D&D (2024) High tier Fighter − the mythic warrior

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
-a quote-unquote 'power source' of just the magical background radiation of a world enhancing the baseline of upper capabilities of any and all creatures given them proper training, or their passive ki: harnessing the natural energies of their bodies to reach superhuman capabilities, keep training yourself well enough and there's no upper limit to how strong you will become(explicitly being supernatural or being specially significant by being the chosen one or godblooded or whatever undercuts the appeal of the fighter flavour for alot of people of just being the ordinary guy who became great through their own skill and effort).

-most of their basic attack actions have AoE capabilites, whirlwind strike hits everyone adjacent, fire a cone of arrows, dash attack hits everyone you pass in a 15ft line, the ones that don't AoE are spike single target damage or inflict status.

-just, basic superstrength stuff, throwing battleaxes like they're handaxes, jump across a 30ft gorge no running start, swing trees like the hulk could, shake the earth and shatter stone with your blows, run across the battlefield and back in seconds, climb a cliff and swim across a river like it's a sunday stroll.

-techniques, fighters should be picking up fighting styles and maneuvres all over the place(and have the resources to use the latter frequently), and other such passive buffs, like gaining+providing increased flanking+to hit bonuses than other classes, they know how to wield a blade so well it can bypass nonmagical resistance.

-marking and drawing aggro and threatening an area and being able to actually protect your allies beyond hitting enemies as quick and as many times as possible to kill them before they kill your side.

Some stuff I’m less certain about:
-being able to make gear out of looted monster pieces.
-low level ‘regen’ stamina, even if it’s just 1d4 hitpoints recovered at end of a turn when conscious.
-skill versatility, being able to pick up temporary skill proficiencies through training crash courses.

It’s late so maybe forgetting something or other but that’s what came to mind

Some random thoughts about this subject:

1. DND Players will do anything to avoid talking about fixing Casters.

2. We can, in fact, just let things be what we say they are instead of trying to qualify them with genre violating tags like mythical, magical, etc.

3. Likewise, we can also not force people to "pretend" a mechanic is doing something else like this is a video game that can't do what we want. We don't have to "pretend", we can just be.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Some random thoughts about this subject:

1. DND Players will do anything to avoid talking about fixing Casters.

2. We can, in fact, just let things be what we say they are instead of trying to qualify them with genre violating tags like mythical, magical, etc.

3. Likewise, we can also not force people to "pretend" a mechanic is doing something else like this is a video game that can't do what we want. We don't have to "pretend", we can just be.
In what way do the terms mythical and magical violate genre?

Generally speaking, I guess I don't really understand what you're complaining about.

In what way do the terms mythical and magical violate the genre?

Mythic fantasy is literally a different genre altogether, and having to qualify if something still counts as "mundane" by affixing tags to it is not a hallmark of Appendix N fiction.

Just as much as theres hard and soft magic, theres also soft and hard mundaneity; you don't have to qualify a character being more capable than real humans, at all, even if they're depicted in the literal real world. The classic action hero is the epitome of that, who at most is only qualified by something that already exists thats used as shorthand to explain why they can be badass, like being Special Forces or a Super Spy or whatever; they don't need some otherworldly, nonexistent thing to be what the fiction says they are.

If we're adding such things, then we are violating the genre of the action movie and crossing into one or more of superheroes, scifi, horror, fantasy, etc.

The same is true of DND and Appendix N fiction. This perpetual debate is only as prevalent as it is because we keep trying to negotiate a way around doing what the game actually needs.

Having to qualify a better designed martial with tags like "mythical" just to satisfy the whims of an unseen and unspeaking phantasm thats totally going to freak out if you make martials better or fix casters is just, a waste of time and energy, and a lost cause at that as the consequences of taking that route will affect the game in ways people are way too flippant about.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Mythic fantasy is literally a different genre altogether, and having to qualify if something still counts as "mundane" by affixing tags to it is not a hallmark of Appendix N fiction.

Just as much as theres hard and soft magic, theres also soft and hard mundaneity; you don't have to qualify a character being more capable than real humans, at all, even if they're depicted in the literal real world. The classic action hero is the epitome of that, who at most is only qualified by something that already exists thats used as shorthand to explain why they can be badass, like being Special Forces or a Super Spy or whatever; they don't need some otherworldly, nonexistent thing to be what the fiction says they are.

If we're adding such things, then we are violating the genre of the action movie and crossing into one or more of superheroes, scifi, horror, fantasy, etc.

The same is true of DND and Appendix N fiction. This perpetual debate is only as prevalent as it is because we keep trying to negotiate a way around doing what the game actually needs.

Having to qualify a better designed martial with tags like "mythical" just to satisfy the whims of an unseen and unspeaking phantasm thats totally going to freak out if you make martials better or fix casters is just, a waste of time and energy, and a lost cause at that as the consequences of taking that route will affect the game in ways people are way too flippant about.

Okay as much as the point is valid, just reminding everyone that the last thread got shut down because of this very debate. Im suggesting that we avoid the debate here and just stick to OP premise.
The debate might be held elsewhere in a dedicated thread :)

Scribe

Legend
In what way do the terms mythical and magical violate genre?

The video that was linked, and has since been removed, of the guys getting launched by palm trees, forming a shield bubble, and flying through walls of spears, or literal walls, and then 'landing it' with a bounce ready to go?

Thats no setting I want to play a Fighter in, and violates the type of Fantasy settings I would wish to play in.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The video that was linked, and has since been removed, of the guys getting launched by palm trees, forming a shield bubble, and flying through walls of spears, or literal walls, and then 'landing it' with a bounce ready to go?

Thats no setting I want to play a Fighter in, and violates the type of Fantasy settings I would wish to play in.
Oh, sure. Me too, unless it's explicitly a superhero thing. But there are a lot of people here who very much want to change D&D into something it was never designed to be, for better or for worse, and I'm trying to be as accommodating as I can be.

Scribe

Legend
Oh, sure. Me too, unless it's explicitly a superhero thing. But there are a lot of people here who very much want to change D&D into something it was never designed to be, for better or for worse, and I'm trying to be as accommodating as I can be.

Yeah, I'm off that ride personally. Sick of people changing what I enjoy(ed) for their own dubious reasons. Now that Paizo is expunging what they feel they need to out of PF2, I'm just not going to bother with the D&D (of which I include PF) branch of RPGs anymore.

Remove ads