• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you handle Random Encounters?

MostlyDm

Explorer
I'm curious how/when other people employ random events and encounters. I'm not making a poll because I don't really care about poll results, I'm more interested in the explanations people provide for their positions, and the conversations we can have.

Do you use random encounters? Do you make tables and check events off of them? Do your random encounters typically just consist of a single group of hostile or nonhostile NPCs cross paths with the party?

For those that care, here's what I do (feel free to skip it, it's a little long):

I mostly run open-world sandbox style games, so some time ago I realized I wanted a dynamic and reusable way to generate random encounters. So, for a given location, I will generate a table. I keep the entries in the table fairly generic (see below for some examples) and flexible.

Then, I pick a black die and a white die and roll twice on the table. The two results get combined to generate a random encounter. If appropriate, I assume the results of the black die are antagonizing the white die.

Here's an excerpt of some of the nastier entries in a larger table for the slums of a major, utterly lawless metropolis in one of my homebrew settings, just to give you a feel for the level of generic that I'm going for:

1. Urchins, begging, picking pockets, scrapping among themselves, etc.
  2. Brawl, perhaps among low-ranking members of gangs, or one that has spilled out of a nearby tavern into the streets.
  3. Street vendor selling cheap food, drink, or other sundries. Or possibly trying to draw business to a nearby stationary shop/tavern/etc.
  4. Cultists, such as worshipers of the Thin Mage, mad silent devotees of the Nameless Gods, members of the Long Night, devout farmers preaching about the Mother’s Midsummer, etc.
  5. Monstrous Humanoids such as orcs, kobolds, etc. Perhaps living shunned lives in squalor of the slums, or sneaking into the city to raid. If anywhere near south-eastern Underside, likely to be kobold raiders until Reptilian Rats event is completed.
  6. Wild animals, perhaps a pack of feral dogs or cats, or rats, or something less common.
  7. Monster, if near the Midden could be a Carrior Crawler or Otyugh. If near Shadow Cliffs could be underdark monster or similar. If in Bridge District, especially on Gravewheat side, could be wyvern. If in doubt roll 1d6 exploding for CR.

I've currently got 20 entries for the slums, and a few different (albeit similar) tables for the other parts of the city.

With a table like this, I still need to employ a large amount of improvisation, which suits my style very well. But the table can be reused many, many times, and each time it will help me to quickly generate a unique encounter.

Because I roll twice and create an event based on the interplay between the two rolls, the random encounter typically feels more like a living event that the party has chanced upon. It also provides some insulation if a low level party rolls an unlikely encounter with a rampaging wyvern or something, since what they'll see is a wyvern in the process of ripping apart a bunch of urchins or whatever. They can simply flee and count their blessings, if they choose.

Sometimes the event doesn't cry out for player involvement at all. I once ended up rolling an event that boiled down to a crowd viciously heckling a fanatic proselytizing in the streets. The party listened in for a bit, I think one person tried to defuse the situation, then they shrugged and moved on.

Personally, I love stuff like that. The goal is to help the world feel real and living, not specifically to create exciting combat encounters or high-stakes negotiations or whatever.

It's probably worth acknowledging that I do also sometimes create more specific random encounter lists, for specific locations or situations. For example, in my Expedition to the Halls of Madness adventure (same homebrew world as above, one-shot high-lethality module), I have a very specific encounter table. (Note: If you're in this game, please stop reading now.)

So this one has much more specific entries, like cultists and goblins that are plaguing the area, and the "Lone NPC, roll again and consult below" entry that includes highly specific named NPCs like this:

1. A Deep Scion, posing as an adventurer named Gareth that is trying to find the Expedition. Will join up free of charge, in exchange for a share of the loot. Will try to get info on the team and the Expedition, will betray party at worst moment in Temple or Halls. Goal is to bring one or more people alive down to the Halls of Madness to be enslaved.
  2. A mad cultist (Kraken Priest) of the Nameless Gods, his body twisted into something alien. Tentacles hang from his face like a beard, his flesh is mottled blue and white and slimy to the touch, and eyeballs blink from scattered places across his body. He rants about the “Unnamed Divine that dwells beneath the Temple” and the “holy Halls of Knowledge.” Can be fairly easily avoided, but if the party gets too close and seems to dismiss his proselytizing, he will turn aggressive very quickly.
  3. A wandering half-elven Druid of the Long Night Cult (caster level 5, replace animal messenger w/ heat metal, add sleet storm and conjure animals and 2 level 3 slots). If any party member is in the Long Night, they can identify this Druid as a fellow cultist named Loreth, and he will be willing to join the party in exchange for a share of any unique loot and an oath of service from the Long Night member. Otherwise, he may follow the party and attempt to hamper them during a fight, kill unattended animals, or otherwise cause mayhem.
  4. An injured Veteran (-4d6 HP) named Branson and an unconscious allied Scout named Vera, returning from a short excursion to scout the Keep. Rest of their party was wiped out by goblins and traps. He is dragging the Scout on a litter back to the Expedition camp. In the litter he also has a sack of jingly loot (and then a description his loot, likelihood of his making it back to the Expedition alive on his own, likelihood of being tracked by goblins if PCs help him go back, etc.)

These tables can be fun, but ultimately I usually find them to be too much prep for not enough payoff. They kind of incentivize reusing them or otherwise forcing the party to run into them, since they require a fair bit of specific prep and consideration. I usually only do these for modules I plan on running multiple times for different groups, or in specific situations where I think it's warranted.

Mostly, I prefer the more fluid method detailed above.

So, as always, if you read this far, thanks! How do you handle random encounters?

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I use random encounters, though I expect that my definition of "encounter" includes your definition of "event" because my random encounters do not assume a particular sort of response from either side.

When not using published material that includes random encounter lists, which I use when available, I don't really formalize a list of things that can happen. I just check for an encounter (I've adopted the 5th edition roll 1d20, encounter occurs on 18+ method) and then insert whatever comes to mind that makes sense to me for the current circumstances and seems interesting, and let the players set the tone of the encounter by their making the first interaction - I'll describe what they see up ahead, but not put any particular bent to it if I can avoid doing so.

For a probably not completely great example: The player characters were on the road traveling across a nation in which political climate was building to war between the current government, and the remnants of the imperial establishment that was relatively recently removed from power. So it made sense in their travels that the characters saw troop movements, scouting parties, and the like. So for one encounter is specific, I set up the scene roughly as, "While you are stopped along the road, preparing your mid-day meal, a handful of figures crest a nearby hill. They stop atop the hill, seeing you, and you can see that they are dressed in imperial uniform, and mounted on the dire wolves that are typical of imperial cavalry. The leader among their unit is highly decorated. What do you do?"

The set up explaining to the characters what they see, but not presuming context of how the encounter will play out. The players will indicate to me, with their answers to my question of what they do, what kind of encounter they want for this one to be. If they ready against attack, they are saying they expect this to be tense if not outright conflict. If they attack, that's obviously saying they want combat. If they issue polite greetings, they are saying they'd like to at least start with some conversation.

It's actually rather difficult for me to explain the "process" I use, because I don't actually think about it much - I just improvise at the table, with the only set piece of the puzzle being that I pre-determine for the area the characters are in how often the 18+ on a d20 encounter check is made.

MostlyDm

Explorer
It's actually rather difficult for me to explain the "process" I use, because I don't actually think about it much - I just improvise at the table, with the only set piece of the puzzle being that I pre-determine for the area the characters are in how often the 18+ on a d20 encounter check is made.

I think you explained it well, actually. It's more of a pure improv style.

I have to commend you... I used to use pure improv more often. And still do for some games... Personally, I think I find it easier to do in games with either a stronger story or just a huge weight of table history behind them. For example, for a game I've been running for 5+ years in a pseudo-historical setting, I don't use tables at all. I know the party and the locations and their history so well that it's really easy to draw inspiration for improv encounters from that shared history.

I think I fell into using the tables above when I started running a lot more 5e games. Due to new players, homebrew world I'm still developing, and the dense creature variety of 5e... I sometimes found myself scrambling to come up with fun and unique encounters when relying solely on improv.

The loose tables helped a lot.

So yeah... if you've stuck with a pure improv style for random encounters consistently, and been able to keep them dynamic and fresh, that's awesome. Kudos!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I do a mix of both. I run a home brew campaign in which I write many of my adventures, but also re-purpose published material.

