• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "dweomer"?

• Dew-oh-mer

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Dway-oh-mer

Votes: 40 10.6%
  • Dwee-mer

Votes: 76 20.2%
  • Dwee-oh-mer

Votes: 109 28.9%
  • Dwem-mer

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • Dwim-mer

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Dwoh-mer

Votes: 69 18.3%
  • I don't say it! :)

Votes: 19 5.0%

Zander

Explorer

If your pronunciation isn't listed exactly as you say it, please choose the option that comes closest.

NB I'm trying to find out how it is used in practice, not what its correct pronunciation is which has already been discussed on these boards. ;)

Last edited:

arscott

First Post
I'll say it "DWEE-oh-mer" the first time, and then immediately realize it's wrong and say "DWIM-mer" from then on.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
"Dwimmer" was the Old English. "Dweomer" the earlier Saxon. The "dw" really represents a sound no longer found in English. So if you pronounce it as "d eliding (kind of like sliding but not really) into w" you're not even close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. The "e" modifies the previous sound, with the "o" being the next truly distinct vocalization.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I say, "DWEE-mer", and have since reading Greyhawk: Saga of Old City by Gary Gygax.

(paraphrasing)
Dwarf: Zis dagger has a dveemer zat makes it...
Gord: Excuse me?
Dwarf: A dvee-mer zat makes it...
Gord: A what?
Dwarf: A DVEE-MER! Uhnd Enchantment!

So I'm guessing gary says "DWEE-mer", and that's how I've used it.

Wyrm Pilot

First Post
You don't have an option on the poll for "Other" -- I pronounce it "Throatwarbler Mangrove." ;)

No, I really pronounce it "dwee-oh-mer" under the exceedingly rare circumstance that I actually say it.

Cheers,
Wyrm Pilot

Huw

First Post
mythusmage said:
"Dwimmer" was the Old English. "Dweomer" the earlier Saxon. The "dw" really represents a sound no longer found in English. So if you pronounce it as "d eliding (kind of like sliding but not really) into w" you're not even close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. The "e" modifies the previous sound, with the "o" being the next truly distinct vocalization.

I had to read this three times to get it, and I know what he's talking about! (sorry, mythusmage)

Translation: There's an Old English diphthong using a vowel no longer in English. The sequence "weo" is an approximation of that diphthong.

Addenda: Another alternative spelling is "demer". An alternative meaning is "juggling". The etymology is unknown (possibly, but unlikely, related to "dim" - in the sense of hidden). Like it or not, modern readers will pronounce the "dw" as "dw" (even me, and I'm a language pedant - actually, I'll just say "magic").

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads