Harvest moon tonight...

nerfherder

Explorer
WmRAllen67 said:
Very nice-- with your permission, that's now my desktop background...
Of course - I'm flattered!

I've re-cropped and resized the original picture for common resolutions (the original is 6x4 ratio, whereas most screens are 4x3):
1024x768
1280x960
1280x1024

BTW, this just passed full moon marked the Chinese "Moon Festival", which is a harvest festival/ day of remembrance holiday. People feel nostalgic for departed friends, eat "moon cakes" (sort of a Chinese version of fruitcake), and apparently drink a lot...

Along with New Year's it's one of the major holidays in the Chinese calendar, but not really celebrated outside of China for some reason.

(This has been your Cultural Fact for today, brought to you by "the class in Chinese history that I TA for..." We now return you to your regularly scheduled messageboard...)
Ah, a friend of mine whose family are from Hong Kong gave me a moon cake a few years ago and told me about this festival, but I'd forgotten.

Cheers,
Liam

Last edited:

WmRAllen67

First Post
nerfherder said:
Ah, a friend of mine whose family are from Hong Kong gave me a moon cake a few years ago and told me about this festival, but I'd forgotten.

What did you think of the moon cake? The general consensus among the students in my discussion groups was "Meh..."

I thought it tasted a bit "doughy", as if the cookies didn't get baked through all the way. YMMV, though-- I guess it falls under the category of "Acquired taste."

Like that Japanese squid-flavored candy...

The moon's just past full now, but we've had some wonderfully clear, bright nights here in Western Massachusetts this week...

nerfherder

Explorer
WmRAllen67 said:
What did you think of the moon cake? The general consensus among the students in my discussion groups was "Meh..."

I thought it tasted a bit "doughy", as if the cookies didn't get baked through all the way. YMMV, though-- I guess it falls under the category of "Acquired taste."

Like that Japanese squid-flavored candy...

The moon's just past full now, but we've had some wonderfully clear, bright nights here in Western Massachusetts this week...
The taste was so memorable that... I can't remember what it tasted like!

We've had a few cloud covered nights, but it looked clear tonight, so I took some more pics. Unfortunately there is a thin layer of cloud and it's hiding detail when I zoom in.

Cheers,
Liam

Remove ads