Highest level spell combos

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm getting a number of replies that interpret my question as "how do I best kill off my PCs?" or, alternatively but not more usefully, phrased as "How would Acecerak best put his abilities to use, given the D&D rules".

While the difference to my actual query - "how do I run Acecerak in a way that is both fun and impressively dangerous to the players?" - might be subtle, it is nevertheless fundamental.

Unless you understand the difference, I'm afraid you won't understand my reluctance to, say, casting a spell more than half the characters can never save against (Psychic Scream) or using broken combos like "Sphere of Annihilation in a Forcecube".

I am not quoting anyone directly here, because I don't intend this post as a personal attack. I intend this post to encourage replies that acknowledge that Acecerak COULD set up infinite Simulacrums, yet WON'T, since anything that doesn't come across as "harsh but fair" and ultimately "fun and exciting" to the players (not the DM or his NPCs) isn't going to happen.

Why? Because ultimately it's up to the DM, not Acecerak. And the job of DM is to give the players a good time - decidedly different from Acecerak's job (which might very well be to torture and humiliate the characters). By knowing the difference, your proposals will be appreciated and helpful! :)

Thank you

CapnZapp

Legend
This would also help mitigate some of the 50 hp regenerated each round.
I think the ideas are neat, though I will probably not use any idea that creates more monsters or even targets myself. I want Acecerak to be a true solo BBEG, made even more awesome precisely because he is (after all) a lich - probably the glassiest glass cannon the game can offer! :)

A nitpick: the Trickster God bonus doesn't actually regenerate any lost hit points. It provides 50 temporary hp each round.

Good luck with your game and thank you for your impressive ideas! :)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Go for it! I think your intention in increasing its size is to circumvent the whole "Anything else that touches the sphere but isn't wholly engulfed and obliterated by it takes 4d10 force damage" bit, and go straight to "The sphere obliterates all matter it passes through and all matter that passes through it." In other words, an instant kill.

You'll want to consider how you'll handle a "No Save, Just Die" scenario. I'd start with foreshadowing and dropping clues about ways to deal with a sphere of annihilation besides trying to wrest control of it from a super-intelligent lich with a talisman of the sphere (i.e. use portal magic).

Totally. Place the sphere among clustered PCs, erect some kind of force barrier (which the sphere of annihilation can't eat through) around them, and then play Bowling-For-Adventurers with the sphere.
Actually, I somehow made up a save in my mind. Thank you for reminding me there is none.

I will probably have Acecerak keep his Sphere close at hand. Effectively I intend to use it more as an "grappler repellant" than a "player killer" :) That is, the bane of any medium-size caster (like a lich) is Fightery heroes closing in for melee combat, or worse, wrestling. In my case: the Barbarian, Monk and Paladin.

One way out of it is to Shapechange into a much larger form that still allows spellcasting (and provides a neat hp buffer). But the advantage of using the Sphere is that it allows Acecerak to retain his original shape, taunting the heroes to attack him. (In my mind, Acecerak is mightily vain, and despises form-changing magic. "Anything that can't be done in lich form isn't worth doing at all" or somesuch :)

Yes, I will be sure to explain how Spheres of Annihilation works. This way the melee bruisers get a puzzle of their own - how to first goading Acecerak to use up his reaction, then bodyslam him to move him out of range of his Sphere, and then proceeding to shred him into slices of lich!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, that's the idea. It is thematic magic inspired by contingency and magic jar, but it breaks how those spells traditionally work...magic jar is not only too high of a level for contingency, but it also takes a casting time of 1 minute. I think a less rules-defying approach – if you want one – would be to treat this trick as a homebrew 9th-level spell that is cast as a reaction and blends aspects of contingency, feign death, and magic jar.
Thank you for pointing out the second rulebreak.

I think that allowing Contingency (cast in a level 7 slot) to work on a minute-spell (like Magic Jar) is an easy sell to my players (as opposed to something they would consider grossly unfair). So I'll save my level 9 slots for the fireworks. :)

Since this particular BBEG is the glassiest glass cannon in the game, I am not hoping for a long drawn out fight. My hope is that when Acecerak first appears, the players are going to salivate, then panic, the scramble to kill it with everything they have, then sit shellshocked when they succeed... and then panic again when Acecerak-in-a-Jar REALLY starts :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: with them! :devil:

I recall [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] you mentioned wanting to preserve the +50 temporary HP to "show your players how a party of 10th level PCs could have a chance against Acererak in the RAW module." I guess that's important to you for some reason? But what you could do – to preserve that goal of yours, and also increase the threat posed to your six-person party of 14th level PCs – is use an Escalation Die.
Isn't it to you? It explains to the players how the module can pit the original heroes against the "same" BBEG. Since I have to basically retool everything about the Tomb of Nine Gods I will happily take every chance of making my players forget this fact and instead focus on the original aspects wherever I can retain them.

Plus, I haven't yet made the math, but I have a feeling I need the 50 thp if I'm going to spring my Reverse Gravity and Prismatic Sphere combo on them. Which I totally will since it is awesomely nasty! :)

If possible I will target the Barbarian and Paladin, who both wear Efreeti armor. This way, they will be grateful for their fire immunity when they see lava raining down, while still kept busy with all the saves they need to make. And the players that isn't standing under the sphere won't be completely killed (and the lack of a save for the lava is a great equalizer for the Monk and Rogue, who otherwise might ace any Dex saves).

Quickleaf

Legend
Thank you for pointing out the second rulebreak.

I think that allowing Contingency (cast in a level 7 slot) to work on a minute-spell (like Magic Jar) is an easy sell to my players (as opposed to something they would consider grossly unfair). So I'll save my level 9 slots for the fireworks. :)

Since this particular BBEG is the glassiest glass cannon in the game, I am not hoping for a long drawn out fight. My hope is that when Acecerak first appears, the players are going to salivate, then panic, the scramble to kill it with everything they have, then sit shellshocked when they succeed... and then panic again when Acecerak-in-a-Jar REALLY starts :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: with them! :devil:

Sounds like you have a pretty good "encounter script" to play off of. :cool:

CapnZapp said:
Isn't it to you? It explains to the players how the module can pit the original heroes against the "same" BBEG. Since I have to basically retool everything about the Tomb of Nine Gods I will happily take every chance of making my players forget this fact and instead focus on the original aspects wherever I can retain them.

Plus, I haven't yet made the math, but I have a feeling I need the 50 thp if I'm going to spring my Reverse Gravity and Prismatic Sphere combo on them. Which I totally will since it is awesomely nasty! :)

If possible I will target the Barbarian and Paladin, who both wear Efreeti armor. This way, they will be grateful for their fire immunity when they see lava raining down, while still kept busy with all the saves they need to make. And the players that isn't standing under the sphere won't be completely killed (and the lack of a save for the lava is a great equalizer for the Monk and Rogue, who otherwise might ace any Dex saves).

Yeah that lava (~55 fire damage) + prismatic spray (~35 variable damage on failed save) could be brutal, depending on which of your gang's PCs are targeted. Makes sense you might keep the temporary hp.

On a personal note, my players know that I'm introducing new material and modifying material to make ToA more fun for them. I've told them as much. For example, I invented a lot of my own stuff for Mezro and the jungle hexcrawl that they've had a blast with. I'm augmenting their return trip to Kir Sabal with a margoyle, magic missile-casting gargoyles, a bit of intrigue, and a skill challenge ascent made more perilous by the gargoyle vs. aarakocra/air elemental fighting. And I'm weaving Xandala into Nangalore to make it more of a challenge. I'm very likely going to modify the Acererak confrontation in a couple ways to suit our campaign (e.g. I've been foreshadowing him since early on).

My players are just 6th-level but they're a savvy capable group, so I watch other DMs like yourself who are further along in ToA with great interest!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Since it's tangentially related, here's my current draft for Sunday's game, where the team of six level 14 heroes will face Acecerak.

Unlike most other monsters of the module, I didn't need to beef him up :)

Of course, his listed spell load out is basically drained down the toilet, and replaced with a more flashy and impressive one. His biggest change is that unless the heroes are particularly unlucky, I plan to give him one legendary action per hero (=6), just as I have done in general for legendary creatures.

As discussed, the trickster god bonus has been supplemented with one +12 save each round. (The specific reason to add it was the Psychic Scream spell suggestion, which I ended up not using).

Acecerak's Tactics
At the end of the round where the heroes injure either the Atropal or the Soulmonger (“round zero”), Acecerak shifts in - and the trickster gods immediately start shrieking. He arrives invisible*, and with Sadamor's Sphere of Annihilation (medium-sized, so to avoid the save) in tow. This in turn triggers the trickster god abilities: 50 temporary hit points at the start of each round plus the ability to let the trickster god handle one saving throw each round (at +12).

