• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endur

First Post
House Millithor in City of the Spider Queen
8 PCs in a Campaign in the Underdark (loosely based on the WOTC adventure City of the Spider Queen)

House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen

The following characters are based on the Menzoberranzan boxed set:

Matron Mother Ki’Willis Millithor, Priestess of Lolth (Yasarra)

Narcelia Millithor, Elder Daughter, Priestess of Lolth (Radiant)

Carcelen Millithor, Second Daughter, Priestess of Lolth (Pyrex)

Krecil Treak, House Patron, Rogue/Wizard (Raurth Snowfang)

Marckarius Millithor, Elderboy, Warrior (Whiner Knight)

Torrellan Millithor, Secondboy, Warrior/Wizard (Calim)

Quertus Millithor, House Wizard (Xael)

Dariel Kront’tane, Adopted Son, Warrior (Thels)

The OOC and Character Creation thread is here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53525

The IC thread the House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen in the playing the game forum is here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54053

For character background and the character sheets, see the House Millithor in the City of the Spider Queen thread in the Rogues Gallery forum

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53660

House Millithor
Although not on the ruling council of Menzoberanzan, many considered House Millithor an up and coming house under the leadership of Matron Mother Ki'Willis Millithor.

A century ago, Matron Baenre formed a secret alliance with Matron Ki'Willis. Ki'Willis agreed to be the public organizer for a merchant company that would do business with the Drow city of Maerimydra, but House Baenre would provide the majority of the funding and would make all of the decisions. Their contact in Maerimydra was House Morcane. L'Tar'annen de’l Elgluth (translated: Company of the Whip) was a great success. Their caravans have a wide range of trading goods including slaves, livestock, fruit, shellfish, mushrooms, art, weapons, and other valuables.

The profits were so great that House Millithor was able to afford to be one of the only three houses in Menzoberanzan to maintain a slave unit of War Trolls. Black trolls that are armored, smarter, stronger, and tougher than normal trolls.

All was going well, even after the death of Matron Baenre in a foolhardy assault on Mithril Hall. Until Lolth's Silence.

At first, the Priestesses of each house thought that Lolth was refusing to answer their prayers because they had fallen into disfavor. Every house doubled its guards and increased their sacrifices. But when Lolth refused to respond to the increased sacrifices in any way at all, and when they noticed other houses following the same behavior, the Priestesses soon realized that the problem affected all of the houses in Menzoberanzan. In an attempt to avoid exposing their vulnerability, the Ruling Council swore every Priestess to silence.

For over a month, the Priestesses attempted to keep Lolth's silence a secret. The male members of the House knew that the Priestesses were in a foul mood, but other than that, they had no idea what was wrong.

Ironically, House Millithor was in a stronger military position than ever. Without divine spellcasting being available, the War Trolls made the House nearly a match for some of the lower ranking houses on the Ruling Council.

Then disaster struck. The house slaves rebelled. Somehow they knew that Lolth had abandoned Menzoberanzan. Treacherous Bugbears unlocked the Troll Pens. And the War Trolls slaughtered anyone in their path.

Of the almost 300 Drow members of House Millithor, half were dead in the first few minutes of the War Troll Rampage.

The besiged nobles attempted to summon help from other houses, but the revolt had spread throughout Menzoberanzan. The rebels knew of the Silence of the Spider Queen and had organized a revolt. The city was in flames.

Finally, when nearly the entire house had been slaughtered by the rebels, Matron Ki'Willis Millithor called for a retreat and opened a secret portal into the Underdark. The surviving nobles fled through the portal while the weaponmaster Valence Kun held the hallway against the war trolls.

After recovering from the disorientation of passing through the portal, the characters see a rough, natural looking crevice. Ahead the crevice appears to widen into a web-filled canyon. There are several tunnels leading out of the web-filled canyon.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Looking Around

Looking out of the crevice, you see a large cavern filled with webs. The cavern extends several hundred feet in either direction and is about 100’ wide and 100’ high. The web is anchored from stalagmites protruding from the ground and stalactites extending from the ceiling. The webs appear fairly large, and look strong enough to restrain a humanoid creature.

