Heroes of the Elemental Chaos

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I don't get why people are so quick to "give up" on 4e - at this point it still has another two years at least until it is replaced by the Next Edition, and it will probably be supported for a little while beyond that.

If you enjoy the game, why not continue to support it? In fact, that's the best way I can think of to show WotC that the ideas of 4th edition are worth carrying forward into a new iteration of the game - vote with your wallet!

Kynn

Adventurer
If you enjoy the game, why not continue to support it? In fact, that's the best way I can think of to show WotC that the ideas of 4th edition are worth carrying forward into a new iteration of the game - vote with your wallet!

I have a small wallet these days. I'd rather buy several months' worth of DDI than this particular book; the fluff isn't worth it to me.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I don't get why people are so quick to "give up" on 4e - at this point it still has another two years at least until it is replaced by the Next Edition, and it will probably be supported for a little while beyond that.

I agree that if you're having fun with 4e (as I am) that it makes sense to keep getting the material that looks fun to you (as I did with Heroes of the Elemental Chaos).

But I think we have a year and a half until the new edition is out (GenCon 2013), not "at least two years". And keep in mind that the open playtest starts in a few months; I for one plan to start trying it out as soon as I can.

So in a way, folks who like 4e but who are open to 5e might really only be playing 4e for a few more months before they switch to new material, assuming they plan to participate in the playtest.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I agree that if you're having fun with 4e (as I am) that it makes sense to keep getting the material that looks fun to you (as I did with Heroes of the Elemental Chaos).

But I think we have a year and a half until the new edition is out (GenCon 2013), not "at least two years". And keep in mind that the open playtest starts in a few months; I for one plan to start trying it out as soon as I can.

So in a way, folks who like 4e but who are open to 5e might really only be playing 4e for a few more months before they switch to new material, assuming they plan to participate in the playtest.
I was under the distinct impression that the Gencon 2013 thing was community speculation. I don't recall seeing anything official to that end.

Even if they manage to get it done "on time" if that is their target, it's not like all the stuff you'll need will be available right at launch (4e books were spread over a few months, leaked PDFs notwithstanding), nor will support for 4e disappear immediately, as in the case of 3.5 - that's one lesson they've hopefully learned - as this has been publicly stated and confirmed by Mearls.

Don't get me wrong - I signed up for the playtest too, and I plan to run what material I've been given access to, but I have the distinct impression that they'll be getting groups to playtest specific game elements, and we won't be given enough to actually run a campaign until much later on in the process; think sometime next year. I guess if one-shots is all you do, early playtest material will be ok, but for campaign use we simply won't have enough to go on. I could be mistaken.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I was under the distinct impression that the Gencon 2013 thing was community speculation. I don't recall seeing anything official to that end.

Well, that's why I said "I think" that it will be coming out at GenCon 2013. I don't know of any official announcement. But my personal guess is that it will come out then.

By the same token, saying that it will be "at least two years" until we're playing D&D Next in its official form is speculation in the other direction. We don't know one way or the other, but I'm not going to be hasty in dismissing the (in my opinion, likely) possibility that D&D Next will officially launch at GenCon 2013.

Could it be a while longer until 4e-style modules become available? Maybe. But in order to keep their current player base involved in the game, I'm guessing they want to have that stuff ready at launch. It's not ready in the playtest now from what they've said, but I'm guessing it will be a priority to have it ready for actual launch.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Well, that's why I said "I think" that it will be coming out at GenCon 2013. I don't know of any official announcement. But my personal guess is that it will come out then.

By the same token, saying that it will be "at least two years" until we're playing D&D Next in its official form is speculation in the other direction. We don't know one way or the other, but I'm not going to be hasty in dismissing the (in my opinion, likely) possibility that D&D Next will officially launch at GenCon 2013.
Sure, while it is entirely speculating, my opinion is that they will be late. I actually *hope* that they will be late, take their time to get it right, rather than rush it and make mistakes.

Could it be a while longer until 4e-style modules become available? Maybe. But in order to keep their current player base involved in the game, I'm guessing they want to have that stuff ready at launch. It's not ready in the playtest now from what they've said, but I'm guessing it will be a priority to have it ready for actual launch.
I actually doubt that this will be the case (just my opinion, of course). They've still got the 4e players playing 4e and all the tools still in place. I'd be very surprised if 4e style modules were released at launch. In fact, the way they've been publicly throwing 4e and its concepts under the bus lately, I'd be surprised if we ever see a satisfactory "4e-style" gameplay module.

I think their priority, the way they've been talking, is to get the players of prior editions on board first, then worry about their "current" customers. Only time and the market will tell if chasing these customers is a good idea or not.

I should point out that I started out really excited about 5e, and now, after seeing what they're actually focusing on, simply don't care. I am now of the opinion that it will be out when it's out, and I will judge it accordingly. I'll gladly playtest it and send in my feedback, but I'm not expecting miracles anymore. Less disappointment that way.

Jhaelen

First Post
Indeed!
Our group has only started last year playing 4e regularly, so I sincerely hope we'll continue playing it for at least a couple of years.

What I've read about 5e so far is _not_ encouraging for someone who enjoys the changes brought about by 4e. At best 5e will include options so it plays 'almost' like 4e, but it's more likely it will be a serious step back.

Probably time to skip an edition again; let's hope 6e will be a worthy successor of 4e ;)

Pour

First Post
Probably time to skip an edition again; let's hope 6e will be a worthy successor of 4e ;)

It's an odd and liberating feeling, but I share the sentiment. I guess it must come with getting a little older, the idea I can sit out an edition and be fine, and that if I like something I can stay with it and not follow the new or latest (or maybe in this case oldest) e. Oh boy, I think I've become a 4ognard...

It's an odd and liberating feeling, but I share the sentiment. I guess it must come with getting a little older, the idea I can sit out an edition and be fine, and that if I like something I can stay with it and not follow the new or latest (or maybe in this case oldest) e. Oh boy, I think I've become a 4ognard...

Heh, welcome to the club. For me it looks to be the second time I'm going to sit out an edition of D&D. You'll get used to it. :)

Remove ads