He Says Nobody Can Beat His Tower

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Step 1: Research a new "Bigby's Hand" variant and then use a lot of "grease" spells.

Step 2: Record it, and sell it to "Wizard Tower's Gone Wild"

Step 3: Profit!!!

Last edited:

Majere

First Post
Hey that is nothing, I read this in a module no less.

The only entrance to the tower was a 200' long corridor, 20x20 in dimensions. The floor is a permanent prismatic wall. The rest of the corridor is filled with an antimagik shell (permanent) which extends to just 1" above the floor. The walls are perfectly smooth and greased, as is the ceiling. Half way down the corridor is a break in the antimagik shell 1' in width, in it it an INVISIBLE adamantite gate with an exceptional lock (DC35)
I saw that, laughed, and skipepd the rest of the module.

As for this tower;
1) Its pretty lame
2) Why go in it anyway ?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Cedric, a Dwarven mining company would probably do the job for the adamantium. No need to tag on any motives... that's a valuable (and not nearly well enough defended) tower.

ssampier

First Post
what is in the tower anyway?

What exactly are these unusual mixture of rag-tag monsters guarding anyway?

(hopes that it's not a Flumph...)

Cedric

First Post
Cedric, a Dwarven mining company would probably do the job for the adamantium. No need to tag on any motives... that's a valuable (and not nearly well enough defended) tower.

You are 100% correct CS, I just wanted the Dwarves to be able to feel better about themselves at the end of the day. Nothing like a little patriotic raiding to pick up your spirits.

Cedric

WizWrm

First Post
Majere said:
Hey that is nothing, I read this in a module no less.

The only entrance to the tower was a 200' long corridor, 20x20 in dimensions. The floor is a permanent prismatic wall. The rest of the corridor is filled with an antimagik shell (permanent) which extends to just 1" above the floor. The walls are perfectly smooth and greased, as is the ceiling. Half way down the corridor is a break in the antimagik shell 1' in width, in it it an INVISIBLE adamantite gate with an exceptional lock (DC35)

Take three 10' ladders. Attach powerful magnets of equal strength to the top of each. Stick the ladders to the top of the corridor (perpendicular, so you have three ladders hanging down), and stand with one foot on the bottom rung of two of them. Slide the third ladder (the one you aren't standing on) along a few feet; this is possible without moving your two ladders backwards because you are dividing the force pushing back on the ladders you're standing on between two magnets, which total twice as much resistance (well, not quite twice as much if you work out the angles) as the one you're moving. Move one of your feet to the newly-moved ladder, then move one of the other ladders in the same manner. If you have access to electromagnets, this becomes much easier, and you only need two ladders. Rinse, repeat, for a hand-over-hand (or foot-over-foot) motion that gets you to the gate. The gate does not have antimagic on it, so you can dispel the invisibility. Take 20 on the open locks check; a mid-level rogue might be able to manage it, and there's a spell somewhere (Song and Silence?) that gives you +20 to a single skill check, if you don't happen to be a rogue. If, for some reason, either of these are not an option, start hacking away; adamantine is "only" hardness 20. Power Attack helps. Move down the corridor the same way as before until you get to the end. Problem solved.

Or you could disjoin the antimagic field and/or dispel the prismatic wall, since it isn't technically in the field which could prevent that, then fly through.

This, of course, assumes you have the floorplans beforehand.

But really, it does seem like a kill-the-PCs module that probably shouldn't have been written, unless it was part of a Challenge of Champions-style adventure or something. Man, those adventures rocked.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Majere said:

Not so bad. The other proposed solutions work, but here's what I'd expect:

Okay, you have your Rogue with maxed-out balance and a set of immovable rods, right? Of course you do. He just makes himself a walkway as he goes, checking for traps as he goes, runs into that gate, takes 20 on that, and continues onward to be eaten by the Half-Dragon Tarrasque the module's writer stuck in after that to vent his frustration over a failing marriage.

After the Rogue has gone through, the Wizard just casts reverse gravity, and gently comes to rest at his point of bouyancy (so his center of gravity is right at the lower edge of the antimagic field)... Unless the wizard is exceptionally fat, he should be okay. (Of course, the wizard does some other little tests first to make sure that this will work.) The door's been taken care of, so it just takes a hearty push to send the wizard sliding on across to the other side and into the left-most mouth of the Super-Empowered Deluxe Enlarged Axiomatic Demogorgon which has since eaten the tarrasque (and, vicariously, the Rogue)

The Cleric just happens to have a simple flying carpet, embroidered with his favorite holy symbol, which will also do just fine with a foot of space to operate in. He is then eaten by Mecha-Hitler.

The Fighter, on the other hand, has no worries: The Mecha-Hitler is too big to fit through the hallway, and if he stands on a box or something the antimagic field will give him full coverage from its spells. He just pulls out the longbow he got at first level and fires away (he has infinite arrows somehow and probably infinite rations, too) waiting for natural 20s. Mecha-Hitler is slain and the fighter gains 2000 Billion XP and 32 sp, which he will spend on ALE AND WHORES!

I love this game.

Sanackranib

First Post
orbitalfreak said:
Ring of Invisibility, antimagic spells and effects, teleportation.

Earthquake
Any structure standing on open ground takes 100 points of damage .... Hardness does not reduce this damage, nor is it halved as damage dealt to objects normally is. ...

earthquake was my answer as well. drop the tower and kill most of the critters then excavate it at you lesure.

Remove ads