D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

I'm still leaning polearm. Rogues can take care of themselvse, and you still have 2 other's to take some heat off the wizard.

But if you want to play shield, that's fine too.

I think i am. Let the Barb do the big weapon kinda thing while I do the more tanky thing. We will both be BIG problems for the enemy front line, and since he is going GWM not Polearm his damage wont be too far ahead of mine typically unless he needs it or I set it up. A bit better CC when he kills or crits, but 4.5+7 vs 6.5+6 when raging is only 1 damage difference 2 or 3 over time. Maxed out 16 vs 17.5 if I did my math right and with sentinel I'll proc reaction attacks more often so it should be pretty even. So except when he's using his power attack I'll be right there in terms of damage. And we both have really good defensive strategies in place.

Consensus seems to be to take the heavy armor master for the 20 str and old school DR. If anyone would like to, I'd love to hear an argument for sword/board w/vengeance, or sentinel Or shield master at 1.

Otherwise shield master at 4, sentinel at 8.

Annnnd skill wise not hearing a lot of chatter. Perception and athletics are gold, persuasion is gold, insight is smart, but do I want to just grab intimidate, or would medicine or religion be a reasonable RP choice?

mellored

Legend
Consensus seems to be to take the heavy armor master for the 20 str and old school DR. If anyone would like to, I'd love to hear an argument for sword/board w/vengeance, or sentinel Or shield master at 1.

Otherwise shield master at 4, sentinel at 8.
That works.

Consider taking 1 level of rogue (move your 13 into dex) for atletic expertise after you get shield master. (or rather, after multi-attack and aura). It will really boost your knock down chances and damage. You can still use Str to attack with a rapier.

Annnnd skill wise not hearing a lot of chatter. Perception and athletics are gold, persuasion is gold, insight is smart, but do I want to just grab intimidate, or would medicine or religion be a reasonable RP choice?
Except athletics, which you need for shield master, you can't optimze skills very much. Take what you want.

now I just need to figure out my oath. :D

Really all 3 PHb oaths work. Crown.... might work if I reflavor it.

Ancient and vengeance are the ones im lookin at....

Wanting a Holy Avengwe complicates things.

Finished the Xanathar's updates. Overall, Paladins actually did pretty well with it. Not many spells, but two of the three they get are quality.

As for Oaths, Conquest is good, working great with already existing frightening tools like Wrathful Smite and having great synergy with Shield Master. And Redemption, while its tenants are still a pain in the butt, is more effective as a defender/support character than I initially thought.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Finished the Xanathar's updates. Overall, Paladins actually did pretty well with it. Not many spells, but two of the three they get are quality.

As for Oaths, Conquest is good, working great with already existing frightening tools like Wrathful Smite and having great synergy with Shield Master. And Redemption, while its tenants are still a pain in the butt, is more effective as a defender/support character than I initially thought.

What do you think of the 30ft fear channel divinity that conquest gets? I think it's pretty dang good for a paladin crowd control ability?

What do you think of the 30ft fear channel divinity that conquest gets? I think it's pretty dang good for a paladin crowd control ability?

It is.

Though amusingly, it's inferior to the Oathbreaker's similar CD since Conquest's lets the enemy save every round flat out, while the Oathbreaker version only allows a save after the enemy is 30 feet away.

Remove ads