Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Just got back from the VA Hospital Emergency room- Thought I had passed blood. Sure burned a lot. The first test done is for color: Machine insisted there was indeed blood. Microscope said no blood. No Kidney stones. Turns out the jelly sandwiches from last nights snack and this morning's breakfast of toast with jelly. Both times was sugar free strawberry preserves.

False Alarm!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You know, you have to eat a lot of that stuff to actually pee it... ;)

I've had the same happen to me with certain food colorings. Red is scary...but green is freaky.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
We started cleaning out the office at the family restaurant. My mom found letters my dad wrote to god during the last several years before his mind fell of the cliff so to speak..

What sucks is that my mom told me that I need to start applying for unemployment because on the around the 20th she will notify everyone that we are closing.

Scott DeWar

My gf occasionally makes velvet cake with black icing... the color it turns your poop is fun.

that is plain gross!

We started cleaning out the office at the family restaurant. My mom found letters my dad wrote to god during the last several years before his mind fell of the cliff so to speak..

What sucks is that my mom told me that I need to start applying for unemployment because on the around the 20th she will notify everyone that we are closing.

double bummer

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh...the Internet ate my response- I had expressed my sympathies, but they're gone.

Well...DAMN, that sucks! Closing a family business is heart wrenching, even if it shutters for all the right reasons...which I know it didn't in your case.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Huh...the Internet ate my response- I had expressed my sympathies, but they're gone.

Well...DAMN, that sucks! Closing a family business is heart wrenching, even if it shutters for all the right reasons...which I know it didn't in your case.

We been running in the red for who knows how long. Making things worse is that the half brothers and sisters are a-hats who do not view the restaurants as being apart of a chain unless it benefits them. Instead they back stab each other and us may have actively encouraged their workers to tell people not to go to our restaurant or the one ran by the other family members. At the end, one of the restaurants will survive, ours and the other will die (my dad has no will... so that one will have to be sold off for inheritance when my dad dies if their eviction doesn't go through).

It was a mess. My dad wanted us to continue things... but for a grudge against my mom he decided not to teach me or my brother how to run the place. Then he didn't let us help improve the things that needed to be improved to keep it open. Sadly, it took his being incompacitated for us to make the changes... but it was too late to be saved. I wonder if his last coherant thoughts will be that we saved the business, and not his restaurant closing. I hope so for his sake. :C

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There's a local chain where I live in a similar state- a family restaurant business broken into three locations, each run by one brother. They hate each other.

Luckily, though, they all love their business. Each of the restaurants has good food, good staff and is competently run. The only badmouthing you'll hear is personal, NEVER about the business. They'll even happily point you at one of the other locations if that's nearer to you.

And another restaurant I know of that closed a decade ago had a problem with succession. The place was a hot little hole-in-the-wall that celebs in the area frequented. But when momma decided to shut things down, that was it. Her eldest was the main cook, but he had no clue as to how to actually run the place. It was a real loss for the city.

Scott DeWar

We have several Greek restaurants that the founders went into business together. The next generation came along and there were some splits happened, but the love of family kicked in and all is healed between them. water under the bridge.

Remove ads