HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Good points - My thinking was that if I were in an RL game and rolling behind a screen you wouldn't know what I was rolling. Then I would say "You don't detect any traps." This being oddly different you reverse it - you see the roll but are not sure which one is for the spotting/listening and which is for the searching. And I can still say "You don't detect any traps."

I think if I roll INIT and get the encounter moving people might wish for the brakes to be put on. This way you get about 24 hours notice to look over what is happening and can post any question/comments. I don't wish to start the combat and then have to take back whatever has happened. It's a just in case thing.

Well I am off to work will post up the surprise round tonight.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Maybe this is something simplified in PF compared to 3.5ed. When Searching for traps or secret doors, a player rolls the dice and they have the option to roll again or not, until they are satisfied they searched well enough. So I do not understand why the DM would be rolling that secretly in the first place.

In my opinion all PF did was combine the three skills (Spot, Listen, and Search) together into one. Actual application of the skill checks for those things appears to be unchanged.

But I am not the rogue so...

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I guess I've always thought of GM rolls as a way to 1) prevent metagaming and 2) preserve the 'immersion factor.'

1) If I'm searching and I know what I rolled, it can give me as a player knowledge that my character wouldn't have - if my perception check is a 28 and I find nothing, I'm certain there's nothing there, but as far as Halál knows he might have missed something. I trust my players not to metagame, so I'll post links to my Invisible Castle rolls in case they're curious, but I don't 'force' the knowledge on them by putting the rolls in the post.

2) Removing mechanics to behind the curtain emphasizes the story over the dice rolls. This is another reason why when I GM I link to the dice rolls in the descriptive text but don't include the rolls in the post. Those that are curious can always check what I rolled if they wish, but if this would reduce their immersion they're free to just go with it.

All that being said, I'm just as happy to have HM roll Perception checks for Halál when the situation warrants, and assume he's taking 10 unless he specifies that he's actively searching for traps or taking 20.

As far as initiative checks, I'm OK with you rolling and posting those as well, HM - just because you rolled for initiative doesn't mean we have to engage. And it could save an entire day (or more) in RL time.

GlassEye

Adventurer
My issue seems to be somewhat different than what everyone else is discussing. I don't mind the DM making certain rolls for me but I don't really care for the DM taking my charcter and having him act and speak when relaying that information to me. Give me the information in an sblock and let me decide how I relate that information (if everyone doesn't get the same info that is). Does that slow things down? Yes, but this is one concession for speed that takes away from roleplaying because I don't get to do any. The DM has a whole world to manipulate, please, leave me my single mode of interaction.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
HA HA!! Mowgli I always press those links and not cause I want to know for sure or see what your rolling. It's just a button and must be pushed. :p

Noted GE I do have reservations (every time I post in character for a PC), and I don't think the group here will post to slow. My thing was getting a link post for the runes to refer back to. Getting all the info in one post instead of "playing out" the searching of them, which could happen over several posts and take a week or more to boot.

Always remember I will give the relevant info in the link post and let you know that there is more to be found later.

What else...? Oh I will use the spoilers for info - I need a time limit to wait for (re)posting it to the others. What does everyone think 36-48 hours? That to account for the time difference. After two days I will post up the info (probably never on the weekends though) via the player, if not already done so.

perrinmiller you could make all the rolls you wish if you wish to search an area, but you only get one shot at beating a creature's stealth roll. (NOTE: The group is only as quiet as it's quietest member. So unless you are away from the party I would say sneaking isn't for the group.) But if you encounter a room and don't wish to take the time to take 20 in searching than you can roll as much as you like. Just let me know when you are done. ;)

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
A couple things -

First a 24 hour (probably less) bump to get Mowgli to post an action, please. I will advance the thread tonight regardless, but I have reservations about taking any action as there are so many to chose from. LOL - Maybe when I know that character a little better.

And I just did your XP add on and guess what - Your all still first lvl. :p

Ah but that isn't the news the news is you are 550XP from 2nd and according to my Additional XP rule you will be getting 500xp at the end of this month (it will be the sixth since we started). Add on the XP for this swarm and you all will be 2nd lvl no matter what else happens (um... save death). So an early congrats on that.

And to make the transition smooth maybe have your level ups worked out and ready so all you need do is add them in on Oct 1.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Man, we are advancing so sloooooooooooow. But still, if we make 2nd level in 6 months that is something. Though, my PbP players in 3.5ed are just making 4th level after starting in the beginning of last summer. They are not getting any time based awards like LPF, but I think they are moving a bit faster than we are.

Of course, things will pick up with more combats. :)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
OK, dumb question. I thought Channel Positive Energy would heal Eidolons.

In Scourge of the Howling Horde when GE's Agno did it, I looked it up and did not find where it doesn't work.

Satin Knights

First Post
Toddy is fully healed up by the channel positive energy. Normal summoner's eidolons can be healed with channels and cure light wounds spells just fine. It is only the synthesist that needs the special healing spells of the Rejuvenate Eidolon chain or the new Life Conduit chain in Ultimate Combat.

GlassEye

Adventurer
OK, dumb question. I thought Channel Positive Energy would heal Eidolons.

In Scourge of the Howling Horde when GE's Agno did it, I looked it up and did not find where it doesn't work.

That actually threw me off when it happened. I guess the existence of a specialized spell to heal eidolons made me think that that was the only way they could be healed. So I looked it up and, like you, the only thing I could find was the sentence that states they don't heal naturally.

Remove ads