• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Benny89

First Post
My friend, I linked you an anydice damage calculator so you can quickly and easily test and share your scenarios without pulling assumptions such as this out of thin air.

Verbose arguments go nowhere when substantiated by dubious napkin math :p

And I linked you this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-10-Like-a-Pro

There is a reason GWM is recommended for PAM V-Pally everywhere even in this guide right here where we are chatting.

Nephilm X

First Post

There is a reason GWM is recommended for PAM V-Pally everywhere even in this guide right here where we are chatting.

All that thread pertains to is when to use GWM once you already have it, and not the opportunity cost of the feat vs possessing a higher ability score modifier.

It has been going on for a while, so leaving aside the matters of armor, Concentration and Haste and other chaff, let's summarize the ongoing discussion. This started over you dismissing the damage-dealing potential of a Half-Elf Hexadin over a number of erroneous assumptions:

* First, you assumed it should be a sword & board wielder, when 1h PAM is an option.
* Second, you entirely dismissed accuracy from your napkin math while trying to demonstrate that GWM+PAM use leads to such a high DPR disparity with a 1h+PAM that the latter isn't worth considering.
* Third, when pressed, you added that GWM use proportionally benefits more from accuracy buffs (which is true), but within the same line of thought failed to address the existence of damage buffs, the existence of Elven Accuracy (which had already been previously brought to your attention), and lastly to support your argument you pulled accuracy values out of thin air. That's just bad form!

So why don't we actually do a test case, with hard numbers?

Level 13 Variant Human Paladin (Vengeance)
18 10 14 8 10 16 (feats: Resilient, PAM, GWM, +2 STR ASI), using a Glaive +1, Defense Fighting Style

Level 13 Half-Elf Paladin 12 / Warlock 1 (Vengeance / Hexblade)
15 10 16 8 8 20 (feats: PAM, Elven Accuracy (+1 CHA), +2 CHA ASI), using a Quarterstaff +1, Dueling Fighting Style

4 round combat. Both Haste and activate Vow of Enmity against a presumably tough enemy, leading to 10 weapon attacks and 3 butt-end attacks. 2nd level slots are spent in the case of a crit for additional 6d8 damage. Looped for AC 15 through 19, again representing a tough enemy. Human uses GWM on all his attacks of course

So what are the results?

Glaive Human: 264.85 average damage
QStaff Half-Elf: 265.5 average damage

That looks pretty close to me! Here's the math involved, you can verify yourself: https://anydice.com/program/1331a

You can also fiddle with the numbers. As things stand, granting our two heroes here better magic weapons gives more of an edge to the Human, while conversely, increasing enemy AC favors the Hexadin. But that's just niggling, how about we do something more dramatic? As I recall you saying, combat doesn't happen in a 1v1 vacuum, so in the otherwise exact same scenario above let's have a friendly Cleric cast Holy Weapon.

Glaive Human: 357.28 average damage
QStaff Half-Elf: 396.91 average damage

A wider gap! But it's a simple relationship: the stronger your individual attacks are, the more you benefit from increased accuracy - the same reason why GWM is good when you can pair it with Advantage or Superiority Dice. With Holy Weapon each strike is now delivering an extra 2d8 damage, almost double the base die+mod, making the -5/+10 trade of GWM comparatively less attractive.

Alright but so, what happens if our heroes here are not going all out? They're only mopping up normal enemies and thus are saving their VoE, and no Holy Weapon, either. For simplicity I'll keep the same number of attacks and looped for the same ACs, but here's the result:

Glaive Human: 165.8 average damage
QStaff Half-Elf: 176.35 average damage

Again, comparable with an edge towards our Hexadin. Where you expecting different? Lower AC is better for the Glaive wielder, higher AC better for the Staff wielder.

Now, I could go on and on because there's other things that can be taken into consideration when comparing the two set ups, like the Human still having the chance for another ability mod bump, or what happens if they both get belts, or the Hexadin through War Caster having reaction Booming Blade that synergizes with Relentless Avenger and later Soul of Vengeance, and the Warlock level granting access to excellent off-the-DMG weapons like the Staff of the Magi, but...

Anyway, my point since the beginning was, the damage between the two is comparable, with superiority being situational. That's what I wanted to focus on and I believe I've sufficiently demonstrated. And just as easily as a Hexadin was used here as a demonstrator, it could've been a QS+Shield VHuman going pure Paladin - the involved ability mods would be the same, though with the loss of Elven Accuracy the Glaive wielder would have more of an edge.

HTH

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

That link is broken. Regardless though, have you actually compared a level 11 paladin with polearm master and great weapon master to a level 11 paladin with just Polearm Master. Ignoring all buffs for a moment... Did you know the Polearm master only paladin actually does better damage across most AC's at that level?

