D&D 5E How far can I throw a goblin?

Jon Gaunt

Villager
I'm hoping for some thoughts from other DMs out there on throwing objects or enemies. Here's the scenario. A Goliath character with a STR of 18 has a CC of 15x18x2 (from Powerful Build) = 540. His lift/pull/drag capacity is 540x2 = 1080. If benefiting from and Enlarge/Reduce spell (Enlarged) he would be size L and his capacities would double again, resulting in a CC = 1080 and a lift/pull/drag capacity of 2160. If he were to grapple a goblin one round, could he throw, and if so, how far could he throw, the goblin on a subsequent round? And how much damage would the goblin take?

I'm assuming...

1. The Goliath still benefits from the x2 bonus from the Enlarge spell despite being considered size L due to Powerful Build. I don't know of any errata for this scenario, so I'd allow it unless stated otherwise.
2. Since said Goliath is probably not proficient in the 'throwing goblin weapon', so he'd lose his proficiency bonus to actually hit anything. However, odds are, he's just aiming for a wall, or a bunch of other goblins!

Thoughts?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Here is our house-rule:

1646183396853.png

Given your scenario: enlarged "Large" Goliath throwing a small goblin.

Goliath has a reach of 5 feet. So, he can throw the goblin 15 feet (5 base, + 5 for small-medium difference + 5 for small-large difference). Due the powerful build feature, you might add another 5 feet for a total of 20 feet.

If you were feeling really generous, double the distance for powerful build (instead of adding an additional 5 feet) to 30 feet...

Regardless, the goblin would then take 2d6 (20 feet, or 3d6 for 30 feet option) damage if it is thrown into a solid object. Maybe half damage on a DEX save or if the object is not as solid, etc.

Something like that. Hope it helps and welcome to the forum! :)

EDIT: if the goliath threw the goblin as an "attack", damage to the target would be 2d4 (1d4 for improvised + 1d4 for enlarge) + STR modifier. Since it is an improvised weapon, you are correct in not including proficiency bonus. A case where Tavern Brawler would be very useful. ;)

Last edited:

Treat as a thrown weapon, perhaps with disadvantage if the goblin is alive and squirming. Damage is 1d6+strength mod to target and goblin. I'd also consider giving the goblin some kind of check to screw up the throw, but it depends on what's the most fun.
THIS^^^

Ok... I am really more generous than my previous friends above me.

Our goliath here is already counting as a large creature, an enlarge spell should bring him on par with a Hill giant. So that means huge. In all other respect our goliath should be entitled for the additional d4 that the enlarge spell would allow him to add to the damage. But how much damage should he do with our poor goblin?

A hill giant can throw a boulder for 3d10 +5 at 60/240... The boulder isn't really aerodynamic but so isn't our poor goblin. If I remember correctly, a boulder of that size is around Feeling generous, I would allow half range or 30/120 and our goblin would cause about 2d4 damage + our Our goblin weights about a quarter of what a giant's boulder does (around 200 pounds if I remember correctly) so a quarter of the average damage should be done. The average of 3d10 is 20 so a quarter is 5. 2d4 sounds about right. So in total, our goblin, if slammed onto a creature would suffer and deal 2d4 + 1d4 for enlarge + the goliath's strength modifier.

If our goliath feels particularly devious, he could throw the goblin in the air and let gravity do its work... 120 feet in the air is 10d6 by the way.

aco175

Legend
Seems like a lot of variables with a squirming goblin. I would tend to go with something like 5ft times strength mod, plus 1d4 times 5ft. Likely give another 1d4 for being 'large' in this instance. Total being 20ft (18str) plus another 20 to 30 ft from the (2d4) rolls (average).

First question is, do you even lift bro? Do you even lift?

I’d rule much like DNDReborn that throwing a squirming creature takes a second grapple test, not a second action, but a second test, to see if you can ball the grappled thing in your throwing action.

Then I’d follow the “fling” abilities some giants have as alternative abilities in SKT for distance…sixty feet, if the thrower counts as “huge”. Powerful Build doesn’t count for throwing, unless it’s fun. In this case I’d say the fun test is passed, but up to you. So if you grant fun, sixty feet for the Goliath. If not a Goliath, or you refuse fun, and thrower is just large, I’d say half distance, so 30 ft. If no enlarge, or enlarge just gets them one size larger, if thrower is a size larger and follows the double grapple idea, another half, 15ft. If same size and you do the second grapple test, I’d say double shoving distance, 10ft.

I made this all up in the last 20 minutes, it is not playtested, but it feels fun, and that’s all that matters, so I will be using it If this ever comes up. Also, be nicer to Goblins.

Last edited:

Remove ads