• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do I eldritch knight?

I love mage knight types.

I know that the eldritch knight is something of a trap, but let's just assume that I want to spring the trap. I think what I'd like to do is to take some number of levels in fighter before multi-classing into wizard for a while. In terms of spells, I'd love to be able to eventually use some battlefield control spells: where the wizard is truly a beast. With that in mind, here are some initial questions:
  • We rolled stats: how would you recommend assigning this stat array: 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 16 (I rolled well)
  • What's the lowest level at which you'd advice multiclassing into wizard? Certainly not before lvl 5 for extra attack, but when after that? It's hard to choose when the goodies keep coming level after level.
  • Any other thoughts or advice?

At this point, I'd really appreciate anyone who'd be willing to give me their initial $0.02. My first session of this new campaign is in a couple of hours. I intended to be a wizard, but, as the group has come together, our front line is pretty thin, so I think that I might want to bolster it.

Thanks!

My two cents: Your 16's should go in Strength and Intelligence. Third highest Constitution. The rest is at your discretion.

I would shoot for War Magic as quickly as possible, at level 7. Level 6 could work too, at that point you'd have gotten both Strength and Intelligence up to a +4. At some point you'll likely want to return to grab your third melee attack at level 12, unless you're wanting more magic than martial. I've been trying to find the right balance to convert my 4e Swordmage but it's incredibly difficult, for that particular situation.

Another note:The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is coming in a month or so, and it sounds like it may have Cantrips and other spells that could really support an Eldritch Knight more - likely do to the Bladesinger also coming in that book.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Personally I Eldritch Knight by ignoring everything Evocation and just keeping it for Shield, Haste, Hex and the like.

UnadvisedGoose445, that was quite helpful and exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks!

ExploderWizard, I was being facetious.

Yunru, I'm still thinking about the eventual balance that I'll want to strike between fighter and wizard. In any case, evocation won't be the path given the limited spell levels and what not. I'll have to do a deeper dive to figure out how far into wizarding he'll be able to go.

I've put together a character for tonight. He'll never be optimal, but I think that he can be good enough. I'm really loving the story that I'm putting together for him, and I think that he should be fun to play... as long as he doesn't turn into a mechanical disaster!

Thanks, guys.

On a bit more serious note- A player recently joined one of my campaigns and is playing an eldritch knight. He put his best stats into DEX and INT. He fights as a finesse fighter with a rapier and shield, took the dueling style and with an 18 DEX has an AC of 19 with just mage armor and a shield. He is fairly effective so far. We are at 7th level and he was holding his own in combat with the rest of the group without multi-classing.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
I love mage knight types.

I know that the eldritch knight is something of a trap...

Is it? What level does the trap reveal itself. My character is level 11 now and I'm quite enjoying it. He doesn't do a heap of damage, but he certainly locks down the battlefield and can bring in some interesting tricks.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Yeah, I think Eldritch Knight is well designed. No need to multiclass. I know it is too late, but Eladrin were practically designed to be Eldritch Knights.

Remove ads