• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hands of Fate - Chapter 1 - The Orbs of Insight

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
In The Cave:

The small Kobold watches, as the question spill forth and Kevin goes over, sitting on his leader while the small halfling begins tying up the leader. Cowering even more, he turns to Darius, "Creature is black, long arms, and quiet. That all I know! It kill other kobolds, so we leave it alone. We stay our side, he stay in his. Looks like black human with very long arms."

You begin to sense that the kobold knows nothing more, as it is too frightened to talk much now. As you begin to move closer to it, you can tell he is telling the truth, and that he is too scared to go further, as he begins to wet himself.

Turning down the hallway, it is too dark to see more than a few feet, as your light source is still down the other doorway to the other room where the kobolds were hiding. Gray Sparrow, you sense something wrong, but can't put a finger on it. Perhaps with more light....

Hesseroph

First Post
Ghin Coldstream: One soon to be very upset priest of Pelor!

*Ghin delves deeper and deeper into the cavern seeking the source of the sounds. Using his shield as a guide he moves slowly and calmly, his light chasing away every inch of shadow.*

#Ghin will stay in the cave until he finds the sounds. If he is unable to get to whatever is making the sounds, he will attempt anything in his power to free or rescue. He assumes they are pups of some sort. If so he will gather them up and exit the cave. Then look for his wayward party.#

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hesseroph said:
*Ghin delves deeper and deeper into the cavern seeking the source of the sounds. Using his shield as a guide he moves slowly and calmly, his light chasing away every inch of shadow.*

#Ghin will stay in the cave until he finds the sounds. If he is unable to get to whatever is making the sounds, he will attempt anything in his power to free or rescue. He assumes they are pups of some sort. If so he will gather them up and exit the cave. Then look for his wayward party.#
In the Grove

As Ghin continues into the burrow, he immediately finds the source of the sounds. There are 3 baby wolverines. They don't look old enough to care for themselves, and apparently, the beast outside is the mother. That must be why she attacked you when you entered. It must have been a motherly instinct to protect against intruders. As you look around, you also notice a few carcasses. Rumaging around, you find the missing livestock here. The mother must have saw the livestock as possible food for her young. You also notice another carcass that does not resemble what was described by the farmer's messenger. Upon closer inspection, you see that it is a small humanoid body. QUickly checking to make sure it is not some child, you look closer, and find that it is a small orc. Orcs are not common in this area, and this carcass is fresh. You gather the young ones, who continue to yelp, and head back outside to meet the others.

Jean and Mugen:

You stand there, watching the beast slowly bleed to death, and finally hear Ghin apparently exiting the burrow. You spot the young wolverines in his hands, as they continue to yelp. Looking down, you then realize what you have done. You have slain the mother!

Gomez

First Post
"I think there is something down this hallway. Quickly get some light!" says Grey Sparrow as she intently watches down the hallway.

Hesseroph

First Post
Ghin Coldstream: Fraternal to a fault.

*Ghin exits the tunnel to find the carcass of the dead wolverine at his feet. A grim look washes over his once proud features. He glances at the young ones in his arms, pity and sadness wrenching deep from within. Cold eyes find Jean and Mugen.*

"So I see now... It appears niether of you are any better than the beast we seek, or it appears we found. We have our answers inside the cavern, please look for yourselves as I'm sure you would take it on yourselves with or without me. I releive myself from both of you. These pathetic creatures are now my charges with its mother murdered. May the light of Pelor cleanse your spirits."

*Strapping the shield to his back, Ghin turns away from his former party. Strong and defiant he strodes off towards Maximo's school, pups huddled gently in his arms.*

#Ghin is pretty sure this was one factor in the problem, but refusing to abide by such barbarious actions, he returns alone towards the Keep.#

Temujin

First Post
Watching Ghin as he leaves the grove and heads up the road, he turns towards Jean. "Touchy, touchy."

Mugen ducks down into the burrow and returns a few seconds later. Brushing off the dirt he gained in the scuffle and from the walls of the burrow, he stretches a bit, waits for Jean, then heads off towards the school.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
In the Cave:

Gray Sparrow:
As the light nears the corridor, you glance down it, but see nothing in the darkness that would threaten you. Gray Sparrow can see a bit further and spies that the corridor continues for about 50 more feet before it opens into what the kobold here is referring to the Death Room. Looking about 35 foot down, on the left side of the corridor, you do notice that it appears to have rubble strewn about on the ground, and what appears to be another hallway to the left. With your keen eyes, you also spot a small pool of dried blood about 15 feet in front of you down the corridor.

Kevin, Nyela, Nedander and Darius: The leader Kobold is tied up, and the smaller one is extrememly terrified of its fate. It waits for you to decide what to do with it.

Darius:
As you question the kobold, you suddenly hear something in your head. "He ssspeaks the truth, but watch your ssstep." Glancing around quickly, you note that the others must not have heard this voice, as they do not react at all. Something is speaking to you, but you do not see anything anywhere.

wysiwyg

First Post
After investigating the cave for himself, and placing the orc carcass in a sack, Jean will head towards the farm to inform the farmer of his findings - he will omit finding the orc. If the farmer has nothing else to say that is of importance, he wil return to Maximo.

"Master Maximo, I believe the immediate problem has been solved - a wolverine, quite a dangerous one I might add, has decided to dwell within close proximity to the farm. I decided to kill it instead of leaving it to kill more sheep or any of the residents near by. I saw something quite unsettling in the cave however. Among the carcasses it brought back to her young, a corpse of an infant orc was found. Clearly, the animal was a threat to humaniods, but the orc baby implies that the mother and the orcish clan are probably nearby. I didn't wish to disturb the farmer about the prospect of roaming orcs in his vacinity. I would volunteer, with your permission of course, to seek the trail of the orcs and find out where they are heading. What plans of action should be taken once the clan is found I leave up to you."

"One more thing. I believe Ghin to be of good heart and good meanings, but his emotions seem to unbalance him. The life of a predator seemed of higher importance than the lives of the farmer and his live stock, not to mention carrying out your instructions. There was no need to endanger himself or his partners to bring an animal back to you. I think it is in his and our best interest if you would have a word with him."

D'Amico Vega

First Post
While running alongside Sparrow, Darius says in Common "As long as it's okay with you, Sparrow, I believe we should spare him, but if he tries to run away after we investigate that side, he will be mercilessly slaughtered." Darius then puts the cloak over his face, once again concealing his face in the shadows of the hood, and waits for Sparrow to answer.

Last edited:

Remove ads