• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax in the Wild: Look What I Found in a Little Free Library

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Found this today in the Little Free Library outside the B&B I'm staying at, on the Oregon Coast. Anybody ever read it? There's...a lot going on here, judging this book by its cover.
20220114_132344.jpg

20220114_132736.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
There are a ton of free libraries here in Oregon, but I never get that lucky lol. I hope you enjoy it here! I don't know where you're at, but Manzanita is my favorite beach. The exit off of 101 is a little hard to see, because you don't see the beach when you take it to head into Manzanita proper.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So I'm a few dozen pages in, and it's really not good. I'm trying to like it, I really am, but....

...well, the main character is a faux-Egyptian ("Ægyptian") magistrate, named Setne Inhetep. The lady on the cover is his "Amazonian warrior-princess" bodyguard. They solve crimes and mysteries together.

I think it's supposed to be a fantasy interpretation of a pulp noir crime novel. Like "The Dresden Files," as written by Gary Gygax.

Davies

Legend
So I'm a few dozen pages in, and it's really not good. I'm trying to like it, I really am, but....

...well, the main character is a faux-Egyptian ("Ægyptian") magistrate, named Setne Inhetep. The lady on the cover is his "Amazonian warrior-princess" bodyguard. They solve crimes and mysteries together.

I think it's supposed to be a fantasy interpretation of a pulp noir crime novel. Like "The Dresden Files," as written by Gary Gygax.
Yep, he wrote three of these set in the Ærth setting he created for Dangerous Journeys, plus a fourth that was published posthumously. They're really only of interest to those who want to get deep into that setting.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Yep, he wrote three of these set in the Ærth setting he created for Dangerous Journeys, plus a fourth that was published posthumously. They're really only of interest to those who want to get deep into that setting.

There's been a copy of that book sitting on the shelf at my FLGS since probably back when the book was new... I read the Gord the Rogue novels as they came out and liked them a lot, but I must have looked at that one thirty times or more over the past thirty years and always decided not to buy it. I even read about twenty pages of it, and then decided it wasn't something I was interested in. In my opinion it wasn't one of the G-Man's better works...

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
She looks a bit miffed someone's made off with her clothes.
Of course she is miffed there is a whipping wind blowing judging from her hair and the trailing tail/skirt is stuck on something so she cannot get out of the wind. It is probably raining also.
She is having a bad day.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
And a giant boatfish wants to make a snack out of her. That cover looks a little risque for a little library. Maybe not, I was of the impression they're mainly for children. Though, I'm all for subverting America's youth. đź‘Ť

Remove ads