You notice other crevices in the walls and the floors of the cavern.

Looking at the web, you notice small bundles attached to the web, perhaps gnomes or goblins that have become trapped. Most of the bundles appear desiccated, as if the bundle is just a corpse that has already been eaten.

Dariel, Marckarius, and Narcelia notice a few bundles that do not appear desiccated, as if the occupants may still be alive.

Dariel notices a large mound on the ceiling over one of the still living bundles next to a stalactite about 50 feet to your left. The mound looks a lot like a Gargantuan spider lurking in its web.

Raurth Snowfang

First Post
Where are we?

Krecil Treak, Patron of House Millithor, cleans his rapiers and returns them to his belt. A look of concern briefly flashes across his startingly handsome face, but is hidden before any of the others can notice it. He brushes his long white hair away from his eyes as he scans the area, paying particular attention to the web above. His dark eyes carefully take note of the giant web and dart back and forth, looking for danger above. Holy creatures or not if a spider that size came towards him he vowed he would not end up like the diseccted corpses hanging above them.

"Where are we?"

He looks at the rest of the surviving family, grateful that the swordmaster Valence Kun didn't make it. He wouldn't want to have to deal with that one down here. His eyes briefly light upon Ki'Willis, Matron Ki'Willis, did she look different? Or just weakened from the fighting? He looks away before anyone can notice his gazing, she was still beautiful.

( ooc: i call shotgun on Teal as my typing colour :))

Last edited:

Xael

First Post
Quertus looks around him, the few survivors from the carnage and the horde of webs hanging around. He especially eyes the webs above them, as he had no intention to be eaten by whatever had built the nice trap of death.

"And more importantly, what are we going to do, Matron Mother", he says, making a slight bow if matron decided to look in his direction. After that his attention turned to his black robes, with random patterns inscribed in gold and silver to the sleeves and the edges of the fabric. Forgetting about the webs and the possible death lurking above, Quertus proceeded to wipe dust off his robes.

Yes, exactly. What are we going to? Has matron Ki'Willis even though about that? Has anybody though about that? Let's just hope that this is one of her perfectly planned backup plans. If not, we're so screwed. Oh, but we're screwed anyway...

Let's see: The whole house is dead. Period. My comfortable home is probably overrun by trolls, and they're probably eating all the precious stuff I had to leave behind. Goddamnit. Someone is going to pay for this. Someone. Just don't have any idea who. Goddamnit. Focus, focus. Focus on what? Survival? Getting out of here? Where? Think, think. Yes, now I know. No, wait. I can't teleport. Goddamnit...

OOC: I claim Silver as my color.

Last edited:

Thels

First Post
Dariel glances around, taking count of his fellow refugees. After noticing that those he cares about are still alive, he let's go a sigh of relieve before regaining his guard. Still holding his swords, Dariel looks back and forth from the portal to the canyon, especially making sure the mound stays put.

We're in enough trouble as it is right now. We really don't need something else adding up to the pile. What is this place anyhow? A shiver runs over Dariel's back.

Keeping his eyes and ears open, Dariels mind wanders back to the events earlier today, the chaos that made him lose his home for the second time in his life. Damn those slaves! How dare they even thinking about standing up against the glory of the Drow? A grimas settles on his face.

Dariel tries to forget for now, focussing back on the situation at hand. Refraining from adding questions, Dariel curiously awaits Mother Millithors reply, hoping she has some kind of plan.

Last edited:

Yasarra

First Post
OOC: It's crimson for the Matron Mother.

IC: A small smile touched the Matron's lips at her patron's question, "Where are we, abbil? Safe, at least, for now." She then turned her attention to the questioning mage, "A little faith, Quertus. I would not have been Matron for half so long if I did not think ahead." Ki'Willis' voice was as smooth as silk in spite of the tired look in her eyes. Yes, of course she had a plan. "But first, an explanation, and this I would have all of you hear."

Pausing, she waited for the remaining nobles of Qu'ellar Millithor to gather. "My children, my patron, and our esteemed house wizard...We are in the midst of the ultimate test of both our faith and of our strength. Indeed, all of Menzoberranzan is steeped in it." Her head turned so that she could look upon each member of the house as she spoke, "Xas (yes), it is true. Lloth has fallen silent in Menzoberranzan. Not one priestess, from Matron Baenre to the lowest initiate can contact the goddess or her servants. But, as I have said...it is a test."

She paused, searching faces for panic, or any sign of what she might deem as heretical. Faith in Lloth must be absolute, especially at this most trying of moments. "It is a test that we shall succeed in and perhaps even prosper. As you know, we have interests outside of our fair city. L'Tar'annen De'l Elgluth, The Company of the Coiled Whip, we hold 1/4 interest in, and it is this which we will draw strength from. I also have reserved a bit of wealth where the xsaus (d***ed) trolls will not find it." Saying this, a small smile crept to her lips as she placed a hand over her mithral and adamantine covered heart.

She carefully explained that this portal had existed, known only to Matrons of the house, for generations, and that they were a safe distance outside of Menzoberranzan. "From here, we go to Mentol Derith. There, we can send a message to the company house, join a trade caravan and make a small trip to inspect our holdings in Maerimydra and arrange a possible meeting with House Morcane. We might even receive word on the situation in Menzoberranzan before we leave."

Pausing, she watched the faces of the surviving nobles carefully. "It is of the utmost importance that we maintain our faith in the Queen of the Demonweb Pits. If we had truly fallen from favor, not one of us would be alive now. This is a test of our strength and our faith. Can we survive without her aid for a period of time and still maintain our beliefs? None of you have ever given me any reason to doubt. In the end, or faith and strength will bring us a rise in station, I promise you, but for now, we must prove to the goddess that we are worthy of ascendence in the ranks of Menzoberranzan. This will require strength of mind, body and spirit. We are Qu'ellar Millithor, and we will not fail."

Pyrex

First Post
Carcelon looks around, trying to find familiar landmarks to determine how deep in the Underdark the portal dropped us all off.

"Mackarius! Torellan! Watch the portal and make sure nothing else comes through. Dariel! Scout around and make sure the area is clear".

*turns away from the males & toward the Matron Mother*

<DrowSign>
"This attack could not have just been a random slave uprising, it was too well coordinated. I recommend we locate a secure area and find those responsible."
</DrowSign>

Thels

First Post
A test? To whom? House Millithor? The ladies of House Millithor? The inhabitants of Menzoberanzan? All the Drow? Dariel is startled as Carcelon interrupts his thoughts, causing him to focus on the situation at hand.

Scouting? There? With that Spider beast around? Another shiver runs across his back. He patiently waits for Carcelon to make her message and then released a little cough, trying to draw attention.

With a humble voice he notes: "Milady, what about the spiderlike creature?", as he points towards the ceiling of the canyon.

Yasarra

First Post
The Matron nodded. Her terribly nervous, adopted son was, to say the least, cautious. "The spider-like creature you refer to is nothing more than a spider, sacred to Lloth as all spiders are, and meant to be left unharmed. You needn't worry. It has been trained to not attack drow. If anything, should those trolls come through that portal, the spider will aid in our escape by attacking them."

Xael

First Post
Only a slight look of surprise can be seen at Quertus's face as he is revealed the disappearance of their goddess. "Yes of course, a test it is, Matron Mother. But might I inquire about more pressing matters? I certainly expect that the portal isn't permanent. How long is it going to be open?"

A test? Well, it could be one, in theory. It also could not be. But what else could it be? Certainly the death of Lloth (probably impossible) would have caused even more ruckus. A test or coincidence, and when she comes back, it probably doesn't matter. If you have taken it as a test it is. And that is all that matters.

Quertus's glanced at Dariel when he mentions the spiderlike creature, and then tries to spot it. I knew it. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes though. He can only hope that the spider remembers that it's been taught not to eat drow. And what could one spider do to a horde of trolls that just slaughtered almost a whole drow house? No, wait. I don't even want to know...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads