• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle Experience Points?

DMs: How do you give Experience Points?

herrozerro

First Post
I like savage world's XP system. 1-3 xp per session for the whole party depending on how much got done. every 5 xp is an advance, every 20 xp is a new tier.

It's simple, no more fiddling with hundreds of xp, and it's small enough in scale where most games a party will advance every other session or so. Which means more stuff faster.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For any level-based d20-ish system except D&D 3.5e (that is, just about everything I run), I just have everyone level up once every 3 sessions or so. Even if the player missed one (or even all three!) sessions, the character still levels up.

I don't really care what 5e does. It is my intent to follow the same scheme of "level every 3 sessions", so as long as 5e doesn't do something that prevents that working, I'll be quite happy.
This brings up a corollary question: how real-time long do you want or expect your campaigns to last? Levelling every 3 sessions means that at 3 sessions a month (not an unreasonable pace) you'll be 24th level after 2 years and 60th level after 5. Most systems don't go that high, or certainly don't do it well. :)

I expect my campaigns to last a lot longer than just a few years and would thus prefer a very slow (by these standards) advancement rate. If the average party level goes up by one or maybe two in a year that's fine, any faster than that and I'll run out of playable level range long before I run out of campaign.

Lanefan

delericho

Legend
This brings up a corollary question: how real-time long do you want or expect your campaigns to last?

Yes, a very valid (and important) question.

Levelling every 3 sessions means that at 3 sessions a month (not an unreasonable pace) you'll be 24th level after 2 years and 60th level after 5. Most systems don't go that high, or certainly don't do it well. :)

We generally play two sessions a month. My most recent campaign lasted a little under 3 years but had some gaps - the characters advanced from 1st to 15th level.

But that campaign was something of an exception for us (and me) - generally, I'd expect a campaign to run for a calendar year (roughly), meaning that characters would generally advance 1st -> 9th in that time. (12 months = 24 sessions = 8 levels gained.)

Remove ads