Here's the Abyssal Sibriex From Mordenkainen's Tome

This....thing...is....AWESOME!

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't think its intended that you apply the 'Modifying a Monster' rules in these circumstances; average Hit Points are pretty clearly labeled as 'average hit points'. Which to me implys that members of the same stat block can differ. After all, why even bother listing the dice expression if that is not the case?
Maybe I'm too literal here, but to me average hit points imply hit points that is average

That is, they bother to list dice expressions to allow varied hp that still average to the listed number.

In other words, to imply average hp. Not max hp.

There's a difference between featuring one monster with max hp (offset by other monsters with lower-than-average hp) and featuring only monsters with max hp.

In the first case no CR adjustment is implied or necessary.

Not so in the second case. Why? Because your hp are no longer average!

CapnZapp

Legend
Tweaking hp within the HD range is likely to have a much less significant effect on an encounter that tactical circumstances - surprise, terrain factors, and so on.

But I think people set to much store by "CR". It's not a magic number that will magically guarantee a fun encounter. It's a very very rough estimate. Look at the monster, look at the party, and decide for yourself if a creature is suitable at is, needs some modding (after all, even monsters are individuals, unless they at modrones) or if a different creature would be better.
Everything you say is true.

It is also completely beside the issue, namely "CRs are generally pathetically overblown, and to populate a truly challenging world, they should all be lowered by 0% (at lowest levels) up to 50% (at the highest)."

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Using high level enemies as solos also comes with problems, namely their offense is too high if the defenses are good enough to stand up to 2 rounds of focus fire. Basically everything in the 5E MM is a paper tiger.
In summary 5th edition simply does not support Solo monsters.

Maybe if you have a group of unoptimized unorganized completely green newbs, but certainly not for groups that have any idea of how to play the game.

CapnZapp

Legend
I dunno why everyone is complaining about hit points every time they reveal a new monster. I remember when in 2E, 150 hit points was something reserved for stuff like Tiamat herself. I don't know whether 5E continued the 3E trend where you can increase your starting scores as you gain levels (so a higher level fighter would have a strenght rivaling a giant, something I always found unrealistic), but if not, then I'd say 150 HP is totally OK for a CR18 creature.
Okay. We have noted that you have no idea why everyone is complaining. Thank you.

CapnZapp

Legend

Maybe if you have a group of unoptimized unorganized completely green newbs, but certainly not for groups that have any idea of how to play the game.
To further my own point: to truly support Solo fights, much more would be needed than simply adding a bunch of hit points.

Ideally I would want a system to make save or sucks gradual and not binary. That a Solo needs to be Forcecaged (or Banished etc) three times before being subject to the spell's full effects, with notes on the partial effects of being struck one and twice (individual to each relevant spell).

For example: Forcecage describing a Solo struggling to keep open rents in the cage, so that it gets, I dunno, half speed (at one strike), restrained (at two strikes) and fully imprisoned (at three strikes, just as normal).

Couple this with going through each Solo monster to ensure it doesn't lose the action economy badly, and to ensure every Solo monster has at least some tools in its toolbox to counter the simplest and most common PC strategies to control the battlefield and deny the monster it's best attacks.

All together, this would need a full-size hardcover book with rules, spells, and replacement monster stat blocks.

Let's call it "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"

It would be a wonderful resource to breathe new life into the "options on" and "high level" modes of play!

PS. Most crucially, it would remain 100% compatible with 5th edition. Not 95%. Not 99%. Absolutely a hundred percent.

I don't think any stat block will help an unoptimized unorganized completely green DM with a group that have an idea of how to play the game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm just gonna say, it get really tiring every time I hear someone say that 5e doesn't work, or " doesn't support solo monsters" when that person ignores half of what is in the monster entry, and completely ignores the part in the DMG about how a DM is supposed to run those monsters. If you (general you) only play the monsters as a partial stat block vs a partial stat block and ignore everything thing else, then the fault is in you, not the game. Therefore, it's up to you to make adjustments to the monsters to better fit that style you prefer. Quite frankly, blaming the game for your own deviation from how it's designed is lazy. Double irony if you keep accusing the designers of being lazy while refusing to do the job of the DM. I also think it speaks a lot to your character (or lack thereof) when you make comments disparaging the competency of players who don't have the issues you do. Most likely, they aren't incompetent, but are actually following the guidelines on how to actually play the game as outlined in the DMG.

I see these comments over and over, and it's toxic to our community.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

For my table this has always been true. In the sense that a solo monster will likely never have a chance to TPK the party. I use solo monsters to hint more at bigger plot arcs than to be staple combat encounters.

My players are pretty un-optimized and not very inclined to work together. I still don't run many solo monsters unless it's for the reason I already stated.

Remove ads

Remove ads