His actual location is the southern-most balcony, but unless he rolls a 1 on his Time Stop die, he attempts to fool the party into believing he appears on the strut of the Soulmonger (like in the illo).

At the start of round 1, roll initiative for Acecerak. He has advantage* on the roll.

*) item if you want to explain these abilities: Give Acecerak a "Ring of Accelerated Invisibility" (legendary, requires attunement). As per ring of invisibility, plus you gain advantage on initiative rolls. (Acecerak had one attunement slot free.)

Round #1: Cast time stop (remember, you are hopefully invisible and can't be counterspelled). Then cast 2-5 spells:
First: prismatic wall (sphere, 30 ft diameter) above the heads of the heroes
(Second): mislead* (to appear as if on an adamantine strut per the illustration while in reality not doing anything as foolish; plus go invisible again to prevent getting counterspelled)
The intended result here is for Acecerak to appear on the strut as if he has always been there, and that he just became visible for casting spells. Even if the illusion only soaks a single character's attacks, that counts as a success in a murderuously intense fight like a lich fight

(Third): forcecage (catch one or two heroes: preferably ones not under prismatic sphere)
(Fourth): mirror image
Last: reverse gravity (ending the time stop).
Damage: 55 (10d10) fire damage (no save) in the reverse gravity area. Creatures below the prismatic sphere:
- Con save or be blinded
- dex save for 35 (10d6) fire damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) acid damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) lightning damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) poison damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) cold damage or half
- dex save or be restrained (three con saves to be free or petrified)
- dex save or be blinded, and wis save or be cast into the ethereal plane*
Total possible average damage 55 + 175 damage (better make some of those saves!)
*) the spell offers Astral as an alternative, but given Acecerak's protections on the Tomb, I think ethereal is actually the logical choice

At-will 1st through 3rd level spells:
Dispel Magic (if bothered by a particular effect)
Invisibility (cast it after a PC's turn before a spellcaster's turn)
Mirror Image (cast it after a PC's turn before a melee bruiser's turn)
Misty Step (cast it to escape grappled)
...as decidedly secondary choices
Lightning Bolt (cast to harass PCs)

Legendary actions analysis (with six actions against six heroes, the 2 or 3 cost actions aren't actually as bad):
At-Will Spells: great, see above
Melee Attack (option Paralyzing touch): not so great, unless both Druid and Paladin is taken out of the picture (and thus can't trivially cure the paralyzed condition). Paralyzing touch has a low to-hit bonus. It must be targeted at a low-AC creature that still wants to come close, and must be followed-up with something targeting a Strength or Dexterity save to be really effective. I suggest Chain Lightning or Disintegrate.
Melee Attack (option staff bash): Invoke Curse and attacking with the staff is way too slow in this encounter. In a completely different kind of fight (a much larger and therefore longer one), I can see this as a fall-back option against magic-immune foes.
Frightening Gaze (2): possibly, if a melee bruiser is inching closer.
Talisman of the Sphere (2): only to annihilate those stupid enough to not only attack him in melee but stay around afterwards (I will make the danger clear). Make an Int (Arcana) DC 25 check with a bonus of +22. I will use a reduced range, however - the point isn't to give Acecerak a 90 ft range instadeath button!* I'm thinking 20-30 feet, tops.
*) Could it be that the ToA writers have misinterpreted the Talisman of the Sphere? It does allow an effect that with Ace's stats becomes 90 ft but that effect is levitate, which is vertical, not horizontal, movement.

Anyhoo - since this particular Sphere is larger, nothing says it can't be slower too.

Disrupt Life (3): generally not worth it because its up the flexibility of having an action behind every hero; maybe when 3+ heroes can be caught in the effect - if and only if that ever happens. 42 (12d6) necrotic damage; DC 20 Con save for half.

Reaction: counterspell, unless only warriors left, then shield. In other words, Acecerak won't spend his only reaction on Shield unless he's reasonably sure it will be his turn before any spellcasters. (Remember that he's old school - respecting and fearing magic MUCH more than martial opponents as if he still played 3E :) )

Subsequent rounds:
He won't waste his main action on anything he can do through Legendary Actions. Translation: cast a spell of higher level than three every round! :)

I suggest Power Word Stun (ideally at a spellcaster; remember temporary hp doesn't save you)

Try to avoid Concentration spells, since even with a +12 Con save, he will lose Concentration sooner or later. Dominate Monster* and Banishment* are among the more effective ones.

