• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes for Hire: Marvel's new hentai title!

bento

Explorer
Most DVDs have a notice at the beginning that any and all commentaries are not endorsed by the company.

Funny thing on comments - I watched Daredevil once with the comments on and both the director and producer would gush about an actor or actress performance everytime they came on screen. "Oh Duncan Clarke was a joy to work with!" "I can't wait to work with Jennifer Garner again." Blah, blah. Except one actor was never treated this way - Ben Affleck! They didn't say anything about his performance during the entire movie. WHAT A SLAM!

Getting back to my point, it would seem to me in the best interest of Marvel to have the right to "nerf" any and all comments that would disparage their company, show their characters in a bad light, or cause problems for the brand. You know that Disney certainly does this, and I'm sure DC/Warner does as well.

Volaran

First Post
bento said:
Most DVDs have a notice at the beginning that any and all commentaries are not endorsed by the company.

The warning usually indicates that the views are not representative of the company's opinions, yes. Would the deleted scene you found distasteful and unworthy of inclusion have been completely all right if there had been a warning that it contained foul language?

I was mostly curious because your disapproval of it being there seemed to have to do with the brand more than the film rating.

Megatron

Explorer
Alzrius said:
In all honesty, this doesn't seem to be generating any controversy at all, at least not of any significant variety. Women in sexy outfits in comics are nothing new, and the idea that a tentacle or two there somehow implies a tentacle rape scene is a pretty large leap on the part of the reader.

Simply put, who cares what the cover shows? There's nothing explicit there, and it's what's on the inside pages that matters more. Horace, by your own admission, you've seen hentai doujins that have less explicit covers, which by extension means the interior pages were worse. Well, this is the opposite case, with a fairly risque cover, and interior images that absolutely won't feature any sort of tentacle raping.

Simply put, there's nothing controversial here. If there were no tentacles there, this wouldn't be an issue, and because there's one or two which aren't doing anything, some hysterical people are assigning meaning to that and raising an outcry at the top of their lungs.

Honestly, I wish people would save the indignation for something that was worth all of the energy to get that riled up over.

sums it up well.

Klaus

First Post
Alzrius said:
In all honesty, this doesn't seem to be generating any controversy at all, at least not of any significant variety. Women in sexy outfits in comics are nothing new, and the idea that a tentacle or two there somehow implies a tentacle rape scene is a pretty large leap on the part of the reader.

Simply put, who cares what the cover shows? There's nothing explicit there, and it's what's on the inside pages that matters more. Horace, by your own admission, you've seen hentai doujins that have less explicit covers, which by extension means the interior pages were worse. Well, this is the opposite case, with a fairly risque cover, and interior images that absolutely won't feature any sort of tentacle raping.

Simply put, there's nothing controversial here. If there were no tentacles there, this wouldn't be an issue, and because there's one or two which aren't doing anything, some hysterical people are assigning meaning to that and raising an outcry at the top of their lungs.

Honestly, I wish people would save the indignation for something that was worth all of the energy to get that riled up over.
While I agree that there are other things more worthy of indignation (and there are a LOT of them), the simple fact is that this is a hentai cover. It is meaningless if the contents are nothing like that, the cover is, and it's the cover who is being discussed here.

Joe Quesada's response to this was "these are the Brood. The Brood have tentacles.". Uh, yeah, but the Brood uses it's tentacles to forcibly implant their eggs into unwilling hosts. So, yeah, the Heroes for Hire here are being threatened with tentacle rape.

There are, like, dozens of ways this cover could be made less hentai. For one, the Heroes could be putting up a fight, struggling against their bonds. And there could be less dripping, specially on Black Cat's breasts (which one website called "the money shot").

Marvel ran this cover precisely to generate controversy.

Felon

First Post
Klaus said:
While I agree that there are other things more worthy of indignation (and there are a LOT of them), the simple fact is that this is a hentai cover.
I don't think opinions become facts just because you assert them with insistence.

Joe Quesada's response to this was "these are the Brood. The Brood have tentacles.". Uh, yeah, but the Brood uses it's tentacles to forcibly implant their eggs into unwilling hosts. So, yeah, the Heroes for Hire here are being threatened with tentacle rape.
The brood don't implant their eggs with their tentacles. They used to use their tongues, established way back in Clairmont's run on the X-Men. I think they've used their stingers as well (which is what stingers are for in the first place), but not their tentacles. So, you've got that wrong.

And the brood don't implant their eggs through sexual penetration, so that's another thing you've got wrong. It ain't rape, at least not in a literal sense.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Klaus said:
While I agree that there are other things more worthy of indignation (and there are a LOT of them), the simple fact is that this is a hentai cover. It is meaningless if the contents are nothing like that, the cover is, and it's the cover who is being discussed here.

There are, like, dozens of ways this cover could be made less hentai. For one, the Heroes could be putting up a fight, struggling against their bonds. And there could be less dripping, specially on Black Cat's breasts (which one website called "the money shot").

Marvel ran this cover precisely to generate controversy.

Exactly. This was a calculated risk to generate sales. It is very much intended to evoke the hentai genre: if these are supposed to be kick-ass martial arts superheroes, why do they look like terrified schoolgirls? Black Cat looks downright timid. Also, as Klaus pointed out, there's the "money shot" all over her chest. The only reason those tentacles aren't touching body parts is because Marvel knows that would have caused *too* much controversy.

The thing is, I'm not even really against the cheesecake aspect of many comics. I can take tackiness with a smile. This I just find lame.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Klaus said:
Or they could change the tentacles to resembles child-friendly pink, furry elephant-trunk appendages.

Granted, I would never let any children buy that comic without checking the contents, but I would not be someone to publicly berate the publisher.

Maybe Marvel should follow Disney: establish a subsidiary label for mature audience.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Anyone saying this is a hentai cover is way out of line. People need to remember Sigmund Freud's advice:
"Sometimes a tentacle dripping milky viscous fluid onto the breasts of a manacled woman is just a tentacle dripping milky viscous fluid onto the breasts of a manacled woman."

Remove ads