• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "dweomer"?

How do you pronounce "dweomer"?

• Dew-oh-mer

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Dway-oh-mer

Votes: 40 10.6%
  • Dwee-mer

Votes: 76 20.2%
  • Dwee-oh-mer

Votes: 109 28.9%
  • Dwem-mer

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • Dwim-mer

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Dwoh-mer

Votes: 69 18.3%
  • I don't say it! :)

Votes: 19 5.0%

Dwee-oh-murr. Only because that's the way it's SPELLED, and who the hell ever HEARD this word in use before they read it to actually know any better? :) It doesn't even appear in any but the fattest, oldest dictionaries. I may have actually thought it was even made up for a long time. I know I never heard anybody use it in audible speech until maybe 2 years ago - which was probably about the time I'd actually read a statement from someone that suggested it might NOT be pronounced the way it's spelled.

Zander

Explorer
I should throw in my 2 cp's worth as I started this...

Rightly or wrongly, I pronounce "Beowulf" bay-oh-woolf", "Eomer" ay-oh-mer and "Eowyn" ay-oh-win. For the sake of consistency, I pronounce "dweomer" dway-oh-mer. In all four cases, the ay is quick and soft flowing into the oh phoneme, so that ay-oh is almost a diphthong. YMMV

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Zander said:
Rightly or wrongly, I pronounce "Beowulf" bay-oh-woolf", "Eomer" ay-oh-mer and "Eowyn" ay-oh-win. For the sake of consistency, I pronounce "dweomer" dway-oh-mer. In all four cases, the ay is quick and soft flowing into the oh phoneme, so that ay-oh is almost a diphthong. YMMV

What he said.

Now, about that gnoll...

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
DestroyYouAlot said:
What he said.

Now, about that gnoll...

That goes back aways. Seems one of the critters got hisself kilt, then animated by an evil priest. But before the animation happened the poor fellow was buried under a stream bed, and over the years, remarkably enough, his flesh became fossilized.

Anyway, while on a mission for his master the fossilzed zombie gnoll got zapped by a Stone to Mud. He managed to "survive" somehow, and in due time the mud dried and became dirt.

He later accompanied his master on another job, and on the way there they passed through a meadow in seed. Some of the grain landed on the zombie's dirt and managed to sprout. In due time the chap was covered in a most unusual lawn. And that is the origin of the grassy gnoll.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I had to say it aloud to myself a few times to figure out how I say it... and danged if I have a weird way of doing so.

The "dw" at the beginning I pronounce softly - kind of like the "dw" leading "dwarf" but with a little bit of a "j" sound mixed in. Kind of a "dzhw" sound (or if you know Hungarian, a "gy" in that language).

The eo gets turned into an "o" with an umlaut... kind of halfway between an "e" and an "o" that sounds to the uncivilized American ear ;) like an "uh."

The last syllable is "mer" as in "mermaid," of course.

The closest option to "dzhwömer" above was "dwemmer" even if that doesn't sound close to the way I actually say it.

Sejs

First Post
Like "bow".

...wait, wrong discussion.

I pronounce it dwee-oh-mer. When I have to say it. Which is not often, as I avoid it when possible. It is a clumsy, stumbling ass of a word. Fits with normal parlance like gravel fits in a meringue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads