Here's the Abyssal Sibriex From Mordenkainen's Tome

This....thing...is....AWESOME!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They seem to have focused quite a bit of energy on producing high level threats that are tactical nightmares more than brute force bags of HP: well done.

Erechel

Explorer
I realized after checking feeblemind that the wizard is a poor target... but the cleric is perfect. No proficiency, probably dumped Int, full caster, and the cleric is the only one who can remove the sibriex's debuffs. The wizard can eat command, and if that fails, just chew on the sibriex's Magic Resistance and LR for a bit.

Actually, the Paladin is better at healing poison and disease than the cleric. Clerics only do that by spells like lesser restoration; paladins can cure them by expending 5 HP of their Lay on Hands. They don't need to expend them anywhere else, as probably this monster will kill everyone via Warp.

Dausuul

Legend
They seem to have focused quite a bit of energy on producing high level threats that are tactical nightmares more than brute force bags of HP: well done.

Agreed. It's especially neat because it lets the monster's effectiveness scale with the group's skill level. If the group is mostly non-optimized, then the DM is probably not exploiting the monster's abilities to the hilt either, and the sibriex will be run as a nasty beater. If the PCs are cranked to the max, then the DM is likely playing a highly tactical game and using the sibriex accordingly.

CapnZapp

Legend
Hi, I'm Sibriex, I'm super intelligent, run me so.
Sigh.

Yet another "designers don't need to make monsters beefy, all they need to do is up their INT which makes it totally okay to offload the entire task of making the monster work onto the DM"

No. Just no. A high INT is no magic wand that excuses anemic monster design elsewhere.

The stats is what makes its CR. If high-level heroes rip through the monster in a single round that CR should be relatively low. End of story.

Yet another "designers don't need to make monsters beefy, all they need to do is up their INT which makes it totally okay to offload the entire task of making the monster work onto the DM"

No. Just no. A high INT is no magic wand that excuses anemic monster design elsewhere.
That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case here. This monster is both thematic and extremely effective. Low HP seems to be an intentional feature for this monster, to provide a tactical weakness and encourage the intended play style: that of the hideous mastermind.

dave2008

Legend
Sigh.

The stats is what makes its CR. If high-level heroes rip through the monster in a single round that CR should be relatively low. End of story.

I realize the HP in this new batch of monsters is low for your tastes (and mine), but you do appreciate the extra tactical umph they are giving them don't you? It seems they are giving you half of what your asking for, but you don't seem to appreciate that.

Personally I think this is the best of both worlds. These monsters work for average groups who are not tactically save or good / don't chose to optimize and they have the tactical chops built in to threaten more advanced groups, you just need to add HP. How much HP will vary widely by group, so it is a good idea to leave that the DM. I would still prefer more HP though (I'll bump it up when i add it to my Hardcore Monster Manual).

darjr

I crit!
Sigh.

Boring! It’s stats DO make its CR. It’s tier 4, get malevolent.

There are other monsters for D&D tetherball. This guy is a quarterback who NEEDS to stay in the pocket. And buy his linemen steak dinners.

Remove ads

Remove ads