• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew Giant Elites

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Hill giant chief made me think of Willie from Mickey and the Beanstalk - good work:)

do these guys need some lair actions?

Hey, thanks for bringing this back up, I've got some time to actually work on these, since of course I can't really go anywhere once I get off of work (at home). So I've got the stats done for the Storm Giant King. While doing so, I realized I had made some errors in CR calculations with the Storm Giant Stalker (forgetting to take immunities into account when calculating the defensive challenge rating), so I've edited that entry to correct the issue (and when it comes to immunities, going from CR 16 to 17 changes things a lot, and I had to keep fiddling with it to get the CR to fall around where I wanted it to!).

Storm Giant King

The Ordning defines every facet of giant society, and the place of each giant with in it. From the base ogres, trolls, and other giant-kin, whose lowly existence lies below that of even the wretched hill giants, through the various types of true giants, to the storm giants who occupy the top tier of the system, the Ordning determines the status of each and every giant in existence. And at the very apex of this social structure, above all others of their kind, lie the storm giant kings and queens.
Powerful But Rare Rulers
In the current age, giants are rare, and storm giants even more so. With such a small population, there are very few indeed who rise to the rank of king or queen - and this may be a good thing for the rest of the world as a whole. When they are blessed by Stronmaus with the title (which is usually passed in a hereditary manner from generation to generation, although the Stormlord has been known, through the omens storm giants obsess over, to disrupt this custom should an heir be incompetent or overshadowed by an obviously better candidate), they are granted monumental power, rivaling that of the strongest dragons and extra-planar creatures. Given their mercurial temperaments, an unhappy or enraged storm giant king or queen could wreak havoc on entire region should the monarch wish. Thankfully, they tend to both wise and slow to anger, and will, for the most part, make sure the omens are in agreement before they would take any such violent action, although exceptions can, and periodically, do occur.
Isolated Monarchs
Storm giant kings and queens tend to live in isolated areas, such as deep in the seas or on rugged, stormy peaks. They usually reside in fairly small (for giants) complexes, usually only with their immediate family and a few retainers. However, these palaces are quite sumptuously furnished and decorated, with the craftsmanship of giants lower in the Ordning (given either through taxes, light coercion, or gifts – usually to avoid the previous two) on conspicuous display. Although they tend to be somewhat isolated from others of their kind, all giants, especially storm giants, living for hundreds of miles around know who their local storm giant king or queen is, and where they reside. For the most part, the handful of storm giant kings and queens in the world live quite distant from each other, but sometimes meetings, either planned or through happenstance, do take place. When these occur, the inevitable and necessary attempts to determine who lies higher in the Ordning will usually result in quite intense discussions – and, sometimes, outright physical confrontation. Should things not reach a complete breaking point, however, the omen-readers and the monarchs involved will eventually be able to determine who is superior to whom. But those who sit at the top of the social hierarchy over thousands of their kind for hundreds of miles around most certainly do not enjoy the possibility of suddenly being subordinate to another, even for a brief time; and those who were determined to be lower in the Ordning will tend to sulk and be childishly obstructive in the resulting discussions. The thought of what would happen should there be a general summit of most or all storm giant kings and queens on the planet makes most storm giants shudder, and, thus, any such meeting is almost certain to never occur unless under the most dire of circumstances, or on the direct command of the gods themselves. Thus it is unlikely that the ultimate expression of the Ordning, the election of a sole giant emperor to rule over all giantkind, will ever happen.
Paragons of Lightning
As stated before, storm giant kings and queens posses immense powers, granted to them by Stronmaus himself when raised to their station. The very air around them crackles with electricity, and any who get near them, or, even worse, dares attack them with a weapon in melee, risk being shocked by this aura. Moreover, the Sky Father has granted them the power to periodically transform their bodies into a great bolt of lightning, instantaneously moving great distances and smiting any who lies in their path. Thus a storm giant king can move from one side of a battlefield to another, evading particularly irksome foes and reappearing in unexpected locations. And such abilities are above and beyond their natural great strength and power, which only the eldest of dragons and the powers of the planes could hope to match.

