• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Skinsaw Murders

hewligan

First Post
OOC: Apologies for the delay - ENWorld was down for me (again), and then I had two professional exams, one yesterday and one today, so my focus was exclusively on that.

Anyway, onwards with the show. Gamepost to follow right after my dinner.

hewligan

First Post
The guards hang back at the entrance. Two had split off earlier to move around to the back of the house, but this required taking a separate street for Ironbriar's home was a walled affair that joined onto two other walled establishments, and in turn others, to make a winding street of wall. Oh, how the posh like to live behind their walls.

It wasn't overly large or overly grand. Functional, almost like a townhouse, but with a stable attached, and fine gardens that were starting to blossom with spring flowers and vegetables.

The large gated entrance had been locked, but Jovik had taken care of that in seconds. People had stopped to look, for you were not exactly inconspicuous, but a grimace from Jokad, and the company of the town guards added sufficient threat and authority to stop anyone wanting to hang around or ask questions.

The house itself was unlocked, the front door left open. There was fresh mud on the track leading to the house, showing that a carriage had come this way recently. Perhaps Ironbriar had not quite kept his word and had returned home in a hurry to collect some things? There was only one way to find out.

The house was quiet and dark, but with weapons bared to leach their light into the rooms, it became clear that the place had been part emptied in a hurry. Loose items of clothing littered the stairs and hall, a broken figurine sat under a sidetable, perhaps where it had toppled after being knocked by something.

From room to room you moved. Fine art, or at least fine to your untrained eyes, hung on the walls. Regal looking people, but none of them elves - very strange for an elf. There was no connection between them that you could see, almost as if a man without family wanted to create the impression of belonging. Find curtains and baroque furniture filled each room.

The kitchen was a fine room, well stocked, but empty of servants. A cold store held excellent dried meats and high end wine, although the smell of red wine on the floor and some broken glass showed that someone had recently broken a bottle.

Upstairs there were four bedrooms, one of which was fitted as a study, and another which was empty, as if awaiting decoration. The study had a large oak desk with doors lying open, some on the floor. There were pens and papers, inks and seals, but no indication of what items had been selected. A large libary against the far wall was almost complete, although perhaps a half dozen books lay on the floor, and space on the shelves for perhaps a half dozen more.

The master bedroom was a mess. Clothes strewn, weapons laid out, pieces of finery and the like ... a real mess.

The guest room was untouched, a neat, delicately decorated little room.

No sign of Ironbriar.

Jovik spoke quietly ... it was time for him to search and see what he could find, the others should guard him and listen out.

And so he started to search.

Under the desk, attached to the raw wood, was a thin wooden panel that swivelled back to reveal a tiny gap where a key may once have hid. The key was gone. Elsewhere in the study he found a small leather carrying case, of hardened leather, metal lined, with two potion bottles inside, still full. Also three fine ornamental jade figurines that had sat upon the desk, each only an inch or so in size, but very finely crafted (estimated 50gp each).

In the bedroom (master) Jovik uncovered lots of clothing that would be worth something, but too bulky to smuggle out. However, there was a particularly fine belt with a buckle of ornate silver swords, crossed in defence, hidden at the back of a wardrobe. In addition, a very high quality silver punching dagger that looked very old indeed.

Downstairs, back in the cold store, he found what appeared to be a safe that was no longer hidden in a hole in the wall, with loose bricks strewn below it. It was open, and the contents gone.

The drinking/parlour room contains some fine bone dice (value estimated at 80gp) and some very high quality cigars (10gp, but worth a smoke). In addition an incredibly rare bottle of almagnac that could sell for 200gp.

Not much else. The place was deserted and the servants appear to have fled.

OOC: Item list: punching dagger, belt, 2 potions - all need identifying. Items for sale or use as listed above.

Shall I move on to the scene where we raise Kael and get the reward???

Rhun

First Post
"Damn," says Danth, after the house is searched. "I'd rather hoped we would find that rat Ironbriar here. It would have given us all the reason in the world to smite him down."

OOC: I'm fine with you moving on and getting Kael back in the game.

Fenris

Adventurer
"I wish he would have left some more evidence behind, some clue as to the power beyond Xanesha. Though maybe it was her. And I wish he would have left more valuables behind" Jovik adds with a wolfish grin tossing Jokad a cigar and stashing the rest of the portable loot in his bag.

OOC: I want the belt identified as well, but assuming it is mundane, how much is it worth?
Otherwise I am good with moving ahead as well

Last edited:

frostrune

First Post
Jokad deftly catches the cigar and sniffs it lovingly. He looks at his two companions with a sour smirk and shrugs his massive shoulders as if to say 'Oh well'.

He then promptly bites off the end of the cigar, spits the nub into the corner, and stalks off to find a torch or lamp to light it with. On the way he passes through the expensive larder grabbing a bottle of wine and a sampling of other foodstuffs.

Never one to cry over spilt milk, Jokad avails himself of the remaining 'treasure' with gusto.

OOC: Jokad will unabashedly avail himself of Ironbriar's food and wine. Not enough to get drunk however. He will still assist in searching while constantly feeding his face and licking his fingers. Danth and Jovik probably find it part comical and part annoying.

Feel free to move this along for Friadoc's sake.

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: I love that we all wanted something else. The cleric wanted venegance and justice. The Rogue wanted loot and the barbarian, well I guess he got what he wanted, food and drink. :D

hewligan

First Post
OOC: Just lost a big post due to my useless stop-gap laptop!

