• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did Trek Become Such a Phenomenon?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
She's a nice kid. I think her husband was a little shocked by these as well.
So now I know what to bring to movie night... ...for the next few months.

Janx

Hero
I've never heard of the term "Bronie" before this post.

A Bronie is a guy who's really into My Little Pony.

The world's a big place. There's a lot of things to see and hear. Though it surprises me to meet somebody who hasn't seen Star Wars or Star Trek, it's not impossible for someone to have not seen it.

I'm not wholly sure if lack of knowledge about a pop culture reference is a true indicator of "messed up home school kid" or just didn't see that film.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm not wholly sure if lack of knowledge about a pop culture reference is a true indicator of "messed up home school kid" or just didn't see that film.

When it comes to cultural footprint, it's hard to see either Star Trek or Star Wars as being another case of "just didn't see that film." That sort of thing applies to movies like Mean Girls, My Cousin Vinnie, or Turbo. It's like comparing the Harry Potter series of books to a single juvenile novel that sold an average number of copies.

That said, there is an ebb and flow for these things. Star Wars was primarily a videotape and toy phenomenon between 1984 and 1997. That's approximately a generation of kids who didn't have a chance of seeing the movies on the big screen. And for Star Trek, I can see a longer span for kids who didn't grow up with a decent local TV station playing syndicated Star Trek series and reruns in a decent (not late at night) time slot.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Making the communicators into the badges may have saved a ton of the props budget for Next Gen, but I really think they missed out of the toy revenue possibilities.

MarkB

Legend
Making the communicators into the badges may have saved a ton of the props budget for Next Gen, but I really think they missed out of the toy revenue possibilities.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity back in the 90s, when flip-phones were at their most popular, that none of the major manufacturers did a deal and brought out one in the shape of a classic Star Trek communicator.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I always thought it was a missed opportunity back in the 90s, when flip-phones were at their most popular, that none of the major manufacturers did a deal and brought out one in the shape of a classic Star Trek communicator.

Me too - the design of mobile phones is always credited to communicators but just seems odd that no company decided to bring one out that was exactly the same. May be the licensing fees were just too high. I was going to say it could still happen but now phones have moved on to be touch screen phone/camera/music system/email/web access devices - the boat has probably sailed on this one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads