• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did Trek Become Such a Phenomenon?

Orius

Legend
I would be more interested in starting a potential TNG fan on season 3 and then, after they say they like it, consider showing them "Encounter at Farpoint". TNG is lucky it survived that episode, it was so terrible. Still is.

Maybe, but you need "Encounter at Farpoint" to understand the Q episodes, and you need to watch the Q episode that introduces the Borg before "Best of Both Worlds", and BoBW is definitely something that anyone interested in Star Trek needs to watch.

Right, "Q Who" is one of the three episodes I mentioned from the first two seasons. It introduced the Borg, and it's one of the episodes where the Borg really are a genuine menace. It's also one of the good Q episodes as well. "Farpoint" isn't too bad on its own, it's useful as an introduction to the characters if nothing else, and it's the sort of story you can expect from Trek.

The last of the three is "The Measure of a Man". Now no matter how badly the first two seasons aged, or how poor some of the episodes were to begin with, that is one of THE Data episodes in the series. Definitely on a must see list. It's just one of the best episodes of the whole series.

Come to think of it, I possibly should have included "The Big Goodbye" as a decent season 1 episode as well. Sure, holodeck malfunction episodes got overdone later in Trek as a whole, but this was another good episode.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
OK, I need help.
(Yeah, I'm sure some of you have been thinking that for a while now, but seriously...)
One of my coworkers told me tonight that she's never seen Star Trek. Any of it.
I was stunned...

Holy smeg! She doesn't know Roger Moore, Anthony Perkins, or James Bond either! I mentioned Hitchcock, and she said "Oh! I remember! That Will Smith movie." Uhg. The pain... The pain...

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I once worked with a guy around my own age who had never seen anything Star Wars, and knew nothing of it. He didn't know who the "black robot" was. I can't wrap my mind around how someone can live in this world and be completely ignorant of one of the biggest pop culture icons (Star Wars) that seems ubiquitous around us all.

I've never heard, (to my knowledge), a Justin Beiber song, but I know who he is. I've never seen a single scene from Sex and the City, but I know what it is, and even who Carry Bradshaw is.

Not knowing anything about Star Trek? This is sort of like not knowing what country you live it.

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
I once worked with a guy around my own age who had never seen anything Star Wars, and knew nothing of it. He didn't know who the "black robot" was. I can't wrap my mind around how someone can live in this world and be completely ignorant of one of the biggest pop culture icons (Star Wars) that seems ubiquitous around us all.

I've never heard, (to my knowledge), a Justin Beiber song, but I know who he is. I've never seen a single scene from Sex and the City, but I know what it is, and even who Carry Bradshaw is.

Not knowing anything about Star Trek? This is sort of like not knowing what country you live it.

Bullgrit

I hate to be the voice of reason and tolerance here, but I think we have to balance that each person's knowledge and exposure to Media elements varies.

At some point, I'd never seen a Doctor Who, or knew what a Bronie was. And at some point, I've exposed somebody else to Doctor Who and explained what a Bronie was.

I'm not sure if knowing what Star Trek is qualifies as failing a citizenship test.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads