HM's Carrion Crown AP - CT

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Frivin starts her incantation drawing forth bits of sand. When suddenly one of the orcs yells out, "Caster!"

Stepping over for a better throw one of the orcs let's a javelin fly the missile catching her thigh as it plants itself in the ground near her.

Marshan tries diplomacy first with the orcs. "You no get peace! Just cut ta pieces man-ogre." one yells then charging forward alongside his fellow.

Gergori steps up to unleash a bomb that would certainly take one of this orcs out of this fight but the terrain proves bothersome and his aim is off. As he looks to draw a weapon one of the beasts is on top of him in a flash. It's breath is in his face, it's smell is in his nostrils, and... and... it's falchion is deep into the man's gut.

Halal rushes into the fight. He tries a quick haymaker to take out the already wounded looking orc. But the orc dodges the blow and the tengu misses. Turning back to his opponent he sees it trying to get around him, no wait. It is trying to get Halal between him and the well. As the Emissary tries to dodge aside big grey hands come in from the side to stop him, and the bandage orc grins as he too grabs at the Halal. Again the tengu takes a swing...

[sblock=Combat]
Posted in init order
Code:
Character        AC  HP  InHand/Condition
Firvinianna      13   [COLOR=Orange]6[/COLOR]  l.bow/none
Marshan         [COLOR=Cyan] 12[/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]   5 [/COLOR] l.hammer/[I][COLOR=Cyan]enlarged[/COLOR][/I]
Gergori          15   [COLOR=Orange]5[/COLOR]  none/none
Halal           [COLOR=DarkOrchid] 13 [/COLOR] 12  cestus/[COLOR=DarkOrchid]grappled[/COLOR]
Orcs(2)          13   6  falchionorjavelin/none
Orc              13  [COLOR=Red]-8 [/COLOR] falchion/[I][COLOR=Red]staggered[/COLOR][/I];location southwest of Marshan
Orc              [COLOR=YellowGreen]11[/COLOR]   6  falchion/[COLOR=YellowGreen][I]charged[/I][/COLOR];location southeast of Marshan
Orc              [COLOR=DarkOrchid]11  [/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange]4 [/COLOR] Tengu/[I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]grappled[/COLOR][/I];location east of Halal
Orc             [COLOR=YellowGreen] 11 [/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange] 5 [/COLOR] falchion/[COLOR=YellowGreen][I]charged[/I][/COLOR];location south of Gergori
Toddy            14   6  none/none
[sblock]

[sblock=Actions]
Round 1:
Firvin - begin casting sleep
Halal - move, attack (miss), judgment(swift)
Marshan - move, draw weapon, enlarge(swift)
Gergori - move, throw bomb (miss)
Ocrs - varies[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
- perrinmiller, under move actions you have none allowed, 5'step (although not a move action) I believe is allowed.
- Frivin hit by javelin but not a crit due to cover from pillar.
- Found out my Bestiary has a misprint and lists the orc falchion attack as +4 (should be +5) So hit Gergori by one.
- Need AoO from Marshan (I have not yet rolled those orcs attacks will wait)
- Need AoO from Halal
- Need concentration check from Frivin
- After Marshan's AoO only one orc could attack him this round (might have saved his life).[/sblock]

Attachments

• well encounter 1-1.jpg
    well encounter 1-1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
Marshan's swings on the outside orc to the west, nailing it good with a blow that would take down a normal man.
Toddy tries to move around to perform his flanking duties. He gets most of the way there before taking a nip that fails miserably.
[sblock=actions]Marshan AoO hits. Toddy move 2 Southwest, 4 South, 1 Southwest, then missing with the bite.[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
A soild hit from Marshan sends one of the orcs into a battlefield stupor. As it tries to gather it's wits (and falchion form it's holder) the other orc charges forward slicing a large gash into the Cleric.

The wounded orc makes his way into the fight falchion finally in hand. He shakes his head to clear the stars circling it.

Toddy nips at the orc but he may be to daze to realize he was bit.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Halal senses the Orc closing in for a grapple and instinctively snaps his head forward, stabbing his beak deep into the cheek of the foul thing.

[sblock=Actions]AoO: To Hit (1d20-3=15) for (1d3+1=4) Damage.

HM - I goofed and had Halal's CMD listed as 13. It should have been 14 (w/ Combat Expertise activated). So Halal shouldn't actually be grappled. Sorry about the mix-up, I was copying his stat-block from another character and forgot to change the CMD.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Halal Arnyeka
Initiative: +4
AC: 16 (13 Flat-Footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 12/12
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Senses: Low Light Vision
Perception: +8 (+9 vs. Traps), Sense Motive: +7

Current Weapon in Hand: Cestus

Special Abilities: Bleeding Touch (5/5), Judgements (0/1)

Prayers Available Cantrips (At-Will), 1st (2/2)
Orisons: Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Resistance, Sift
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]As a note, with you guys spreading out like that, the orcs aren't bunched up for maximum effectiveness of the sleep spell, but I failed the Concentration check anyway. I probably will ditch the spell after this, I don't like this 1 round casting time at all. :rant:

Fully aware of 5ft steps, but Full round action means no separate Move Action, that's all I meant. Also Eschew Materials means the orcs would probably need a Spellcraft roll to determine she was casting a spell. ;) But I expect one would still chuck a javelin anyway.

The EnWorld roller hates me, all my players are hitting in the game I DM and bad guys keeping hitting my characters in other games. :erm:[/sblock]
Firvin loses concentration on her spell after being hit with the javelin. She casts a spell to help protect her from additional attacks while staying behind the cover of the pillar. With her companions rushing head long into the fray while outnumbered, she expects things to not go so well and figures she will need the significant protection Mage Armor provides.

[sblock=Actions]Concentration (1d20+5=16) vs. DC 17; Fail
Free Action: None
Standard Action: Caster Mage Armor
Move Action: none taken[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +5
AC: 17 (10 flat-footed, 13 Touch, 17 w/Mage Armor)
HP: 10 Current: 10
CMB: -1 CMD: 12 Fort: +0 Reflex: +5 Will: +3 (+5 vs. Enchantments)
+1 for all with Resistance; Immune to Magical Sleep

Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Bardic Performance: 12/12 Rounds Remaining; Inspire Courage +1, Fascinate, Countersong, Distraction
Elemental Ray:
5/5 Remaining (Turn any elemental spell into Electricity)
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Detect Magic, Resistance, Ghost Sound, Message, Light, Prestidigitation
Sorcerer 1st Level Spells: 3/4 remaining; Mage Armor, Magic Missile
Bard 1st Level Spells: 1/2 remaining; Cure Light Wounds, Sleep[/sblock]___________________________________________

Firvinianna1-1.jpg
Firvinianna Laali

Satin Knights

First Post
Marshan's enlarge ends and he back steps to the north east, re-enlarges north and east, then swings on the unwounded orc that slashed him. The full force of the hammer splits the skull of the orc in two. It collapses in a pool of blood and brains, dead.

[sblock=actions]free enlarge ends, 5 ft step NE to be due south of the bard, swift enlarge to the north and east, std attack Sorry about the wrong label on the attack roll. AoO reach of mr. staggered, soft cover for the bard, and can even reach mr. bandaged.[/sblock][sblock=mini stats]Marshan ~ Initiative: +2
AC: 14 (12 flat-footed, 12 Touch) (2 Dex, 2 Leather Armor) AC: 12 enlarged
HP: 14 Current HP: 5
CMB: 2CMD: 14 Fort: +3 Reflex: +2 Will: +4

Current Weapons in Hand:
Lucerne Hammer +2, d12+3 at 10' reach; When Enlarged: Lucerne Hammer +2, 3d6+4 at 15-20' reach
Cestus +2, d4+1 at 5' reach, offhand; When Enlarged: Cestus +2, d6+1 at 5-10' reach

+3 Perception, +2 Sense Motive, +2 Stealth
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Mage Hand, Message, Open/Close
Summoner 1st Level Spells: 2/2 remaining; Mage Armor, Grease
Orisons: Create Water, Guidance, Stabilize
Cleric 1st Level Spells: 3; Enlarge Self*, Bless, Divine Favor
Domain Power: 5/3 remaining; Enlarge self as a swift action for 1 round
Summoner Monster I: 4/4 remaining; std action SLA summon

