• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes, Inc - Heroic Mercs in FR OOC Thread

DM_Matt

First Post
Kirinke and Frostrune:

I noticed in the appendix of Player's Guide to Faerun there is an alternate version of the Aasimar. It is the same as the regular version except there is no level adjustment, and your type becomes humanoid(planetouched), which means that you count as both a humanoid AND an outsider. Essentially the difference is you would lose immunity to hold/charm/dominate PERSON (though not the monster versions), in return for a level (And the ability to use Enlarge Person). You may stick with the version you have now, or if you want you can switch to this version.

kirinke

First Post
Hmm. I think I'll stick with the version I have now. That immunity to charm/dominate/hold is darned useful, especially when we're dealing with critters who tend to like to use it alot. Also, Alethia is considered a O ECL character, since she gave up a level via the UA ECL reduction ruleset, so it evens out.

DM_Matt

First Post
kirinke said:
Hmm. I think I'll stick with the version I have now. That immunity to charm/dominate/hold is darned useful, especially when we're dealing with critters who tend to like to use it alot. Also, Alethia is considered a O ECL character, since she gave up a level via the UA ECL reduction ruleset, so it evens out.

Its true that she is considered an ECL 0 character, but it doesnt even out because I do not really do individual XP. If I did individual XP, then she would level a little faster and eventually catch. But without individual XP, the buyback does nothing. I can start doing indivudal XP if you really want, but its probably best (and a lot easier) for the party to just level at key points.

(Another clarification: at this level, most of your enemies that would try it would have the monster versions of these spells, and the person ones would not be that effective since the DC is rather low.)

kirinke

First Post
It's ok really. I mean, I kinda like the character concept as it is right now. And the way you're doing the XP is ok too. Hrmmm. Remember when you said you were willing to do a level exchange between Alethia's ranger/cleric levels? I'd really like to keep what I have now, but perhaps we could do a side quest to bring her back up to the rest of the group. That might work as well.

frostrune

First Post
I'm back... and thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It was my mom that passed and it was very unexpected. This one is going to sting for a while. :(

Frostrune

I'll check out the alternate aasimar and see if I want to make a switch or no. I assume the ability boosts are going to go and that may be too much for me to sacrifice. I'll let you know.

kirinke

First Post
ouch.
Can't imagine what you're going through right now. I'd seriously consider grief counciling. Right now, you're probably in shock. I know I'd be in your situation. :(
I'll say a prayer for you and yours tonight. I have a feeling we all will.

DM_Matt

First Post
frostrune said:
I'm back... and thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It was my mom that passed and it was very unexpected. This one is going to sting for a while. :(

Frostrune

I'll check out the alternate aasimar and see if I want to make a switch or no. I assume the ability boosts are going to go and that may be too much for me to sacrifice. I'll let you know.

Wow. So sorry. Not much to say here. Far wiser men than I have been stumped by the question of what to say in this situation.

RE: the alternate aasimar: Its just the different type and the lack of LA...thats it. The rest is the same. The game designers previously admitted that aasimars and tieflings are really only LA .5 or .6, and they chose to err on the side of caution. Thus, making it a little weaker tips the scales the other way. Then again, this isnt as bad a decrease for fighter folk, beucase getting enlarge person back is pretty good.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
DM Matt,

I've been having some real trouble with Crimson, posting, and actions . . . so I think that it is best that I step away from this one. My apologizes to the DM and players for stepping away in the middle of a game - this is one of the few times I have ever done that.

You're running a good game. Take care everyone and have fun.

Keia

Remove ads