket basically just wanted money and power; standard corporate jerk. Ronan was a Kree supremacist who therefore vehemently opposed the peace treaty that his people signed and wished to carry on the war.

High Evolutionary was obsessed with perfection because...?

Like, it's a low bar. Most Marvel villains are paper thin; I just personally found this one to be entirely inexplicable. I can wrap my head around a Yellowjacket - he's basically the same villain as Iron Monger.

In the comics, High Evolutionary is a much more complicated and interesting character. This was like a paper cutout of him.

I mean, you're not wrong. He's not a well-developed character. His motives are super-villain simple. He's a tech squillionaire with a god complex. A total narcissistic sociopath.* He chews some scenery, and commits genocide and animal cruelty. What's not to hate? As is frequently pointed out in these Marvel threads: the movie is about the heroes. I'm much happier having interesting character arcs for the protagonists than a deep backstory for the villain. YKMV**

* any resemblance to real world squiilionaires is almost certainly intended.
** I've gone metric.

Yeah, okay. Technically correct. Have a meme.

But we see in the movie that Quill (and the rest) need to rely on the brightly coloured Ravager suits. One could say that the lack of the other space suits was Chekov-gunned and thus not a plot hole, but a plot point. Yes, it could have been clearer. But not everything needs to be spelled out in big letters for the audience. It's not a major point and time is limited.

The real problem with the "Yay it's over, oh wait Quill doesn't have a suit he's gonna die, oh wait Warlock saved him" thing was that it was unnecessary. It added 2-3 minutes of boring running through explosions stuff that we did not need. I strongly suspect executive interference forcing this particular piece of ho-hum.
Even before that, the problem with the "oh no we flushed out Ravager suits out the airlock" is that they had no reason to be wearing the inferior Ravager suits in the first place. The fact that it comes back to bite them a second time in the same movie is just, facepalm.

Remove ads