• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew City - Thorian's Gate, please comment

Xendria

First Post
Just glanced it quick, but that looks amazing. How did you make those maps? I've been trying to find something to build large cities with but everything seems to fall short.

tahsin

First Post
I had a cartographer do them. I believe he uses PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc. He's listed right above the map.

The scrolling map technology is Seadragon developed by Microsoft using Silverlight. As much as I am not interested in promoting Microsoft, this app in particular is pretty cool. It's available for anyone at Seadragon.com

Xendria

First Post
The cartographer is incredibly skilled. Did you describe a basic design or give sketches? Just curious cause I would love to have him do a map for my setting.

arsheeesh

First Post
Sorry to cut in, but as a member of the Cartographer's Guild I thought I'd throw in a plug for the Guild. The cartographer who did this map is named Sapiento at the Guild. He is one of the more talented members, and does allot of commissions.

There are allot of other talented cartographers at the guild who take commissions as well, but I would encourage anyone interested in creating their own maps to visit the site, as there are literally hundreds of tutorials on map-creation, and really helpful discussions on mapping software.

OK, end of plug. Regarding this city Tahsin, I have just casually skimmed the details but it looks really well fleshed out. I intend to go over it a bit more thoroughly however so that I can offer you some feedback.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

arsheeesh

First Post
Wow Tahsin! I've just been browsing through your Pathfinder Database Homebrew campaign and I am really impressed with the amount of detail that you have invested into this world! World building can be a fun and rewarding, though somewhat lonely endeavor, and I just want to say kudos to you for putting this much effort into your world.

Question, are you currently running any campaigns in this world? If so, do you have a website (e.g. Obsidian Portal) that describes your current campaign? I'd love to take a peek at it if so.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

tahsin

First Post
Wow Tahsin! I've just been browsing through your Pathfinder Database Homebrew campaign and I am really impressed with the amount of detail that you have invested into this world! World building can be a fun and rewarding, though somewhat lonely endeavor, and I just want to say kudos to you for putting this much effort into your world.

Question, are you currently running any campaigns in this world? If so, do you have a website (e.g. Obsidian Portal) that describes your current campaign? I'd love to take a peek at it if so.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Many thanks Arsheesh! I actually thought this thread was dead and now I'm just glancing back I see the many comments. Thanks to all.

I initially described the size of the city, it's role, and I had about 50% of the content that's on the page right now, just a description of city districts. He took that as a start, we then revised and revised together.

We're currently playing one-offs and small campaigns in this world to get a feel for it, maybe start a longer campaign later.

Remove ads