Have you ever actually looked at a Polearm Master Paladin vs a GWM paladin at levels 1-4? What about at level 5? I have. Generally the Polearm master paladin is either doing outright better damage or damage that is nearly equivalent (arguably slightly better) than the GWM paladin. At virtually no level is he doing less.

Now buffs change the dynamics but they do so in more ways than just flatly increasing damage. Usually you perform some kind of trade to obtain a buff. That may involve not attack or not bonus action attacking or not having the cleric attack etc. Then it depends on what buff we are looking at. Also, sometimes you can buff without losing any meaningful actions or bonus actions. That can come from prebuffing or not being in a postion to attack on the first turn of combat.

I've said all that about buffs to say this. Let's start at the basics. Let's not look at buffs till we establish what's happening without them. After we have done that then we can see if you still think buffs are going to be enough to turn it around for your recommendations.

Last edited:

Benny89

First Post

Very well, I admit my defeat then. I stand corrected.

So GWM is not worth a hassle then.

Could you do me a favour and see how would Vuman Spear/Quaterstaff + Shield with PAM, +2 STR, +2 STR compare to Half Spear/Quaterstaff + Shield Elf PAM, 20 CHA with Elven Accuracy?

Also how big difference would be if we allow GWF to reroll Smite damage?

Marakai

First Post
PAM. Extra attack every turn vs. a situational advantage (albeit a good one)? No competition.

Thanks.

Also I see an argument of Glaive vs Spear/Staff + Shield on Vengeance Paladin.

However, wouldn't 2h polearms be better if Smites rerolls are allowed on GWF? Or is Duelist and 1h polearm always superior?

And one more question- I want to take High Elf Heritage for extra cantrip- what cantrip is good to take?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Thanks.

Also I see an argument of Glaive vs Spear/Staff + Shield on Vengeance Paladin.

However, wouldn't 2h polearms be better if Smites rerolls are allowed on GWF? Or is Duelist and 1h polearm always superior?

And one more question- I want to take High Elf Heritage for extra cantrip- what cantrip is good to take?
@Benny89 I meant to quote you

GWF increases the average damage of a d8 damage die that it effects by 12.5%. If the only tradeoff was that or the duelist +2 damage bonus then I'd rather have the bigger damage die weapon and GWF. However, the ability to use a shield for more AC is a significant advantage of the duelist style and it's something you don't get trying to use GWF and a 2 handed weapon for Polearm Master. In terms of raw damage the 2 handed weapon with PM does slightly better damage, but the difference of +2 AC from a shield still seems more significant to me than the slight damage difference

Benny89

First Post
@Benny89 I meant to quote you

GWF increases the average damage of a d8 damage die that it effects by 12.5%. If the only tradeoff was that or the duelist +2 damage bonus then I'd rather have the bigger damage die weapon and GWF. However, the ability to use a shield for more AC is a significant advantage of the duelist style and it's something you don't get trying to use GWF and a 2 handed weapon for Polearm Master. In terms of raw damage the 2 handed weapon with PM does slightly better damage, but the difference of +2 AC from a shield still seems more significant to me than the slight damage difference

+2 AC is significant but so is 10 feet reach. But if we want to maximize damage a GWF with smite rerolls would be better?

However using 2h weapon would require 3 Hexblade dip on Half-Elf because he is SAD CHA. Which is not that bad, because Darkness, Devilsight and Agonizing Blast and 2 short rest 2 level slots. However at same time we delay Paladin progress.

FrogReaver

+2 AC is significant but so is 10 feet reach. But if we want to maximize damage a GWF with smite rerolls would be better?

However using 2h weapon would require 3 Hexblade dip on Half-Elf because he is SAD CHA. Which is not that bad, because Darkness, Devilsight and Agonizing Blast and 2 short rest 2 level slots. However at same time we delay Paladin progress.

The increase in DPR for one handed polearm master paladin with duelist over a halberd polearm master paladin. For a Halbred/Glaive with 2 attacks and a bonus action d4 attack GWF adds 1.975 average damage and does d10+d10+d4. With a spear and duelist you do (d6+2=d10) d10+d10+d4 and duelist then adds 2 extra average damage on the last bonus action attack. The extra damage on smites will likely make up that .025 average damage on the first smite spell you use with the GWF variant.

You gain reach which also helps make the polearm master reaction attack easier to apply but lose 2 ac. Personally the benefits are so close to the same I can't say either is particularly more optimized than the other. If dipping hexblade I think the spear version will be better because you only need to dip a single level. If you don't dip into hexblade I'd probably lean toward the halberd/glaive using paladin.

Remove ads