HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Halal will (eventually) be very focused on initiative, so my concern (which you addressed, pm) would be only that whatever method we do doesn't detract from that usefulness - class features, feats and traits to boost it become a much harder investment in that case.

Averaging initiative (without some arrangements for such characters) 'waters down' the advantage of taking Improved Initiative (and other feats and traits that allow one to act more quickly) as well as that of adding Wisdom mod to initiative roll (which Halal will do at second level).

Another possibility would be to just do initiative in order of highest modifier to lowest without rolling any dice at all (tie goes to the higher DEX, still tied is GM choice).

perrinmiller

Adventurer
The way I do it keeps it being beneficial as long as your goal is to beat the opposition's initiative. That feat gives us all an automatic +1 boost to our average and you still have a better shot of beating all the opposition on you own if our side loses.

If you guys want I can roll all the Initiatives and show you when we start the Orc fight.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Re: GM rolled initiative - I'm in agreement with both the action and the reason. I do prefer to actually see the results of rolls made for me by the GM whenever it won't give me metagame advantage (I like to know how well or how poorly I did). I know . . . this interferes with the GMs ability to fudge, which is a definite drawback!

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION], if you are wanting those in my LPF game, you can ask me in a PM. But I often roll them on my real dice at home so you won't get any url links.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Nah, that's too much trouble for something that's not that big a deal. If you do happen to make the rolls online (and if it's for something where knowing the roll won't give me an advantage) you could post it, but like I said it's just a matter of personal gratification - knowing if my character barely succeeded or blew it out of the water (or barely failed or failed spectacularly) helps me with my mental storyboard ;).

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hey SK wanted to talk about this here and not fill up the CT.

When you enlarge make sure we not the spot you start in so when you shrink back you know where your character starts for movement. I think you have done a great job keeping on it so far.

You said the orc should be one more west in the CT but the cut out of Marshan is for when he reverts back (new he was big till the start of his turn but he goes before the orc). I will start putting a dot into the corner that your character grew from to also keep tabs. As shown below.

Thanks

HM

Attachments

• spot for enlarged.jpg
    spot for enlarged.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 83

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I did some rules checking:

This answers my question on splitting the Sleep spell over two rounds, I think. (Core pg186) It costs 2 Standard Actions.
Start/Complete Full-Round Action The "start full-round action" standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can't use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.
This covers the 5ft step after being prone. (Core pg 189)
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance.
This is how they define movement, I think. (Core pg 186)
Move The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step.
Many nonstandard modes of movement are covered under this category, including climbing (up to one-quarter of your speed) and swimming (up to one-quarter of your speed).
Accelerated Climbing

You can climb at half your speed as a move action by accepting a –5 penalty on your Climb check.
Crawling

You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl. A crawling character is considered prone and must take a move action to stand up, provoking an attack of opportunity.
So I think you can 5ft step when you stand up, dismount/mount, open doors, etc... since you don't change your square. In d20, I always interpreted it that if you don't use your move speed, then 5ft step is allowed. Dropping prone to fire guns in one round and then standing up again to shift a square is a common tactic in more modern battlefields (D20 Modern/Future) and I need this clarified as I might plan to use such tactics with Firvin since she can cast ranged touch attack spells while prone.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I did some rules checking:

This answers my question on splitting the Sleep spell over two rounds, I think. (Core pg186) It costs 2 Standard Actions.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't change the consecutive and uninterrupted requirements.

5 ft. step can be taken during another action. However, movement while prone is limited to 5 ft. which may prohibit the ability to take a 5 ft. step during the action of standing up since you are still considered prone until you are up. Still gonna need HM's ruling, I think (though if I were DM I would say no).

Remove ads