Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: "House Cannith, Master in the Art of Artifice". I like that play of words. It was probably unintentional though (Artifice as a noun means Deception, as a verb it is just the verb form of Artificer as usual).)

"We were three to go after these kids and one is already alone. I don't know where he is, but he is a big guy and can take care of himself. Anvuss too, but I don't like the idea to have everyone split up. How much time you think it will take for you to come back?"

"To the secret base? Who can say? We may all be killed or captured. And it seems likely we'll have bogies on our tail and be unable to return for fear of exposing the location."

Velmont

First Post
"Anvuss, one of the children is in Fantasia, where the captain want to drop me. If you come with me, we will be able to finally get something done about why we are here. What do you prefer, go free some pirates or find one of teh children?" asks Kharas.

Patlin

Explorer
"I suppose my earliest obligation is toward the children, should the Captain give me permission to embark on that mission. I was under the impression we were expected to repay the ship for our rescue, so it is not clear to me we have a choice."

"Additionally, Captain, I have been considering the likelihood of pursuit by airship. I have an idea, though I do not know if it is one that is commonly attempted, nor do I know if countermeasures have been put into place. It seems to me that it would be possible to build a device, which we might name a 'leech mine' which would momentarilly disrupt the flight capacity of a pursuing airship. While the design I anticipate would only effect the ship for about 15 seconds, give or take 9, a ship not designed with countermeasures for this sort of attack would drop a considearable distance in that time. As tactical superiority in aerial combat belongs to the higher ship, this might go a long way towards discouraging pursuit. What do you think? Have the tactical options of this gambit been previously explored?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I believe that it isn't that a child is in Fantasia--it's that the Baron spirited away his device for detecting things from Kharas's world to Fantasia)

"I like to think I'm harsh but fair. In this case, I'm not going to make you do anything. You have to decide what sits right with you and make a choice."

"Terrorist guy has no choice--he's not coming along. Having someone angry and dangerous who wishes you ill on a sensitive mission seems a poor idea."

Velmont

First Post
"Oh damned, leave that terrorist. Call me Kharas. That's nothing more than propaganda." replies Kharas.

He turns to Anvuss. "You are right, Anvuss, paying debt is honorable and all to your honor, but she gave you a choice. If you want to continue with them, it's fine. As for me, I always have a choice.

First, yeah, I'm angry, that's what happen when I don't get enough sleep, I got irritated. Sorry for being who I am, but if you had the few last days I had you would be too. And that include figthing a few unforged on his own and some stupid guard that call you terrorist when the only thing you have done is disable (and not even beyond repair) a construct that wish you death. Second, I don't wish you ill. As Anvuss told, you saved him... and me. I might have been able to get us both out of there... maybe not either, we will never know. Third, I know the value of friendship and I don't want to let Anvuss go to his death without doing something to help him, to make sure he can get out of there safely. Finally, think of that, you are going into a dangerous mission and you will leave a Spark behind?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"It seems unlikely to me that you would have been able to take over that entire ship. Lacking a ship of your own, you would have had nowhere to which to escape. More likely, you would have both been captured. I don't know exactly what they do to a Rogue Spark who is captured, but I have no doubt that it is unpleasant."

"Some would say that even with a Spark you think you can trust, it's dangerous to have too many Sparks around. If you weren't a Spark, I would actually be less afraid of the havoc you might wreak. As is, I don't trust you not to find some way to get all the rest of us killed and then steal the ship for your own and use it to find your precious children."

Velmont

First Post
"Strange I would have no chance to get Anvuss and I out of a ship but all to get you kill. It seems I have ressources only to put stick in you wheels. I can give you a simple good reason why I would not do that, that ship need a crew to be use. If I kill you all, I would not be able to manipulate it alone.

Anyway, it is for Anvuss I want to come. I want to make sure he get out of that. Anvuss want to help you, if I go against you, I go against Anvuss who wnat to pay his debt to you."

Remove ads