• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes for Hire: Marvel's new hentai title!

Ranger REG

Explorer
RedShirtNo5 said:
Anyone saying this is a hentai cover is way out of line. People need to remember Sigmund Freud's advice:
"Sometimes a tentacle dripping milky viscous fluid onto the breasts of a manacled woman is just a tentacle dripping milky viscous fluid onto the breasts of a manacled woman."
Hey, if Freud want to dream of his mother in a tentacle rape scene, so be it. :p

BTW, isn't Sigmund a fan of Heavy Metal?

cwhs01

First Post
bento said:
I'm sure someone at Marvel went through the DVD before it was released, but WOW, whoever approved that deleted scene on the DVD should be fired.

What surprises me is that people are more offended by the language than the blatant use of graphic violence. I mean using the f-word is worse and more shocking than supposed heroes hacking of peoples arms, repeatedly stabbing people with 10 inch blades or dissolving their boyfriends?

Personally i don't really mind any of it because of the context. Overall the film features not-terribly realistic violence, no blood and guts and only the villains get to use foul language:)
I would only really have been surprised and dissapointed if the film featured none of this.

The cover to Heroes for Hire otoh is just to blatantly obvious and borderline annoying. So i guess it worked.

Felon

First Post
I'd like to request that people stop using the word "hentai" as if that designmation alone carries some inherently horrible ramification? If you have a problem with it, then get specific. I'd really like to.

But since nobody can say the tentacles are doing anything explicitly sexual, then all that's left for the drama-prone to decry is that it's evocative of some style of some other pictures where there are tentacles doing something sexually-explicit. Through that little act of transposition, tentacles wavering ambiguously suddenly become tentacles engaging in the act of rape.

danzig138

Explorer
bento said:
My parents gave me money when I was eleven to purchase Mad magazine, because they knew that while the magazine "tweaked the nose of society," the publisher had guidelines the product didn't cross. It was SNL for pre-teens in comic form.
When I was 11, I used my money (that I worked for) for comincs and copies of The Destroyer, and heavy metal music.

But releasing this DVD with the F-bomb dropped very prominantly, is very disappointing. Same can be said for some of the scenes from the movie itself, such as Kitty Pryde's banter with Juggernaut.
Hrmmm, I'm not going to get bent out of shape because my kids might hear something on a DVD that I'm pretty sure they've heard at school, and I know they've heard from me countless times.

Before I had kids, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Now that I'm a guardian of the next generation, when my kids ask for money to purchase a Colossus action figure, I'll probably tell them "no" but give them money for the Ben 10 figure instead.
Hey, whatever works for you. Certainly, you not buying things is a much better solution than someone getting fired because you didn't like the content. Since, you know, you're not the only person out there, and parents don't have a unilateral vision.

Not to forget, the X-Men has never been a particularly kid-friendly title that I recall.

I have to say, now I'm thinking I should get Guardian of the Next Generation tattooed somewhere on my person though.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Felon said:
I'd like to request that people stop using the word "hentai" as if that designmation alone carries some inherently horrible ramification? If you have a problem with it, then get specific. I'd really like to.

But since nobody can say the tentacles are doing anything explicitly sexual, then all that's left for the drama-prone to decry is that it's evocative of some style of some other pictures where there are tentacles doing something sexually-explicit. Through that little act of transposition, tentacles wavering ambiguously suddenly become tentacles engaging in the act of rape.
QFT - People seem to have dirty minds, kind of makes you wonder what they are thinking and repressing. :) Now, that Jessica Abba poster of her eatting an ice cream cone, that is just erotic! :cool:

bento

Explorer
danzig138 said:
Not to forget, the X-Men has never been a particularly kid-friendly title that I recall.

You're absolutely right!*

*Except for the time that Chris Claremont created Kitty Pryde to give pre-teen readers a character to idenfity with.
And the time he introduced a cute dragon (Lockheed) that was a supporting character for several years
And the time Kitty spent an entire issue telling a sick Illya Rasputine a bedtime story with the team play fairie tale characters
And the two cartoon series that ran for years on Fox Kids
And the new action toy line aimed at 3 to 5 year olds
And the happy meal toys at Burger King supporting the X-Men Evolution series
And the X-Men Adventures comic line from the mid-1990s

Yep, those X-Men really aren't kid friendly! ;)

Darth Shoju

First Post
Felon said:

If it was just tentacles it wouldn't be a problem. If they had the heroines on the cover looking horrified at some creature with only the tentacles visible to the viewer then it would come across as a horror, Cthulhu-esque image. But that isn't what is being portrayed. We have all of the women, chained with their hands up, their clothes ripped, their faces portraying timid fear, rendered in a decidedly anime-influenced style (hence their sharp chins, large eyes, thin wastes, etc) AND they are being menaced by tentacles dripping a viscous substance (some of which is on Black Cat's breasts). Really, just because they aren't being actually violated by the tentacles doesn't mean the cover isn't meant to evoke the hentai/tentacle-pr0n genre.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hey gang --

You're probably familiar with the "Grandma rule," where we don't want anything on the site that would offend our grandmas. Unremarkably, grandma is not terribly psyched about a discussion of tentacle rape. Please keep this in mind as you discuss the comic cover; while we'd rather keep the thread open, we want to make sure that things stay appropriate for any pre-teenagers who come by.

Thanks!

Remove ads