Heroes for Hire: Marvel's new hentai title!

horacethegrey

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Other than it bears a Marvel Comic label ... nope.
Exactly! If it were the cover of a h-doujin starring Marvel characters I'd understand. But this is the cover of a mainstream comic solicited by Marvel Comics itself. Why the hell are they shooting themselves in the foot by running a cover that's sure to generate a lot of controversy?! And it doesn't just affect them, mind you. This will generate some negative press for the whole comic industry itself (in fact, it already is. If you frequent the various comics news blogs decrying that cover). So say goodbye to the notion that comics are an accepted literary medium in the public's eye.

*sighs* It's times like this that make me ashamed to be a comic fan. :( Stupid Quesada and his lack of editorial responsibility.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Honestly?

I am far more offended with Mary Jane in a thong doing laundry.

Yes. Seriously.

One says something about gender roles and society; the other says something about kinky fantasies.

Meh.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
In all honesty, this doesn't seem to be generating any controversy at all, at least not of any significant variety. Women in sexy outfits in comics are nothing new, and the idea that a tentacle or two there somehow implies a tentacle rape scene is a pretty large leap on the part of the reader.

Simply put, who cares what the cover shows? There's nothing explicit there, and it's what's on the inside pages that matters more. Horace, by your own admission, you've seen hentai doujins that have less explicit covers, which by extension means the interior pages were worse. Well, this is the opposite case, with a fairly risque cover, and interior images that absolutely won't feature any sort of tentacle raping.

Simply put, there's nothing controversial here. If there were no tentacles there, this wouldn't be an issue, and because there's one or two which aren't doing anything, some hysterical people are assigning meaning to that and raising an outcry at the top of their lungs.

Honestly, I wish people would save the indignation for something that was worth all of the energy to get that riled up over.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Steel_Wind said:
Honestly?

I am far more offended with Mary Jane in a thong doing laundry.

Yes. Seriously.

One says something about gender roles and society; the other says something about kinky fantasies.

Meh.

You think women doing laundry is kinky? - :confused:

Ranger REG

Explorer
horacethegrey said:
*sighs* It's times like this that make me ashamed to be a comic fan. :( Stupid Quesada and his lack of editorial responsibility.
Are you kidding? Yes, it is odd, but not terribly shameful.

It's bad enough WotC taking the "Falwell/Disney" route by including the quality standard clause in their now rarely used d20STL.

horacethegrey

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Are you kidding? Yes, it is odd, but not terribly shameful.

It's bad enough WotC taking the "Falwell/Disney" route by including the quality standard clause in their now rarely used d20STL.
Dude, I'm no fan of censorship either. But I do have a problem when a respectable comic publisher like Marvel sees the need to shamelessly market one of their books like this. Like I said before, if this was one of their adult titles I wouldn't complain. But it's not, it's a rated T+ comic title. And there's a fine line in what sexual imagery is appropriate for a mature comic compared to a teen comic.

Also, pardon my ignorance. But what exactly is a d20STL?

bento

Explorer
F-Bomb on X3 DVD

Now I know that this probably reflects more on the decisions of Fox Entertainment than it does Marvel, but last night after watching my DVD copy of X3: The Last Stand, I went through the deleted scenes for the first time. In the scene where Mystique is being transported in the trailer and mouthing off to the guards, in the deleted scene the guard snarles back "Shut the f#@* up, b$#@&!" :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: !

:confused:

I am so glad the kids were downstairs doing something else at the time. I've let both my kids see the first X-Men movie, and my older one (10) saw most of the second movie. Neither have seen the third, and they AIN'T gonna until they are at least thirteen now! :uhoh:

I'm sure someone at Marvel went through the DVD before it was released, but WOW, whoever approved that deleted scene on the DVD should be fired.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
People are just going overboard and making something out of nothing, if they would have kept quite, 30 days from release it would have been forgotten about, now it is an collectable with a bidding war on ebay!

Bring back the comic advisory board and cut off the fingers of the artist! Hang them! Drag them back to congress and have hearings like was done in the 50s! :eek:

Remove ads