D&D 4E Help Me Build a 4E "Guild Mage"...

Pbartender

First Post
So, I'd like to rebuild a character I played in 3rd edition for 4th. We was a Wizard along the lines of a Mage of the Arcane Order or a Guild Mage of Waterdeep. Since there's simply so much stuff out there, I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for and could use a little help with the build.

The character's main schtick was that he was a generalist Wizard with an extensive spellbook, and what he didn't have prepared he could dip into the Guild's spellpool for, making him exceptionally versatile, magically speaking.

To emulate that, I'm looking for feats, powers, class features and magic items that A) increase the number of powers available in a Wizard's spellbook (like the feat Expanded Spellbook, or the Tome Adept's Paper Secrets feature), and B) allow a character to swap out powers on an occasional basis (like the Wizard Refocus Utility Power, or a Mnemonic Staff).

The initial thought is to make him a Human Wizard, likely starting at 10th or 11th level.

Any thoughts?

Pbartender

First Post
Here's what I've got so far...

Items:
  • Versatile Spellbook (Wondrous 11)
  • Mnemonic Staff (Staff 2,7,12,17,22,27)
  • Deck of Spells (Tome 14,19,24,29)
Feats:
  • Remembered Wizardry (Wis 13, deva, wizard)
  • Aerenal Arcanist (Elf, any arcane class, Aerenal background)
  • Expanded Spellbook (Wis 13, wizard)
  • Improved Tome of Readiness (11th level, Con 13, Wis 13, wizard, Tome of Readiness class feature)
Powers:
  • Refocus (Wizard Utility 6)
  • Tome of Transposition (Wizard Attack 9)
Class Features:
  • Tome of Readiness (Wizard)
  • Paper Secrets (Tome Adept Paragon Path: Wizard, tome implement mastery)

Have I missed anything?

The Human Target

Adventurer
That looks really good so far.

I'd stick with human myself, to better fit the generalist theme.

I'd also consider the Jack of All Trades feat to make you that much better at everything, including ritual casting.

Or Arcane Ritualist.

Or Expert Ritualist.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
If you're going to be paragon level and are cool with multiclassing with Bard somewhere in the mix, the Student of the Seven PP could fit well. It lets you "replace a daily attack power granted through a multiclass feat with a another daily attack power of the same level or lower from the same class" and an action point lets you "regain the use of an encounter utility power or an encounter attack power that you gained through a multiclass feat and that you have used during this encounter".

The Cannith Mastermaker can give you ways to regain spent encounter powers and extra uses of magic items but doesn't sound like as good of a match.

Yeah, buffing ritual casting is going to be a good thing to do. Really if you're a wizard there's not a whole lot to that, just buy a lot of rituals, there are tons of interesting ones out there and really no limit to what you can have.

Remove ads