Storm Giant King
Huge giant (storm giant), chaotic good

Armor Class 18 (Plate)
Hit Points 300 (24d12 + 144)
Speed 50 ft., swim 50 ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 22 (+6) CON 22 (+6) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Str +16, Con +12, Wis +10, Cha +11
Skills Arcana +9 , Athletics +16, History +9, Perception +10
Damage Resistances Cold
Damage Immunities Lightning, Thunder
Senses passive Perception 20
Languages Common, Giant
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Amphibious. The giant can breathe air and water.

Innate Spellcasting. The giant's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: detect magic, feather fall, levitate, light, lightning bolt, thunderwave
3/day each: control weather, water breathing

Lightning Aura. The giant is surrounded by an aura of electricity. A creature that touches the giant or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 7 (2d6) lightning damage. A bolt then leaps from that creature to another creature within 30 feet of the first target, other than the giant itself. The second creature must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, or also take 7 (2d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two greatsword attacks.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d6 + 10) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) lightning damage and 3 (1d6) thunder damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (4d12 + 10) bludgeoning damage.

Lightning Form (Recharge 5–6). The giant transforms itself into a 10 foot wide line of lightning, ending at an unoccupied spot within 100 feet that the giant can see, where the giant then re-forms into its regular form. Each creature within the line must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 54 (12d8) lightning damage and being knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Hey, thanks for bringing this back up, I've got some time to actually work on these, since of course I can't really go anywhere once I get off of work (at home). So I've got the stats done for the Storm Giant King. While doing so, I realized I had made some errors in CR calculations with the Storm Giant Stalker (forgetting to take immunities into account when calculating the defensive challenge rating), so I've edited that entry to correct the issue (and when it comes to immunities, going from CR 16 to 17 changes things a lot, and I had to keep fiddling with it to get the CR to fall around where I wanted it to!). I'll go ahead and post the stats for the Storm Giant King, and fill in the lore part in the near future.

Storm Giant King
Huge giant (storm giant), chaotic good

Armor Class 18 (Plate)
Hit Points 300 (24d12 + 144)
Speed 50 ft., swim 50 ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 22 (+6) CON 22 (+6) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Str +16, Con +12, Wis +10, Cha +11
Skills Arcana +9 , Athletics +16, History +9, Perception +10
Damage Resistances Cold
Damage Immunities Lightning, Thunder
Senses passive Perception 20
Languages Common, Giant
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Amphibious. The giant can breathe air and water.

Innate Spellcasting. The giant's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: detect magic, feather fall, levitate, light, lightning bolt, thunderwave
3/day each: control weather, water breathing

Lightning Aura. The giant is surrounded by an aura of electricity. A creature that touches the giant or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 7 (2d6) lightning damage. A bolt then leaps from that creature to another creature within 30 feet of the first target, other than the giant itself. The second creature must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, or also take 7 (2d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two greatsword attacks.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d6 + 10) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) lightning damage and 3 (1d6) thunder damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (4d12 + 10) bludgeoning damage.

Lightning Form (Recharge 5–6). The giant transforms itself into a 10 foot wide line of lightning, ending at an unoccupied spot within 100 feet that the giant can see, where the giant then re-forms into its regular form. Each creature within the line must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, taking 54 (12d8) lightning damage and being knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
I really like lightning form, and I am glade to see you come back to these.

Added the flavor text for the Storm Giant King. May still tinker with it a bit - thinking about adding a few Battlemaster maneuvers since most of these, as you can probably tell, have an underlying class base.

As I mentioned before in this thread, perhaps I might create one final creature for this thread - the Giant Emperor, an almost-mythical office that hasn't been filled since the fall of Ostoria, and whose rise might herald the return of giants to power and likely cataclysmic wars with dragonkind. Any opinions?

Last edited:

Hill giant chief made me think of Willie from Mickey and the Beanstalk - good work:)

do these guys need some lair actions?

Feel free to make suggestions! I guess by this point I'm pretty good at making run-of-the-mill stat blocks, but lair and legendary actions are something I've not quite gotten a handle on yet.

Remove ads