Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Your dislike doesn't mean that you should dismiss the global CCG industry which seems to be chugging along quite nicely.
You are not reading my posts, I have not dismissed card games, I am simply not in favor of treating cardboard as rare collectibles. Artificial scarcity does not equate to a healthy system for anyone when these games are supposed to be affordable by everyone.

I may be reading too much in your post but to me, it seems that you have a dislike towards games that are actually affordable to the public.

You are not reading my posts, I have not dismissed card games, I am simply not in favor of treating cardboard as rare collectibles. Artificial scarcity does not equate to a healthy system for anyone when these games are supposed to be affordable by everyone.

I may be reading too much in your post but to me, it seems that you have a dislike towards games that are actually affordable to the public.
This is the comment that made me think you were dismissing the rest of the CCGs while focusing only on MTG

The ccg industry needs to look to other business models to be sustainable

I'm actually in favor of the RL being gone and I think the recent moves with the m30 are honestly stupid. I'm also a big proponent of the secondary market. Does a secondary market even exist for a living card game?

Art Waring

halozix.com
Last edited:

Art Waring

halozix.com
This is the comment that made me think you were dismissing the rest of the CCGs while focusing only on MTG
Ok I get it, but you did kind of take it out of context because there is a bit to unpack in the whole statement I guess. Its cool man.

I'm actually in favor of the RL being gone and I think the recent moves with the m30 are honestly stupid. I'm also a big proponent of the secondary market. Does a secondary market even exist for a living card game?
Me too I agree, I just want to play the classic cards with my friends and remember the good times we had back in the 90's, it shouldn't cost a fortune to do that.

Does a secondary market exist for the LCG's? Yes i believe they do, except they go by the price of the whole set not just individual cards because lcg's are often deckbuilding games. So each set would be sold on a secodary market as a whole.

Ok I get it, but you did kind of take it out of context because there is a bit to unpack in the whole statement I guess. Its cool man.

Me too I agree, I just want to play the classic cards with my friends and remember the good times we had back in the 90's, it shouldn't cost a fortune to do that.

Does a secondary market exist for the LCG's? Yes i believe they do, except they go by the price of the whole set not just individual cards because lcg's are often deckbuilding games. So each set would be sold on a secodary market as a whole.
yeah, I did zero in on that statement, while basically ignoring the rest and the actual intent. I see that now.

Except its not.

l5r ccg discontinued

best ccgs

current most popular ccgs

dicebreaker top 10 ccgs 2021

Of all the numerous ccg's released, only the big top three (pokemon, mtg, yugioh) are still active, while the rest are being discontinued or dropped by publishers.

I think Flesh and Blood is doing well, but its pretty new and too early to tell about that one.
Your view is honestly more global since mine is limited to the big three.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Your view is honestly more global since mine is limited to the big three.
I just like to keep informed, because sometimes parallels can be seen in the ttrpg industry, for example: licensed IP's tend to do well to ok for the initial run in both ccgs & ttrpgs, but eventually taper off or end with the end of the license (and they are often not renewed).

You can look at star wars as a good example of having a successful run of both several ttrpgs & several ccgs, except each ccg sw game was discontinued because the licensing often became too costly to retain while the games failed to earn enough to keep the license and keep printing the game, same with many of the rpg's published for sw.

Of course, some of it means nothing at all in relation to the entire industry, but its just something that interests me, and I have a habit of doing deep dives into unimportant subjects, part of my conditioning from my college days I guess.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went to play D&D today and the flags was running an event for Flesh and Blood.

They managed to get 21 players, owner said Standard is dead and EDH and Modern were the formats offered. Had a quick chat and he asked if we were aware of the various issues.

I'm aware of some of them rest of group doesn't care.

Scribe

Legend
They managed to get 21 players, owner said Standard is dead and EDH and Modern were the formats offered.
Yeah this is the thing. I know people have said Modern was unavailable to them, and yes some decks were expensive but Modern was, for a long long time, the best format. I'm not surprised it's still one of the most played.

Went to play D&D today and the flags was running an event for Flesh and Blood.

They managed to get 21 players, owner said Standard is dead and EDH and Modern were the formats offered. Had a quick chat and he asked if we were aware of the various issues.

I'm aware of some of them rest of group doesn't care.
meanwhile, The @facetofacegames Tour Championship has kicked off with 344 players battling it out for the coveted Pro Tour and World Championship invitations.

Zardnaar

Legend
meanwhile, The @facetofacegames Tour Championship has kicked off with 344 players battling it out for the coveted Pro Tour and World Championship invitations.

You'll still get numbers for the big events.

WotC themselves asked what the problem with standard was. It's not dead dead but it's struggling and dead in some locations.

From when I played it's fragmented into three groups. Gen X used to organize things for mstookals, pre releasess etc provide tanles etc.

Until recently one gamestore was still using tables we supplied back in 2008 or so they just got passed down through the magic generations. Think we did a chip in $10 or cards to sell event and bought said tables.

Gen X organization zers retired and the millennial successors graduated and left town.

Still see some of the kids we used to run for 15-20 years ago they're in mid 30's now one owns a bar and offered a free beer.

Remove ads