Unlike the book Acecerak my lich won't flee. If it's his turn and death is imminent, he won't teleport away. Instead he will move towards as many characters as possible and then break his staff (=132 (24d10) force damage, DC 18 Dex save for half) to spite the players (who will never know the staff is basically useless to them*).
*) I did read over at rpg stack exchange that protection from good and evil presents a good case for shielding yourself from the staff's possession. If they unlikely happens they manage to snatch it from him.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Since it's tangentially related, here's my current draft for Sunday's game, where the team of six level 14 heroes will face Acecerak.

Unlike most other monsters of the module, I didn't need to beef him up :)

Of course, his listed spell load out is basically drained down the toilet, and replaced with a more flashy and impressive one. His biggest change is that unless the heroes are particularly unlucky, I plan to give him one legendary action per hero (=6), just as I have done in general for legendary creatures.

As discussed, the trickster god bonus has been supplemented with one +12 save each round. (The specific reason to add it was the Psychic Scream spell suggestion, which I ended up not using).

Acecerak's Tactics
At the end of the round where the heroes injure either the Atropal or the Soulmonger (“round zero”), Acecerak shifts in with an audible pop. He arrives invisible*, and with Sadamor's Sphere of Annihilation (medium-sized, so to avoid the save) in tow. This in turn triggers the trickster god abilities: 50 temporary hit points at the start of each round plus the ability to let the trickster god handle one saving throw each round (at +12).

At the start of round 1, roll initiative for Acecerak. He has advantage* on the roll.

*) item if you want to explain these abilities: Give Acecerak a "Ring of Accelerated Invisibility" (legendary, requires attunement). As per ring of invisibility, plus you gain advantage on initiative rolls. (Acecerak had one attunement slot free.)

Round #1: Cast time stop (remember, you are hopefully invisible and can't be counterspelled). Then cast 2-5 spells:
First: prismatic wall (sphere, 30 ft diameter) above the heads of the heroes
(Second): mislead* (to appear as if on an adamantine strut per the illustration while in reality not doing anything as foolish; plus go invisible again to prevent getting counterspelled)
(Third): forcecage (catch one or two heroes: preferably ones not under prismatic sphere)
(Fourth): mirror image
Last: reverse gravity (ending the time stop).
Damage: 55 (10d10) fire damage (no save) in the reverse gravity area. Creatures below the prismatic sphere:
- Con save or be blinded
- dex save for 35 (10d6) fire damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) acid damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) lightning damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) poison damage or half
- dex save for 35 (10d6) cold damage or half
- dex save or be restrained (three con saves to be free or petrified)
- dex save or be blinded, and wis save or be cast into the ethereal plane
Total possible average damage 55 + 175 damage (better make some of those saves!)

At-will 1st through 3rd level spells:
Dispel Magic (if bothered by a particular effect)
Invisibility (cast it after a PC's turn before a spellcaster PC)
Misty Step (cast it when grappled)
Lightning Bolt (cast to harass PCs)

Reaction: counterspell, unless only warriors left, then shield

Subsequent rounds:
Control sphere of annihilation (if a PC is careless enough to end his round close by); make an Int (Arcana) DC 25 check with a bonus of +22.
Power Word Stun (ideally at a spellcaster; remember temporary hp doesn't save you)
Paralyzing touch has a low to-hit bonus. It must be targeted at a low-AC creature that still wants to come close, and must be followed-up with something targeting a Strength or Dexterity save to be really effective. I suggest Chain Lightning or Disintegrate.
Invoke Curse and attacking with the staff is way too slow in this kind of fight.

Try to avoid Concentration spells, since even with a +12 Con save, he will lose Concentration sooner or later. Dominate Monster* and Banishment* are among the more effective ones.

Unlike the book Acecerak my lich won't flee. If it's his turn and death is imminent, he won't teleport away. Instead he will move towards as many characters as possible and then break his staff (=132 (24d10) force damage, DC 18 Dex save for half) to spite the players (who will never know the staff is basically useless to them).

Cool - let us know how it turns out please!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Very cool [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]! Please let us know how it goes.

Does Acecerak know where the PCs are? If so he can teleport in more than 60 ft away and be out of range of Counterspell the first round.

Remove ads