• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you generate ability scores for PCs?

How do you generate ability scores?

• Standard (27 point) buy

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Standard roll 4d6 drop lowest, no re-rolls

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Choose either of the standard systems (no rerolls if 4d6 drop)

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Roll 4d6, reroll low rolls or roll multiple times

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Assign stats however you feel

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 28.7%

Oofta

Legend
I don't want to start another point buy vs roll thread, but I was curious how people generate ability scores.

I've always been a fan of some variation of point buy, but I've also done a lot of living campaign games.

Shiroiken

Legend
My current campaign is epic style, so I didn't want any "weak" characters. The method being used is roll 4d6 as normal, but may revert to Standard Array. This allows for great rolls, with a fallback minimum. Point Buy is not allowed.

My next campaign will have each player owning several characters. The method will be 4d6 in order, creating 3 sets. One set will be used for the character, and one set will be set aside to be the first set of the next character. Each character must be played once before another character can be created. Point Buy will not be allowed.

(1) Choose a point buy value target. This can be a specific number or a range.

(2) Roll an array of 4d6 drop lowest.

(3) If the point buy value of the array is above the target, roll 1d6 to choose a random score and subtract 1 from it. If it's below the target, add 1 instead.

(4) Repeat (3) until target is reached.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
Until recently I was using this rolled array hybrid:

Roll 14d6. Drop the two lowest rolls. Add two rolled numbers to one number from the following array: 6 5 5 4 4 3. Each number can only be used once. Arrange as desired.

I was allowing the players to reroll if their total dice added up to 42 or less.

However, this lead to PC stats being slightly higher than I intended, so I came up with the following instead:

All of the methods from the PHB are allowed, as is the above rolled array hybrid (and a few other hybrid variants). If, after rolling, the players don't like their stats they may choose to use either this array (16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 6) or PHB point-buy. This way, rather than trending high they will trend towards the average with high rolls being unusual and exceptional (which is what I'm aiming for).

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Point buy.

We used used to use the roll system but over time we noticed that if folks wanted a certain character concept or playstyle, we can adjust the campaign or points from point buy accordingly.

Of course, this might seem to remove the option of playing a flawed characer. But again, if that's what the player wants, we can simply adjust the point buy or campaign accordingly.

It also allows players to rock up to other groups with minimal fuss, assuming that said group is also using point buy and we haven't tinkered too much with the class/gear/setup.

S

Sunseeker

4d6, re-roll or add 1's. Roll 7 times, drop lowest. May roll 2 sets, if you don't like either set, can use my custom array: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I think there's a lot of variation encompassed in the 4th option (4d6 multiple rolls or rerolls). When I read this response, I think of something along the lines of rolling 6 sets of stats and picking your favorite. However, it would also include rerolling in only the most extreme cases (such as a 9 as your highest ability score) or generating whole notebook pages of stat arrays and picking your favorite. Technically, these are both 4d6 with multiple rolls or rerolls, but they have far more in common with 4d6 without rerolls and with assigning stats however you feel like than they do with each other.

Personally, I prefer 4d6 with only occasional rerolls (using the 3rd edition rules as rough guidelines), but I wasn't sure whether to vote for the 4th option, which is technically correct, or the 2nd, which I think better reflects the spirit of this method.

Remove ads