help me build a future Mystic Theurge

d12

First Post
Ok, here's what I'm working with. I'm building towards Mystic Theurge.

Scores of 10, 13, 15, 15, 16, 17. We're beginning at second level - I'd like to start off as a Cleric 2 or Cleric 1/Wizard 1. I'm looking at Human or half-elf for race.

So help me with ideas. Please. The character concept I'm looking for is a woodsy witch-type. Please suggest ideas for starting spells and equipment and things I should be aiming for.

Angcuru

First Post
This is as good a topic as any to use for my sudden and unexpected return. So.....

HI EVERYBODY!

and d12, I recommend going Int, Wis, Cha, Dex, Con, Str in that order. Go for human, use 1 level in each class. Good starting spells are Magic Missile, Burning Hands for wizard spells; Bless and Obscuring Mist for the Cleric Spells.

For equip go for a crossbow, 1/4staff, and carry a wand of cure light wounds, +misc.

there ya go. enjoy

Norfleet

First Post
Well, if you're choosing between human vs. half-elf....this one's a no-contest: Human is better in practically every way: Extra feat, extra skillpoints. Half-elf gets, well, none of that, and no favorable stat adjusts that would favor you, while being otherwise the same as humans. So, go with the human, no contest here.

Looking over your stats, I'd have to say they're not good enough to hack it in the MT department. Casters in particular have a hardwired dependency on stats, and MT stretches this by demanding two of them. With a single-mode caster, you could squeak by with that 17, but with an MT, I'm not seeing the pair of 18s that qualifies you for serious entry. Feel free to go for it, but you'll be rather disappointed by the results.

Classwise, I'd say you're better off picking one class to start with: Cleric. This'll give you the HP boost you need to pick you up out of the danger zone of low levels, and postpone your character's uselessness phase out to 4th level: An MT will be nearly totally useless, dead weight on the party once it starts splitting the caster levels, and won't catch up for some time, and you'll want to postpone this until the rest of your group will be strong enough to pick up the slack.

Plus, after another level, you may, in fact, realize I was right about the stats and cancel the MT concept and stick with being a cleric...which can't be wrong.

gfunk

First Post
d12 said:
Scores of 10, 13, 15, 15, 16, 17. We're beginning at second level - I'd like to start off as a Cleric 2 or Cleric 1/Wizard 1. I'm looking at Human or half-elf for race.

Nice stats! I would go:

Str 10
Dex 15
Con 15
Wis 16
Int 17
Cha 13

Human, hands down for the reasons already described.

For progression, I would go:
1 Cleric
2 Cleric
3 Cleric
4 Wizard
5 Wizard
6 Wizard
7-16 Mystic Theurge
17-20 Wizard or Cleric

You might want to stay armored for the first few levels for the extra protection. Focus on buff spells b/c a lot of your damaging spells won't scale very well.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Don't overlook a sorcerer/cleric combination. Sorcerers are a level behind when it comes to attaining new spell levels, but even so I think a sorcerer/cleric is the better combination (especially if you use Monte's sorcerer).

Moe Ronalds

First Post
d12 said:
Ok, here's what I'm working with. I'm building towards Mystic Theurge.

So help me with ideas. Please. The character concept I'm looking for is a woodsy witch-type. Please suggest ideas for starting spells and equipment and things I should be aiming for.

I'd say put intelligence higher than wisdom since clerics use mostly healing spells which wouldn't require a saving throw (and thus a high ability modifier). Speaking of abilities, you'll need 5 ability boosts (without magic items) to have a 19 in each stat (and thus be able to cast 9th level spells for both classes). I'd focus on getting your intelligence up first, then wisdom, since you'll need to have the 19 BEFORE you actually reach a high enough level to cast 9th level spells, whereas for the cleric once you hit 19 you'll be able to cast all 9th level cleric spells anyway.

Thanee

First Post
Altho a Sorcerer is pretty cool, I'd go for the Wizard, as the additional level hurts your spell development a lot (you are already weak in the high level spell area most of the time, due to being 3 caster levels behind a pure Cleric or Wizard)!

Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 1

STR 10
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 17
WIS 16
CHA 15

Raising Cleric to 3 before raising Wizard to 3 makes sense, as the healing spells are likely to be of more use in the lower levels.

Note that you will suffer XP penalties for multiclassing, once you enter Mystic Theurge at Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 1 (human can only ignore one of the highest classes before applying multiclass penalties and PrC do count for this purpose in 3.5 - at least I havn't found anything against it), but only for one single level until you raise Mystic Theurge to 2, so it's not really bad.

Good starting spells for Wizard are Shield, Mage Armor, Identify, Color Spray, Ray of Enfeeblement, Enlarge Person (a nice low level combat boost for your barbarian or fighter buddies). Later you should also get Magic Missile and Featherfall. Basically avoid spells you can cast from the Cleric spell list and add unique Wizard spells to your repertoire mostly.

Equipment? Well... holy symbol... spellbook... spell component pouch... :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Now the really tough part is feats.

Metamagic feats (i.e. Extend Spell, Persistent Spell or Quicken Spell, Empower Spell) and Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment maybe?) come to mind, as well as Spell Penetration/Greater Spell Penetration (later, but you will have to choose both eventually to even out your lower caster level). Improved Initiative is always good, if it fits your concept. Item Creation (i.e. Craft Wondrous Item; you already have Scribe Scroll, so Brew Potion, altho it would be cool for a witchery type, is probably no good idea to "waste" a feat on that one).

Bye
Thanee

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Thanee said:
Note that you will suffer XP penalties for multiclassing, once you enter Mystic Theurge at Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 1 (human can only ignore one of the highest classes before applying multiclass penalties and PrC do count for this purpose in 3.5 - at least I havn't found anything against it), but only for one single level until you raise Mystic Theurge to 2, so it's not really bad.
Actually, I'm fairly sure that Prestige Classes don't incur a multiclassing penalty.

Zappo

Explorer
I haven't actually played the mystic theurge, but from my experience I believe that you will be better off if you choose to strongly favor one of the spellcasting styles (wizard or cleric) over the other. If you have a character concept in mind, choose accordingly; if you aim for maximum power, I think that you should favor arcane casting (since you can't fight like a cleric anyway).

So, I'd suggest having INT as high as you can, while keeping WIS just good enough to cast the spells of each level. This means that you will have a bad DC for clerical spells, so you should focus on buffing spells, healing, and protection with the clerical magic, and use your arcane capabilities for offense.

Remove ads