I have a number of random tables that I've created for different areas or specific adventures that are basically lists of skeletal event outlines. They require a lot of improvisation, but since I made the world, it isn't too hard to come up with situations and characters that fit the locations. Where I do have issues improvising is names. With some areas where the cultures are loosly based off of real cultures I can't usually come up with something on the fly, but I based the Dwarven and Elvan languages on Tolkien's...so I also need random tables for names of common cultures. Especially Dwarven names which I've made complicated as hell (based on the Dwarrow Scholar's excellent blog posts and You Tube material).

But for specific adventures or locations, I enjoy taking the time to craft random encounter and rumor tables. It is fun to prep and adds a lot of flavor to the game. For those tables where I put in a lot of time an detail, I try to make them re-usuable. One thing I like to do is if I have a particularly fun NPC I created, I'll have him appear in multiple random tables across adventures and locations. That way it is more likely that the party encounters him and if they encounter him multiple times, that's fun as well.

I've tried using tools like Inspiration Pad for random encounters, but it ended up being just another thing to deal with during the game. Now I just put them in Realm Works as static tables, but with the benefit that things are cross linked. If the random encounter is bandits ambusing the party along the highway, I click on the link for bandits which brings me to the entry on bandits and I can push the bandit info into HeroLabs. YouTuber "DePlunk" has some videos on how he does random encounters in Realm Works an how he integrates Hero Labs content, if you are interested. The reason why I like using RW and HL with random encounters is that I prevents having to have all the possible outcomes printed out and leafing through them, or leafing back and forth through one or more bestiaries to run the encounter.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Fun thread!

I'm most inspired by random encounters that establish atmosphere.

If I were preparing for the party to take a long journey through the forest, I would consult the list of forest monsters and see what jumps out at me. Then I'd indulge myself and go all out designing a handful of really dynamic encounters that I'm excited to run.

Once I have a suitable number assembled, I build a random encounter table. As the party travels, I check for random encounters based on how active the area is.

I like the polish of pre-planning, and it sets me up for success when I'm familiar with the monsters and invested in the encounter.

:)

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
There's nothing worse than a random encounter that disrupts the flow, feels superfluous, or catches the DM unprepared.

#TwoCents

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
But for specific adventures or locations, I enjoy taking the time to craft random encounter and rumor tables. It is fun to prep and adds a lot of flavor to the game. For those tables where I put in a lot of time an detail, I try to make them re-usuable. One thing I like to do is if I have a particularly fun NPC I created, I'll have him appear in multiple random tables across adventures and locations. That way it is more likely that the party encounters him and if they encounter him multiple times, that's fun as well.
How hard is it when you're really excited about an encounter that just never comes up!?

:p

Dualazi

First Post
There's nothing worse than a random encounter that disrupts the flow, feels superfluous, or catches the DM unprepared.

#TwoCents

Alternatively, they can be fantastic aids in creating a living, breathing world full of the unexpected. Not all random encounters have to end in violence, they can be an easy way to introduce NPCs, limited-offer shops or resources, otherworldly geography, or future adventure sites. They’re also decent filler, if you need such things while the party reaches a decision, or if key members of the group are absent but you still want to play.

How hard is it when you're really excited about an encounter that just never comes up!?

:p

I can’t speak for MN, but when it comes to combat at least, I keep 4-5 tilesets prepped that are usable with a wide range of foes and simply plug whatever they encountered into these maps. It doesn’t have the pizzazz of a climactic boss fight, and so I’m usually not too upset if a certain pack isn’t fought. If I get that attached to the idea of one of the random encounters, I’d rather just incorporate into the actual plot.

To Answer the OP, I usually roll once per day and night when the players are in the wilderness (or other dangerous turf), and then roll on a table I’ve made for random encounters, though it needs updating.

discosoc

First Post
I don't, after about level 5 or 6. That's when magic abuse tends to remove any sort of danger to the really fun creative ones.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't really do "random" encounters, at least not where I roll on a table. There are story arc encounters and non-story arc encounters, and for the non-story arc encounters its whatever sounds interesting to me and is appropriate to the environment. The randomness is me looking through the Monster Manual or Tome of Beasts and going "that looks interesting, and it would fit in my game".

Remove ads