• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me make a Monk -> Thief-Acrobat

Thanee

First Post
reveal said:
What's "Touch of Golden Ice?"
Klaus said:
What's Touch of Golden Ice, Thanee?

It basically makes your touch 'poisonous' to evil creatures, dealing Dex damage (with a mild save DC) in addition to anything else. It's an [EXALTED] feat from BoED.

Bye
Thanee

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
reveal said:
PHB Only

Feats: Weapon Finesse (unarmed strike)

Weapon Finesse requires BAB +1, and in 3.5 doesn't require you to specify the weapon :)

EDIT: I've got a huge hate-on for Touch of Golden Ice. IMO, it's a freakish combination of overpowered sometimes, underpowered others, just plain weird, with a large side of "huge hassle for the DM."

The OP isn't familiar with it, right? It basically makes all your unarmed attacks spread a "special" poison that's non-evil because it's only harmful to evil beings.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Klaus said:
PHB, DMG, All Completes, Eberron.

Then no Touch of Golden Ice for you. ;)

Sorry, don't know much about Eberron, so can't really give you any Eberron-specific suggestions.

Bye
Thanee

Monk in Eberron, huh?

Have you considered working towards the Serpent Strike feat? It allows you to treat the longspear as a monk weapon.

There's also the ... Whirling Steel? ... feat, which lets you do the same with a Double Sword.

You might be able to parlay the first into a balance check bonus, per the rules on carrying a balancing pole. :)

reveal

Adventurer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Monk in Eberron, huh?

Have you considered working towards the Serpent Strike feat? It allows you to treat the longspear as a monk weapon.

There's also the ... Whirling Steel? ... feat, which lets you do the same with a Double Sword.

You might be able to parlay the first into a balance check bonus, per the rules on carrying a balancing pole. :)

If he wants to be a Thief-Acrobat, I'd think he'd want be a little more subtle. Neither a longspear nor a double sword are really "subtle" weapons. :)

reveal said:
If he wants to be a Thief-Acrobat,

A thief-acrobat isn't necessarily about being sneaky, though. It's skill prereqs don't include Hide or Move Silently. They're 8 ranks in Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble, and Evasion.

A TA gains huge bonuses to their combat mobility skills - Climb, Jump, Balance, and Tumble - especially when taking the "Accelerated X" options. They gain virtual immunity to being knocked prone (i.e., stand as a non-provoking free action, don't take an AC or Attack penalty when prone).

Here's a list of the benefits they get:

• Fast Acrobatics(Ex): A thief-acrobat ignores the normal -5 penalty when making a Balance check while moving her full normal speed. She can climb half her speed as a move action without taking a -5 penalty on her Climb check. Finally, she can tumble at her full speed without taking the normal -10 penalty on her Tumble check.
  • Kip Up(Ex): A thief-acrobat can stand up from a prone position as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. This ability works only if the thief-acrobat wears light or no armor and carries no more than a light load.
  • Steady Stance(Ex): A thief-acrobat remains stable on her feet when others have difficulty standing. She is not considered flat-footed while balancing or climbing, and she adds her class level as a bonus on Balance or Climb checks to remain balancing or climbing when she takes damage.
  • Agile Fighting(Ex): A thief-acrobat gains a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. When fighting defensively or using total defense, this bonus becomes +2. In addition, a thief-acrobat takes no penalty to her Armor Class or on her melee attack rolls when kneeling, sitting, or prone. This ability works only if a thief-acrobat wears light or no armor and carries no more than a light load.
  • Agile Fighting(Ex): A thief-acrobat gains a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class. When fighting defensively or using total defense, this bonus becomes +3. In addition, a thief-acrobat takes no penalty to her Armor Class or on her melee attack rolls when kneeling, sitting, or prone. This ability works only if a thief-acrobat wears light or no armor and carries no more than a light load.
  • Slow Fall(Ex): A thief-acrobat redices the effective distance of falls by 20 feet. If a thief-acrobat has this ability from another class, the distances stack to determine the effective reduction of the falling distance.
  • Slow Fall(Ex): A thief-acrobat redices the effective distance of falls by 30 feet. If a thief-acrobat has this ability from another class, the distances stack to determine the effective reduction of the falling distance.
  • Acrobatic Charge(Ex): A thief-acrobat can charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or through allies blocking her path. Depending on the circumstances, she may still need to make appropriate checks (such as Jump, Tumble, or Use Rope checks) to successfully move over the terrain.
  • Improved Defensive Roll(Ex): A thief-acrobat may use her defensive roll ability twice per day.
  • Skill Mastery(Ex): A thief-acrobat has become so confident in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. When making a Balance, Climb, Jump, or Tumble check, she can take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

reveal

Adventurer
A thief-acrobat isn't necessarily about being sneaky, though. It's skill prereqs don't include Hide or Move Silently. They're 8 ranks in Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble, and Evasion.

A TA gains huge bonuses to their combat mobility skills - Climb, Jump, Balance, and Tumble - especially when taking the "Accelerated X" options. They gain virtual immunity to being knocked prone (i.e., stand as a non-provoking free action, don't take an AC or Attack penalty when prone).

I know they're not all about being sneaky. But, to me, the longspear and double-sword just don't seem to fit the TA concept.

Agile and dextrous, a TA can move in combat like a snake, making her enemy swing at air that, a split-second before, had contained a human form. I think unarmed strikes are the compliment for that type of character, with smaller weapons next in the list. But IMHO. :)

reveal said:
Agile and dextrous, a TA can move in combat like a snake, making her enemy swing at air that, a split-second before, had contained a human form.

... and she got out of the way by planting that spear on the ground, pole vaulting onto the table, and then rolling off the other side. She pauses, removes a fork from her shoe and tosses it aside dismissively, and starts kicking butt once again.

When I read the TA description, I immediately though "Jackie Chan." :D

reveal

Adventurer
... and she got out of the way by planting that spear on the ground, pole vaulting onto the table, and then rolling off the other side. She pauses, removes a fork from her shoe and tosses it aside dismissively, and starts kicking butt once again.

When I read the TA description, I immediately though "Jackie Chan." :D

Now that would be cool. Why not the quarterstaff then? Kind of like Jackie in Drunken Master or Shangai Noon where he could take something that looks non-threatening and make it threatening. In this case, make the quarterstaff look like a big ole walking stick.

Aren't there "stunt" rules out there? I can't remember but I think they're in AU.

Remove ads