• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did Trek Become Such a Phenomenon?

MarkB

Legend
A couple of prototypes were made for JJA Trek, but weren't considered sufficiently advanced for consumers demands.

Yeah, by that point they'd definitely missed the boat. What would work at this point is smartphone cases (I have a leather one with a Communicator-style vertical-flip front, and I hadn't even noticed the similarity until right now - it'd be easy to make one in plastic and metal with a similar form-factor and Trek-style detailing) combined with a set of free screen customisations and sound effects.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Huge elaborate Trek reference on Breaking Bad!

Though they did mispronounce and misattribute "tulaberry" (intentionally, one imagines).

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yeah, by that point they'd definitely missed the boat. What would work at this point is smartphone cases (I have a leather one with a Communicator-style vertical-flip front, and I hadn't even noticed the similarity until right now - it'd be easy to make one in plastic and metal with a similar form-factor and Trek-style detailing) combined with a set of free screen customisations and sound effects.
Yeah, that would have to be the way to go at this point. "way too big"? I don't know about that--my Droid isn't that much bigger, and it is a lot thinner.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that would have to be the way to go at this point. "way too big"? I don't know about that--my Droid isn't that much bigger, and it is a lot thinner.

A classic Trek communicator is about 4" x 2.5" when closed - almost exactly the size of my Samsung Array dumbphone. The Droid DNA (picked at random as a smartphone) is closer to 5.5" x 3".

An inch or two either way may not seem like much, until you put it in the palm of your hand. My opinion, of course. But I think putting that flip top on a common smartphone build would look really stupidly big.

The prototype for the Nokia Trek Communicator, btw: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/nokia-star-trek-communicator-is-simply-awesome-sadly-just-a-pro/

Janx

Hero
A classic Trek communicator is about 4" x 2.5" when closed - almost exactly the size of my Samsung Array dumbphone. The Droid DNA (picked at random as a smartphone) is closer to 5.5" x 3".

An inch or two either way may not seem like much, until you put it in the palm of your hand. My opinion, of course. But I think putting that flip top on a common smartphone build would look really stupidly big.

I disagree.

We already buy $600-$800 smart phones (discounted by contracts) and then buy $20-$50 clunky cases to protect them

It seems relatively trivial considering the added bulk of the best ones (otterboxes, etc) that less protective, more showy case could have been designed.

Considering the JJA Communicator was basically a smart phone with a flip cover.

Or just as much fun, ThinkGeek has a Communicator toy that makes noise. If they were smarter, they'd put a Bluetooth chip in and it would act as a the handset for a cellphone via Bluetooth.

MarkB

Legend

An inch or two either way may not seem like much, until you put it in the palm of your hand.

Most of us have never put a Star Trek communicator in the palm of our hand, so there's no tactile basis for comparison. And my Galaxy S-II doesn't look stupidly big in comparison as I hold it now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Most of us have never put a Star Trek communicator in the palm of our hand, so there's no tactile basis for comparison.

Anyone who would buy the thing has seen one of these images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kir...uOpa54AOs6IHIBA&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

The Trek communicator really is small - about 10 square inches on that major surface. The smartphone I noted above is 16.5 square inches, half again as large! And remember that that antenna grill is going to nearly double the surface area of the phone when open.

I'm sorry, but the ship has sailed. The advent of smartphones has driven a stake in the heart of the flip phone form factor.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Funny how quickly these things change. It wasn't all that long ago that I was dying for my cellphone company to start supporting the Motorolla Razr that I wanted so badly.

Janx

Hero
Anyone who would buy the thing has seen one of these images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kir...uOpa54AOs6IHIBA&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

The Trek communicator really is small - about 10 square inches on that major surface. The smartphone I noted above is 16.5 square inches, half again as large! And remember that that antenna grill is going to nearly double the surface area of the phone when open.

I'm sorry, but the ship has sailed. The advent of smartphones has driven a stake in the heart of the flip phone form factor.

Those are old pics.

Check this out from GIS:
tumblr_mmcqu5UROo1qz82gvo1_1280.jpg

The JJA Communicator from Into Darkness has a form factor like an iPhone with a flip top

Any vendor making cases for smart phones could license and be all over that.

Instead, we get this:
e78c_star_trek_iphone_cases.jpg

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads