D&D 5E How Dark is Your D&D Preference?

Zardnaar

Legend
If you are going to have The Evil One leading an Empire of Evil, it has to be dark there, and its reputation must have spread. The Empire need not - probably should not* - be "everywhere known".
In my campaign world, the metaplot is often 'pushing back against the Darkness, making bigger (or new) places for Light'.

* despite the success of the original Star Wars trilogy

If evil is everywhere (or functionally everywhere) the campaign can work it just changes tone (assuming the PCs want to oppose it). Darksun is like this I suppose.

Afrodactyl

First Post
My group generally does things reasonably dark during campaigns, with pockets of silly and light-hearted dotted about. Even when things are bleak and miserable you've got to have a good time at some point. I'd say more serious than truly dark, but it's dark when required.

We generally keep one shots more jolly and silly, but occasionally we'll have a darker one.

However my homebrew universe is similar to the Warhammer one, in that life is miserable, there's war all the time, the place is rife with disease, famine and poverty (ruling classes are wealthy and all that), and there's a constant "end of days" vibe going on; hence the need for bands of adventurer's to spring up every few months.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] Imho Darksun is rather "dark" because it is so gritty. It is not necessary evil all the time, of course an abundance of evil also exists in DS, but it is often survival, aka who eats who, and who gets his share of water and who not.

Zardnaar

Legend
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] Imho Darksun is rather "dark" because it is so gritty. It is not necessary evil all the time, of course an abundance of evil also exists in DS, but it is often survival, aka who eats who, and who gets his share of water and who not.

Once again I like DS;).

KenNYC

Explorer
I play characters extra dark or extra light. My favorite to play are genuinely nice guys, but I played an evil rogue who killed someone and told the dying NPC the sound of his breaking bones was making him excited. (if you get my point) My nice guy character is the saintliest paladin who ever lived who believes serving his fellow man is the highest calling in life, so he thinks nothing of cooking you breakfast before heading into battle, and he will always try and take the lead in a fight so you don't get hurt. And if you use foul language in front of him you might get a stern talking to!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
First met -Dark Sun in 2e-, never got a chance to play any other version!

I looked at the 2e products in original run but did not buy any (in 20/20 hindsight my mistake). I played DS in 4e and enjoyed it greatly.
IMntbHO the two Dark Sun hardcovers were among 4e's best releases; they are on my 'future Christmas presents to myself' list.

Oofta

Legend
I was going to answer "not very dark at all" but it really depends on the campaign. I've had campaigns where the BBEG had won and the world was dying as the BBEG stole all energy, including the light of the sun. I've had campaigns where Ragnarok (end of the world) was in process, and people struggled to survive in the ruins of a few destroyed cities. In another they were trapped on a prison island run by vampires and undead where people were kept alive only as livestock.

But I don't go truly dark. I don't allow evil characters as a personal preference and even in my dying world campaign (eventually reversed via time travel/alternate universe shenanigans because Loki wanted his revenge which ultimately led to the Ragnarok campaign) there was always hope, a chance no matter how slim that the PCs could win the day.

So truly dark, everyone is doomed, there's no hope ... nope. Not my style. Gloomy with only a glimmer of hope? Sure.

Remove ads