• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobgoblins Ain't Got Nothin': A REALLY LONG Playtest Report

Gold Roger

First Post
I think that is because there are more than one entrance so you can face multiple different encounter difficulties.
Orcs are tough (but few), kobolds are easy (but multiple), and hobgoblins are in between.

That's definitely a part of it. But I've seen very different reports where groups took the same entrance.

One big part of it to me, is that the module leaves a lot of stuff up to the DM. For some that might be a fault, but after digging in, I enjoy seeing how much I can adjust it to my own DMing style without any real work.

soulcatcher78

First Post
Limited visibility due to lighting conditions can be solved by casting light on a small light object (sling stone, coin, etc) and giving it a good toss (bright light for 20' radius and dimming from there). Downside is letting everyone down the hall know you're coming but at least you'll see what's going on.

KesselZero

First Post
Limited visibility due to lighting conditions can be solved by casting light on a small light object (sling stone, coin, etc) and giving it a good toss (bright light for 20' radius and dimming from there). Downside is letting everyone down the hall know you're coming but at least you'll see what's going on.

The downside to the Light spell is that it can only be cast on one object at a time (casting it again dispels the first casting). Your point still stands, though, especially on those corridors that turns out to be dead ends another ten feet down!

Agamon

Adventurer
That's definitely a part of it. But I've seen very different reports where groups took the same entrance.

One big part of it to me, is that the module leaves a lot of stuff up to the DM. For some that might be a fault, but after digging in, I enjoy seeing how much I can adjust it to my own DMing style without any real work.

Only a fault if overdone, in my opinion. KotB and Secret of Bone Hill are ideal. B1 (In Search of the Unknown) straddles the line. Undermountain laughably blows past the line and flies off into the distance. :)

Remove ads