D&D 5E How does Careful Spell metamagic work with Web?

ECMO3

Hero
From the description of web:
Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is restrained as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free.

Careful Spell:
When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell.

So if I cast a Web on a melee scrum with a bunch of good and bad guys and use Careful Spell to make my allies pass their saves what happens? Does that mean they can walk around the web with imunity to being restrained? Does it mean they make their save theon the first turn? Does it do nothing at all because the save was not on the same turn as the casting? What if I designate an ally who is not in the web when I cast it, but he walks into it on a later round?

Dausuul

Legend
I'd rule only the first save (at the start of their 1st turn after you cast it).

After that, it's business as usual.
Yeah, that would be my ruling.

The most rigorous interpretation would be that Careful Spell doesn't work on web at all; but I think letting it work on the first save is a reasonable stretch.

RAW: Web does not force a saving throw on casting, it forces a saving throw on start of creature's turn. Careful metamagic does nothing.

What I'd rule: I'd let it apply to the first save under the spirit of the rule.

Yeah, it signifies avoiding your teammates as it springs into being (giving them a turn to get out of the radius) but after that they're at just as much of a risk of getting stuck as anyone else.

Remove ads