He Says Nobody Can Beat His Tower

TalonComics

First Post
Blockader7 said:
His his deal:

He claims nobody can beat his tower.

I don't have any info on the interior but here is the exterior:

First of all there's no way of entering the tower except through the top.

Now what so special about the top?

He has it guarded by 20 Imps each armed with a Wand OF Magic Missiles and four non-modified Iron Golems.

Secondly it's made out of pure adamtite.

It's five stories tall.

The bottom is secured against entry through a nest of 10 Bullywugs, with one gargantuan sized.

So how would you get past this?

How would I get past it? I'd say to him, "Wow, that's nice. So, who wants to run a *real* game?"

Anyone can build an unbeatable character, fortress, monster, etc. but not everyone can run a decent game that has players wanting more.

~D

cptg1481

First Post
Yea confirmation that I'm not Dumb

Krail Stromquism said:
are these boards doing kooky things?

They are for me.

anyway,

there are a billion and one ways to beat this tower, since there is no PC level limit to go by,

lets try this:

Bake a pie, maybe get a nice potted plant a Phicus perhaps and go over to the tower not too early, and simply knock on the door. Being neighborly is tops in gaining entry. Maybe call first to make sure theres someone home. Maybe you already share an interest. Explore that possiblity.

From Dr. Phil

I'd then take ownership of your jealsousy of the owner of the tower, your not a victim here. Theres no bar you have to jump over. Set goals for yourself, dont let others set them for you. Now you think about that and maybe build your own tower and show em what your made of. Those Iron golems will be beggin just to stand in its shadow.

I hope that helps and let us know how it turns out.

Dude wacky wacky wacky, don't know how but posted like 10 threads (all the same one) and seemed to not be able to see them. However, as a plus I did get a cool lesson on the refresh function from the ever so helpful mods. ThenI did and couldn't correct it. I still keep seeing the page with the posts from like 3:45 or so whenever I log on. This even after the introdution to my refresh button. Of course it had to be my fault - you know EnWorld is so reliable. YMMV. :eek:

Anayway glad I'm not the only one.

Wikidogre

First Post
A catapult and several barrels of smoke powder.

launch lit barrels at the tower until all defending it are gone then fly up and go inside.

d4

First Post
Keith said:
I know that especially with the newer editions of the game, some will argue otherwise, but my view of this is that the rule you cite is for Player Characters. Other creatures in a DM’s world can do what the DM says, no more and no less.
if the DM isn't playing by the same set of rules, then the DM and players aren't really playing the same game, are they? i agree with Numion; if the DM is constantly breaking the rules, then any hope of the players being able to understand and plan for things in the campaign is lost.

Keith said:
Metagame it any way you like- an improved Imp with that spell, an Imp with Rogue levels and use magic device; it doesn’t matter. It is a fantastic, magical world, and creatures in it do things outside the limits of Player Characters, for good or bad.
yes, those are good ways of allowing the imps to use the wands. however, those are things that are within the limits of what the player characters can do themselves and reasonably expect from the game. if the DM wants the imps to use magic missile wands, i'd rather he go one of these routes than just arbitrarily saying it works because "I said so."

yes, it's a fantastic, magical world, but since this is a game, it is still a world that is based on rules. adding something to the imps that allows them to accomplish this within the rules is much better than just allowing it to happen by whim or fiat.

think of it this way -- adding a rogue or sorcerer level, or adding magic missile to the imp's spell-like abilities is most likely going to increase the CR of the creature, because it makes it a more powerful opponent. if you don't do one of these things and let the imp just go ahead and use the wand against the rules, you're not being fair to the PCs, because they won't get as much experience from the encounter as they should have based on the actual difficulty and capability of the opponent.

i am a firm believer that the DM must operate under the same rules as the players in order to present a sensible, understandable world. of course, it's fine for the DM to make up new monsters, new feats, new spells, what-have-you, but these have to fit within the guidelines of the rules and follow the consequences thereof. as above, if you allow imps to use wands, you have to understand how that will increase the capabilities of the creature and change the CR and experience award accordingly.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Blockader7 said:
His his deal:

He claims nobody can beat his tower.

Wait for a storm. Wildshaped druid at the edge of long range repeatedly pounds it with a Sonic-Admixed Call Lightning until there's nothing left but an expensive pile of rubble.

Use repeated castings of Summon Monster or Summon Natures Ally to harrass the defenders until they burn out their wands.

Hire a team of dwarven sappers to dig out the foundation and collapse it.

Hire catapult crews and lay siege.

Construct a large, wooden rabbit... :D

His tower isn't unbeatable, it's not even that well defended...

DM2

First Post
To build on what's been said already, I bet a fairly low level rogue could get in. A lvl 3 wizard puts invisibility and spider climb on him, and the rogue could wait for an opportune moment to just sneak past the guardians.

The golems won't hear anything, and the imps only have a +7 listen check...with minor magic items or spells the rogue should easily out sneak them.

DM2

Remove ads