Toddy ~
Initiative: +2
AC: 14 (12 flat-footed, 12 Touch) (2 Dex, 2 NA, occasionally 4 Mage Armor)
HP: 6 Current HP: 6
CMB: 3 CMD: 15 Fort: +3 Reflex: +4 Will: +0

Natural Weapons:
Bite +3, d6+2 @10' reach; Claw +3, d6+2; Claw +3, d4+2
+14 Acrobatics, +4 Perception, +0 Sense Motive, +2 Stealth, Combat Reflexes[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Gregori draws his longsword and viciously cuts the orc in front of him.

[sblock=OOC]
Move: draw longsword
Standard: attack orc

perrinmiller, I agree we didn't follow the best tactical actions. Gregori is a slow starter and for best effectiveness would take a round or two to reach his pinnacle but he wasn't about to let Halal get swarmed by all the orcs on this side. You're going to have to accept that we're not going to always follow the course of action that is optimal tactically. Lecture all you want (actually, please don't) but that isn't likely to change. Hanging back may be safest but in my experience I've found it is rarely the most fun.[/sblock]
[sblock=Mini Stats]Gregori Ostov (full sheet)
Initiative: +1
AC: 17 (16 flat-footed, 11 Touch) (+2 w/ mutagen)
HP: 17 Current: 6
CMB: +5 CMD: 16 Fort: +3 Reflex: +3 Will: +0

In Hand: longsword
-- longsword +5 (1d8+4 19-20/x2); Power Attack: longsword +4 (1d8+6 19-20/x2)
-- [Str Mutagen] longsword +7 (1d8+6); PA: longsword +6 (1d8+8)
-- Bomb +3 (1d6+1) Range: 20 feet; Splash: 2
-- [Str Mutagen] Bomb +3 (1d6); Splash 1

Bombs 1/2 remaining
Extracts Prepared Cure Light Wounds, Enlarge
Mutagen Prepared Strength[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]An attack on Marshan by either of my orcs will generate one or two AoOs. Between Marshan and Toddy, three AoOs are primed and ready. If Marshan is dropped, a bard behind me can cure light wounds on me, if not, a channel healing burst is coming next for all of us. My large size is providing cover for the bard. Only Toddy can be attacked without generating AoOs, and he is the sacrificial lamb anyways. ;) If we had waited back, they would have simply charged or all skewered the one not wearing armor.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Gregori, help me flank this guy!" Halal punches at the orc injured by Gregori. Seeking to discourage the other orc from trying another grapple he lashes out with his beak again, punching a bloody hole in the orc's other cheek.

[sblock=Actions]Attack (1d20+1=5) vs. Orc attacked by Gregori
Attack (1d20-4=16) & Crit Confirm (1d20-4=9) vs. Orc that tried to grapple Halal (previously damaged by AoO)
Damage (1d3+1=3)[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I wanted Halal to get in an attack while the Orcs were still flat-footed, potentially getting his precision damage. It didn't work out, but he and Gregori are now in position to flank one of the orcs in our group. Later builds should give Halal lots of opportunities to get his sneak damage, but for now he's really got to work to set them up.

As GlassEye said, likely not the best tactical decisions, but he's having fun. I think it's cool that the only weapon he's hit with so far is his beak. Not the best damage weapon in his arsenal, but a good mental image.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Halal Arnyeka
Initiative: +4
AC: 16 (13 Flat-Footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 12/12
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 Fort: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Senses: Low Light Vision
Perception: +8 (+9 vs. Traps), Sense Motive: +7

Current Weapon in Hand: Cestus

Special Abilities: Bleeding Touch (5/5), Judgements (0/1)

Prayers Available Cantrips (At-Will), 1st (2/2)
Orisons: Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Resistance, Sift
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith
[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC] Mowgli are we sure your CMD is 14? I have it at...

CMD: 13 = 10 + 1 [STR] + 2 [DEX] + 0 [BAB] + 0 [MISC]

Nowhere I read says Combat Expertise adds to your CMD it does say it subtracts one from any CMB's you roll (along with attacks).[/sblock]

Remove ads