Halo the series...spoilers

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, I spent a day this past weekend binging the Halo series.

As as FYI, I have never played the games. While I did play Marathon way back when on the Mac, I've always been a Mac/Playstation person, so Halo is completely foreign to me.

I gotta say ... I enjoyed it immensely. It was genuinely fun and enjoyable, and I was hooked from the opening (which was shockingly brutal) onward. I wouldn't say it's the best TV ever, but it was good. I recommend it for people looking for a fun sci-fi show to spend a little time with that has good effects, a good plot, and isn't too taxing.

My only complaint-

The Mackee plot. Like ... I liked the character, but the whole whipsaw between "hate humans and kill them all" and "okay, maybe not," to "going back to the Covenant" to "Oh, it's John again, he's so dreamy," to "dead now," didn't work for me.

Seriously- the Cortana arc was complex and nuanced and developed compared to this (and that was basically, "Follow evil doctor until you don't... but at least it had some changed facial expressions). Mackee seemed like an important character, but she was just a plot device- a deus ex machina. Eh ...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Never played any of the Halo games, but I really enjoyed the series. I had no expectations going in and was able to just enjoy it as pretty good sci fi series.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I never played any of the Halo games either, so I went into this with no expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was fairly engrossing. I agree with Snarf's comments about one character's arc that I was disappointed with. Looking forward to season 2.

Odd digression: Just the week after I finished Halo, I watched a movie called Den of Thieves, on a friend's recommendation. The movie is OK, if a little overly long, but it does some things very well. Anyway, Pablo Schreiber is one of the leads in the film, and I found myself thinking "geez - this guy is everywhere." :)

I never played any of the Halo games either, so I went into this with no expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was fairly engrossing. I agree with Snarf's comments about one character's arc that I was disappointed with. Looking forward to season 2.

Odd digression: Just the week after I finished Halo, I watched a movie called Den of Thieves, on a friend's recommendation. The movie is OK, if a little overly long, but it does some things very well. Anyway, Pablo Schreiber is one of the leads in the film, and I found myself thinking "geez - this guy is everywhere." :)
I can't believe i missed that, Den of Thieves on my list of favorite heist movies too

Remove ads