• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "dweomer"?

• Dew-oh-mer

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Dway-oh-mer

Votes: 40 10.6%
  • Dwee-mer

Votes: 76 20.2%
  • Dwee-oh-mer

Votes: 109 28.9%
  • Dwem-mer

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • Dwim-mer

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Dwoh-mer

Votes: 69 18.3%
  • I don't say it! :)

Votes: 19 5.0%

Mercule

Adventurer
"Dweemer".

mythusmage said:
"Dwimmer" was the Old English. "Dweomer" the earlier Saxon. The "dw" really represents a sound no longer found in English. So if you pronounce it as "d eliding (kind of like sliding but not really) into w" you're not even close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. The "e" modifies the previous sound, with the "o" being the next truly distinct vocalization.

Erm.... So, how can I approximate the correct sound?

Voadam

Legend
Fun with Phonics

An unknown word I had never heard spoken when I first read it. Sound it out using standard pronunciation rules. So: "Dwee Oh Mer." And that is how I've always said it.

punterke

First Post
I often pronounce monsters in Dutch and don't think pronounciation is that important. It's quite possible that the villagers will pronounce it different in the next village. Standard languages (official dialects) are something from the Modern Age. I don't use it in my games.

Mycanid

First Post
Hmm ... I always pronounced it "Dweh - mer".

I think it was from hearing somebody reading a book on tape pronouncing the word that way. :\

Ranger REG

Explorer
Zander said:

If your pronunciation isn't listed exactly as you say it, please choose the option that comes closest.
Like how I pronounce Worcestershire sauce, I murmur the word quickly, "dwmrr."

:p

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
I pronounce it the correct way. ;)

Kinda sad to look at those numbers up there, though. I thought D&D players were stereotypically smart... :uhoh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads