Hanable's Hunters, Part I & II

D20Dazza

Explorer
Whitlock gathers up one of the silence spheres and starts to quietly move towards the mound, working his way stealthily behind it so as to come at the ogre that gaurds the entrance from above and behind. As he moves off he says "We'll let you know when we're about to activate the sphere via the brooches. Once we do you should make your move, as soon as we see the web and entangle spells go off we'll drop the sphere into the mess"

OOC: We'll want to activate the silence sphere to mask our approach so when where within hearing distance we'll do it and then quickly move to our positions. We'll get as close to the entrance as we can without enclosing the gaurd in the sphere. As soon as we are able to see the affects of the spells we'll move on the ogre.

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Firavel d’Thuranni, Male Elf Rogue/Dragonmark Heir

Firavel shakes his head as Whitlok reveals his plan, “Selene please do not cast your entangle until after we have time to back away from placing the spheres, as I do not wish to be trapped along with the ogre, and everyone do not forget to move into position yourself so we can all attack the ogre with missile weapons when Marek casts his web...we do not want to risk it escaping into the complex,” before he takes a silence sphere himself and retraces his path to the ogre guarding the entrance.

OOC: When they get close enough and warn the rest they’re about to activate the spheres Firavel will immediately activate his, not waiting for the spell to go off so the ogre has a chance to warn his allies, and try to roll the silence orb as close to the edge of the entrance as possible but out of sight of the ogre. He will attempt to remain unseen while doing so, so he can make a sneak attack with his bow once Marek casts, firing from as far away as possible (but within 30 ft.).

D20Dazza

Explorer
Whitlock looks at Firavel "I thought we were deploying the silence spheres by lobbing them into the web and entangling undergrowth after the spells had gone off. That way we didn't need to get close enough that we'd need to back away from the spheres - seems the less dangerous way of doing things to me"

OOC: I thought we were approaching the cave from above so that it would be a case of dropping them off the bluff into the spells in the cave mouth?

unleashed

First Post
OOC: The entrance is in a mound 6 feet high and 15 feet around, so going on top of it would just show everyone we’re there. The plan at least as I’ve always stated it was to have everyone move to the side the entrance is on, web and silence the entrance, kill that ogre with everyone using missile weapons, then have the entangle cast on the mound before taking on the rest, so they have a good deal of trouble getting any sort of warning into the complex.

unleashed

First Post
OOC: I have no idea (I would assume some concealment though), but it would mean sneaking very close to the ogre guarding the entrance, rather than behind a tree or something 20 feet away (which puts us even further away from the other ogres by lucky coincidence as Firavel had to circle around the mound from where he was observing the other ogres to find the entrance).

unleashed

First Post
OOC: Well the sphere will stop us being heard, but not seen, and being on top of the mound will allow the possibility of the five ogres waiting in ambush to see us...which they likely won't if we're on the entrance side of the mound. Also don't forget that the entangle will effect the mound completely as it has a 40 ft. radius spread (so we'd then need to lob the spheres from 40 ft. away at best), that's the reason I don't want it cast until we withdraw. Ideally I'd like to save the entangle to be used to trap the five ogres in ambush exactly where they are if we don't bring them down on us taking out the entrance guard (if that doesn't come off though, casting it as they charge around the mound at us will work too). So do we need to go over the plan again before we move to a resolution?

Prof Yeti

First Post
unleashed said:
OOC: Well the sphere will stop us being heard, but not seen, and being on top of the mound will allow the possibility of the five ogres waiting in ambush to see us...which they likely won't if we're on the entrance side of the mound. Also don't forget that the entangle will effect the mound completely as it has a 40 ft. radius spread (so we'd then need to lob the spheres from 40 ft. away at best), that's the reason I don't want it cast until we withdraw. Ideally I'd like to save the entangle to be used to trap the five ogres in ambush exactly where they are if we don't bring them down on us taking out the entrance guard (if that doesn't come off though, casting it as they charge around the mound at us will work too). So do we need to go over the plan again before we move to a resolution?

OOC - That is why I had mentioned possibly using the Hide/Sneak potion and/or the potion of Invisibility for the two who went to the top of the mound (I am more than happy to add my own potions to the job.). I had planned to throw the web but target a space behind the sentry ogre (to put more web between him and reinforcements). Then at the same time had thought Selene could cast Entangle in such a way that would possibly create a space between both spells effects.

Basically we all move out keeping in touch with the brooch, on a go signal the mound duo activate the sphere and the casters spell-ify the area, then the others missile fire as possible. Round two we add everyone else we can to the missile fire concentrating on the sentry and working out (attempting to beat the spell durations).

unleashed

First Post
OOC: I ignored to potion suggestions, because Firavel never intended to go on top of the mound...as I've said numerous times he was intending on apporaching a position in front of the entrance before throwing the silence sphere near the entrance so the ogre on guard couldn't call out before hopefully firing with his sneak attack bonus at least once before retreating and firing. If we go with people being on top of the mound those two people are useless for taking down the guard, plus when the entangle goes off it will have them stuck on top of the mound unless it's all cast in the area in front of the entrance coming back toward the people casting and firing (which would be a waste in my opinion and will limit the effectiveness of it stopping any ogres entering the complex). Ideally taking out the sentry will not alert the other ogres, but if the entangle is cast it may alert them (assuming it encompasses the mound).

Remove ads