IC: It is hard to celebrate when one of your friends lies dead in the next room, but a couple of very fine bottles of red wine smuggled out of Ironbriar's house made a fitting toast to both Kael, and the battles fought this day.

And then sleep came to wash away the aches of the day.

At dawn the priests came to take the body of Kael and have him lie, annointed in oils, to await the judgement of the Gods (it is believed that if the Gods do not want the soul to be returned from their domain, they will leave a clear mark on the corpse during this time).

At eleven you receive the call to attend the church, for the reincarnation shall proceed at noon. The mayor meets you there, and greets you all warmly, before realising that perhaps now is time for a sober face. With him he has several dignitaries, ceremonial guards, and some nobles whom he introduces you to and you recognise as names on your list.

The ceremony is long and complicated, with readings, hymns, and then a short, but rather pointed speach from the head of the church who makes it clear that while not exactly thrilled to be called upon to raise those who live by the sword, he understands that favours can be called, and that the church is friend of the state. Points are clearly being made here, but more for the benefit of the mayor than yourselves.

And then the spell is invoked.

None of you have ever witnessed such a thing before. Jokad has seen only death. Jovik is from a town too poor for such luxuries. Danth from a church too small to ever have been exposed to such expensive and powerful rituals.

It is an uneasy ritual. Mal seems unsettled and sits bolt upright, whining loudly throughout.

But there are no flashing lights, just a chorus of human voices as the choir add some drama to the proceedings, and then it is done.

The church leader steps back, nods once at you all, and states simply "he needs to rest". With that he walks over, shakes the mayor's hand, and disappears.

Nobody seems certain what to do. Kael still lies motionless on the slab. Then Mal barks loudly, shattering the uneasy atmosphere, as he runs over and barks again and again at the side of the motionless Kael. The dog nudges Kael's trailing hand, before pushing his wet nose into the palm. That, at last, seems to awaken the slumbering man.

"Where am I?" he half croaks, his throat painfully dry, as he pulls himself upwards into a half sitting position.

------

Some time later, after the questions and excited chatter had finished, the mayor approached the party, followed by several men.

"Wolves of Sandpoint, for I found out last night you are the same group that earlier saved our trading partner, it is time for me to impart the second part of our reward upon you. We have done much work over the night, pulling in some very powerful connections, and we have corroborated your story, as well as having some very strong leads on where Ironbriar is heading. We are going to finish him. We have also found out the names of the young cultists you mentioned to me. They will be made to know that we will be watching them very closely from now on.

So I thank you again, 100 times. We had a very powerful evil amongst us, and clearly there were plans to kill many of us ((he gestures at huis companions as he says this)). We do not know why, but perhaps Ironbriar will reveal more when we find him.

Relax now, enjoy your time in our fine city. Our reward, which is a mix of reward from the city itself and from these fine gentlement, is awaiting you in the cart outside. My guards will deliver it safely to your base.
"

--------

OOC: Reward is 4500gp each (in gems, bars, ingots, platinum, etc.). An amazing amount of wealth the likes of which you have never seen before. It almost looks like a dragon's hoard in the cart.

In addition, you have the items mentioned to identify, but let me know how you are going to identify these so that we can deduct the cost if you are paying for it.

You can sell any of the identified items here for 50% value, as is normal. You may be able to buy some magical items to your liking in Magnimar, but it is not a huge city, so let me know roughly what you want and I will let you know a cost if available, or the next nearest item.

Lets take care of the items and gold first, and then I will do a final post to end this adventure.....

frostrune

First Post
Jokad is watches the pomp and pagentry of the ceremony with a mixture of awe and trepidation. That he was uncomfortable being in that towering cathedral was evident but he realized the significance of the event that few men would ever see.

Tales may be told around a campfire of ancient heroes, favored of the Gods, who could not be stopped even by death. But no one had ever seen such things. Somewhere, jumbled amongst a milion other thoughts, the barbarian wondered if they were destined for greater glories; if they were favored of the Gods. Certainly Danth was. The power of Sarenrae manifested strongly through him. Kael may now be granted a wonderous boon by the Gods of light. He looks curiously over at Jovik and chuckles briefly; an action that seems sorely out of place. He thinks to himself, "A small town street thief and a dirt scrabbling outlander... Nah, we are the sidekicks in this grand adventure."

As things begin in earnest the Shoanti's eyes are drawn to the altar and the magical workings of the old priest reach a crescendo. Nothing seems to happen. At Mal's bark his heart nearly leaps from his chest. Mal knew! Mal could sense his master's return! Heedless of the proper decorum Jokad rose from his seat and moved a few steps closer to the altar. A broad grin split his weathered features as he patiently awaited Kael to rise....

To Mayor Grobaris and his companions...

"Lord Mayor, my words are base and not well suited to the courts of civilized men but I thank you deeply for all you have done for our friend. I will forever be in your debt."

OOC: Jokad will want to take his share of the reward and commission some magical armor (+2 breastplate sounds nice! $4350 gp). Since it has to be MW to start, perhaps a bas-relief wolf's head on the breast and wolf skulls for shoulder plates.

Definitely want the other stuff identified. If Kael can't do it we'll pay for it somehow.

Friadoc

Explorer
OOC:

I'm here, folks, and working up a post, but it might take a little while, as I've a major Biology test tomorrow. But, post is a coming and awesome megapost, hewligan. :D

Remove ads