How Do YOU Envision 4th Edition?

Weregrognard

First Post
For me, it's probably a mish-mash of all the fantasy media I've been exposed to throughout the years, from novels, to movies, to comics, to anime, etc. It's a mess :)

As a tabletop wargame.

Honestly, 4E is so non-immersive/simulationist that it's impossible for me to imagine the characters as anything other than "tokens" in a game.

I'm so sorry.
My experience is entirely opposite. My exposure to RPGs makes me imagine any kind of game as an RPG, even Monopoly!

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
Mostly how I imagine it is based on what I've seen recently. If I've been watching live action I see it in live action. Animé to animé, CG to CG.

My biggest hiccup, however, is that I can't keep faux-medieval civilization straight in my head. I need someone else to be presenting the towns and other ancient-style buildings or my mind drifts into "D&D in modern-looking locations". Likewise airships and other technology is going to pop up.

Wombat

First Post
I envision 4e, like most of D&D, as a "kitchen sink" approach to fantasy (and even a fair amount of scifi) -- take all the possible elements, stir them together without regard for the meaning or background, and set loose.

This is why my own D&D games looked little like RAW -- I had to do a lot of judicious editing to create an image that I wanted, which was both of a much lower scale and involving far fewer number and types of critters, treasures, classes, and the like.

Mercule

Adventurer
A bit of "Medieval Battle 2" and "How it Will Look, In Real Combat". Basically, the mood lighting of the former, with the body count of the latter.

Remove ads